Use for old / small SSD

OswaldOtte

I found some old hard drives in my parts bin. A dozen 2.5 and even 3.5 HDD that I probably should just throw away. They are worth less then the effort to find out if they still work. What would be a good tool to check their health?

But... also found some 256 Gb SSD. I will put those in old Playstation consoles just for fun. Will try to get my lazy 9 year old involved in the process.

But... also an old 30 Gb SSD. But I can't think of any use for that. It used to be a boot disc until a Windows update pushed the OS size over the disc capacity. Any fun ideas / cool projects? Apart from smashing it with a hamer.

if you have hard drives in your system, you can set it up as a cache for one of those drives. should speed it up a bit.

5 minutes ago, OswaldOtte said:

I found some old hard drives in my parts bin. A dozen 2.5 and even 3.5 HDD that I probably should just throw away. They are worth less then the effort to find out if they still work. What would be a good tool to check their health?

But... also found some 256 Gb SSD. I will put those in old Playstation consoles just for fun. Will try to get my lazy 9 year old involved in the process.

But... also an old 30 Gb SSD. But I can't think of any use for that. It used to be a boot disc until a Windows update pushed the OS size over the disc capacity. Any fun ideas / cool projects? Apart from smashing it with a hamer.

Don't smash it, older drives are getting rarer and it could be worth something in a while.

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

You could use it as a drive cache for an HDD.

Also please don't smash it.

9 minutes ago, OswaldOtte said:

You could use it as a boot drive for a NAS or a home server in general. 30 GB would be perfect for something like Open Media Vault (great NAS Software with minimum effort), or Ubuntu Server.

And you could use your old HDD's for storage, if you find them in ok or in good health, ofc those wouldn't be reliable and you would have to keep backups, but something like ripped movies or a copy of your family photos in a home NAS would be cool, that way you wouldn't regret even if your HDD's failed on you.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

I remember using it as a cache for awhile. But I don't use a pc anymore. Although I have old computers and parts that are unused. Might be a fun project with my son. (Re)building a computer together. He spends most of his time on XBOX. This way he might get an understanding of how pc or consoles work.

1 minute ago, OswaldOtte said:

I remember using it as a cache for awhile. But I don't use a pc anymore. Although I have old computers and parts that are unused. Might be a fun project with my son. (Re)building a computer together. He spends most of his time on XBOX. This way he might get an understanding of how pc or consoles work.

Well then, you could build a PC together with him with parts lying around, and use it as a NAS, sounds exciting, NGL.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

Does he play Minecraft?

Ifso just get him to build his own server from old parts!

If he doesn't

6 minutes ago, OswaldOtte said:

seems nice

Get a usb to sata adapter and use it as portable hdd.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

We used to play LEGO games together. Now he mainly plays Fortnite with his friends.

I have this 'urge' to build a pc again. But not at current hardware prices. So building something out of old crap might be a cool project. Could keep him interested in gaming with a bit less 'screentime'.

I'm thinking emulation pc now 😁