Minecraft Server Spec's Opinions

Bop

The short of it is I'm looking to build a PC for a Minecraft server for me and my buddys. It'd be consistently 10+ or so of us and we build quite complex farms and stuff so it can be taxing on the server at times.

Basically the question becomes. Does the PC Part Picker build I am linking look okay or should I be switching components out for others? I also need help kinda lowering the budget maybe a little I don't mind spending this much.

Notes: I have a like old AMD Firepro GPU to just stick in there for a GPU output which is why I went with the KF model, and I also have a 1TB SSD that I will plug in to be able to backup my world into so the M.2 is just for OS (Linux) and the server to run on.

PC Part Picker Link

Thanks to anyone who replies and offers feedback!

5 minutes ago, Bop said:

The short of it is I'm looking to build a PC for a Minecraft server for me and my buddys. It'd be consistently 10+ or so of us and we build quite complex farms and stuff so it can be taxing on the server at times.

Basically the question becomes. Does the PC Part Picker build I am linking look okay or should I be switching components out for others? I also need help kinda lowering the budget maybe a little I don't mind spending this much.

Notes: I have a like old AMD Firepro GPU to just stick in there for a GPU output which is why I went with the KF model, and I also have a 1TB SSD that I will plug in to be able to backup my world into so the M.2 is just for OS (Linux) and the server to run on.

PC Part Picker Link

No point for getting more than 4-6 cores, minecraft servers are very single threaded. Also, KF doesn't have igpu, you cant have an f.

2 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

No point for getting more than 4 cores, minecraft servers are very single threaded. Also, KF doesn't have igpu, you cant have an f.

I have a meh GPU for a video out put so I don't need the Igpu, also I figure it gives me the option of hosting more than one easily if I go with a 6-8 Core. It's def overkill but I don't want to have to build another for years basically and the price is getting split between me and my buddy so I can afford to pick a bit bigger parts.

just buy an old dell or hp prebuilt lmfao, or rent a server online so you don't have people connecting to your home ip.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Just now, Bop said:

I have a meh GPU for a video out put so I don't need the Igpu, also I figure it gives me the option of hosting more than one easily if I go with a 6-8 Core. It's def overkill but I don't want to have to build another for years basically and the price is getting split between me and my buddy so I can afford to pick a bit bigger parts.

In that case I would go with 5600x since it has superior single core, if you can find it at msrp.

Also, would go for a p360a case cause it has better airflow

2 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

just buy an old dell or hp prebuilt lmfao, or rent a server online so you don't have people connecting to your home ip.

Or if the OP has a VPN or gets one, people can connect to that right?

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

Just now, TheCoder2019 said:

I don't need to. The people who are connecting are people I trust. Half of them live in my town and I have known for years. I get his logic but at the same time it wasn't at all relevant to what I posted lmao

Just now, TheCoder2019 said:

depends on the vpn, you'd need one that you can port forward on. cloudflare has a free proxy but I don't remember if it has L4 or just L7.

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, Bop said:

I don't need to. The people who are connecting are people I trust. Half of them live in my town and I have known for years. I get his logic but at the same time it wasn't at all relevant to what I posted lmao

Just making me paranoid, that's all.

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

2 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

Just making me paranoid, that's all.

Understandably, but the IP is given and then deleted right after because I am just as cautious about that stuff no worries.

8 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

In that case I would go with 5600x since it has superior single core, if you can find it at msrp.

Also, would go for a p360a case cause it has better airflow

I was looking at that originally but I can't find it anywhere near MSRP so I figured going this would atleast give me a higher base clock speed and i can get it for an okay price enough price

3 minutes ago, Bop said:

Understandably, but the IP is given and then deleted right after because I am just as cautious about that stuff no worries.

you understand every time they connect they connect to your ip.

I wouldn't build a brand new pc for a minecraft server, just buy an old i5/i7 dell or hp prebuilt and add more ram and an ssd if you want, that'll hold up to around 100 players. If you're gonna have people connecting to your home network it's always best to find a way to mask your ip, just wait for a friend to share the ip+port with another friend and it keeps getting shared over and over, until someone has a vendetta and hits your home off or leaks your location etc. also not a great idea to expose your pc itself to the iot.

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

you understand every time they connect they connect to your ip.

I wouldn't build a brand new pc for a minecraft server, just buy an old i5/i7 dell or hp prebuilt and add more ram and an ssd if you want, that'll hold up to around 100 players. If you're gonna have people connecting to your home network it's always best to find a way to mask your ip, just wait for a friend to share the ip+port with another friend and it keeps getting shared over and over, until someone has a vendetta and hits your home off or leaks your location etc. also not a great idea to expose your pc itself to the iot.

I already have an old Dell workstation running our current server and I can tell you right now with the scale of things we do it lags the server lmao. That's why I'm upgrading. I understand the risks of giving out an IP, however I don't have idiot 12 year old friends. We're all adults. I asked about my PC specs, not a lecture on Net Sec. lmao. I have 10+ people all building highly complicated Redstone farms. Each of us with our own 5+ accounts to AFK those farms all the time on separate console clients. The server is his constantly. We can not just have some old dell PC and call it good.

11 minutes ago, Bop said:

I already have an old Dell workstation running our current server and I can tell you right now with the scale of things we do it lags the server lmao. That's why I'm upgrading. I understand the risks of giving out an IP, however I don't have idiot 12 year old friends. We're all adults. I asked about my PC specs, not a lecture on Net Sec. lmao. I have 10+ people all building highly complicated Redstone farms. Each of us with our own 5+ accounts to AFK those farms all the time on separate console clients. The server is his constantly. We can not just have some old dell PC and call it good.

do you have the specs of your dell workstation and are you running on ethernet or wifi? internet speed?

but as for your list, if you're dead set on going on it, you could go with a 10100 and an h410 mobo, minecraft servers are mostly single threaded. I would ditch the h510 too, this case is around $40 and has better airflow.

18 minutes ago, Bop said:

I have 10+ people all building highly complicated Redstone farms. Each of us with our own 5+ accounts to AFK those farms all the time on separate console clients

you should have noted that you'd have 50+ concurrent connections instead of 10, lol, 50 vs 10 is a big difference. 

AMD blackout rig

13 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

it's always best to find a way to mask your ip

Masking IP wont do much in terms of security, what he needs is an isolated network for the publicly accessible server. No lateral movement = no problem, just make sure the router webui not reachable from that network.

On 4/14/2021 at 5:03 AM, Bop said:

PC Part Picker Link

The list looks decent, here some suggestions:

You could switch the i7 for an i5-10600KF to save a bit of money.

You might want to opt for a case with more airflow

I don't know what the current Minecraft server setup is, but as someone who has hosted a few MC servers for friends in the past on crappy old hardware, switching to a paper-mc server made a lot of difference for me in performance. Optimizing software is another route you could go (if you haven't done this already of course).

About me [ Linux Engineer | Community Admin | Automation Fanatic | Digital Media Hoarder | All-Round Tech Lover ]

PC [ Custom | 5800X | RTX 3080 | 32GB | 2x 1TB NVMe | 5120 x 1440 @ 120 | Win10 Pro ]
Laptop [ HP Elitebook 1040 G4 | i7-7500U | 16GB | 512GB NVMe | 1080p @ 120 | ElementaryOS ]
Server [ HP Microserver G8 | Xeon E3-1265L | Quadro P1000 | 16GB ECC | 2x 3TB + 2x 8TB HDD | UNRAID ]