IDE Hard Drive Capacity?

Rocketdog2112

I've been looking for an IDE hard drive for an older motherboard and am curious why they have such low gigabyte capacity compared to a SATA drive?

Most I see start out in single digits and progress up into 20gb, 80gb, 160gb and up to 320gb tops.

Are their storage capabilities different requiring less gigs?

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

12 minutes ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

I've been looking for an IDE hard drive for an older motherboard and am curious why they have such low gigabyte capacity compared to a SATA drive?

Most I see start out in single digits and progress up into 20gb, 80gb, 160gb and up to 320gb tops.

They are lower because they haven't been made in like 10 years. At the time, they had decent capacity. 

15 minutes ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

No, a gigabyte is a gigabyte, regardless of storage medium. The reason they are so small (by today's standards) is simply that IDE drives are so old. Back when IDE was current those capacities where considered large.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I remember when a 20GB drive seemed massive lol

Powerspec 1530 (Clevo PB50DF2) ~ i7 10875H ~ RTX 2070 Super 115W ~ 32GB DDR4 ~ 2x 1TB NVMe ~ 2TB 5400RPM ~ 1080P 240hz matte IPS

Gigabyte G1 GA-970-SLI ~ FX 8320 @ 3.3Ghz, 1212mV ~ 16GB DDR3 ~ Radeon 570 4GB ~ 512GB NVMe ~ 2x 1TB HGST 7200RPM

Xtras ~ Dell 22" 1680x1050 matte IPS monitor ~ Logi M705 mouse ~ PowerA Fusion Pro Xbox One controller ~ Sony XB950N1 headphones ~ Epson V700 film scanner

Streaming Setup ~ OBS Studio with AMF encoding ~ iVCam bridged to LG G6 ~ Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface ~ TONOR condenser cardioid mic