i3-10105f vs i5-10400f for budget gaming

Go to solution Solved by AnirbanG007,
30 minutes ago, Drittzy said:

Hi, I’m working towards acquiring parts for my first PC build and am currently trying to decide between these two CPU’s, with the i3 costing $150 and the i5 $210 (NZD pricing). I game in 1920x1080 and have a 144 refresh rate monitor. I’m on a small budget and so far have my current GTX 1060 3gb, x4 4GB 2400mhz ram, 500gb samsung 870 evo m.2 ssd and a Gigabite b460 aorus pro ac motherboard. Is the i5 a significant upgrade to the i3? I would need to budget the extra cost from a power supply, case and cooling to afford it over the i3. Thanks!

You could get by with 4 cores from an i3, but nowadays, having 6 cores is much better. I'd recommend it over the i3. But nothing beats having a well balanced system, and there's nothing wrong with having an i3 esp if you have to channel funds from other areas. Tell us your full plan about components before I recommend the i3 just because of your budget.

Hi, I’m working towards acquiring parts for my first PC build and am currently trying to decide between these two CPU’s, with the i3 costing $150 and the i5 $210 (NZD pricing). I game in 1920x1080 and have a 144 refresh rate monitor. I’m on a small budget and so far have my current GTX 1060 3gb, x4 4GB 2400mhz ram, 500gb samsung 870 evo m.2 ssd and a Gigabite b460 aorus pro ac motherboard. Is the i5 a significant upgrade to the i3? I would need to budget the extra cost from a power supply, case and cooling to afford it over the i3. Thanks!

30 minutes ago, Drittzy said:

You could get by with 4 cores from an i3, but nowadays, having 6 cores is much better. I'd recommend it over the i3. But nothing beats having a well balanced system, and there's nothing wrong with having an i3 esp if you have to channel funds from other areas. Tell us your full plan about components before I recommend the i3 just because of your budget.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

20 hours ago, Drittzy said:

personally i would not reccomend either because most games say they take the i3 or i5 but that is just to get the game up and running, no real performance. i would go with a i7 or i9 but i know that is not an option for you. you made the right decision in going with the i5 because it will be able to handle more things longer than the i3 will.

most say that the number of cores doesnt matter as most things are done on 1 core and they might be right but that is 1 core as a collective across all the cores of a CPU not just 1 single core. if it was, then the CPU would be burnt up within 2-3 years because of the strees the 1 core is taking before blowing and then the other cores failing one by one.