Do I need an amplifier for this?

jm_bmw

Hello everyone,

I have an old 2.1 Edifier speaker system and the volume knob stop working. I think the board were everything connects to is defective.

So my idea is to eliminate it... using an aux jack to female rca adapter to plug the speakers only. Eliminating the whole subwoofer/box/board.

-Will it work at all to power just the speakers?

13700 . B760 . 32GB 6000C32 . 1TB+2TB M2 Gen4 . RTX 3080 . 55Q80A 4K@120Hz

1 minute ago, jm_bmw said:

So my idea is to eliminate it... using an aux jack to female rca adapter to plug the speakers only. Eliminating the whole subwoofer/box/board.

This will likely be more complicated than you expect and imo not worth it. I would either fix/replace the board or get new speakers.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

16 minutes ago, jm_bmw said:

Hello everyone,

I have an old 2.1 Edifier speaker system and the volume knob stop working. I think the board were everything connects to is defective:

Ghv9LAG.jpg

PCtgUpW.png

-Will it work at all to power just the speakers?

13 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

This will likely be more complicated than you expect and imo not worth it. I would either fix/replace the board or get new speakers.

You would need a amp, as the tweeters are 4w rms each, and i doubt the aux port can output 8w. I think it would be better to fix/replace it

Thanks guys, I guess I will get a new one... this system is from 2009 and worked great so far, I really like their quality. Just out of curiosity, if I did this, sound would be poor/low volume or it wouldn`t even work at all?

13700 . B760 . 32GB 6000C32 . 1TB+2TB M2 Gen4 . RTX 3080 . 55Q80A 4K@120Hz

9 hours ago, jm_bmw said:

Thanks guys, I guess I will get a new one... this system is from 2009 and worked great so far, I really like their quality. Just out of curiosity, if I did this, sound would be poor/low volume or it wouldn`t even work at all?

I think it would be very quiet.

It will be both distorted and low-volume. The speakers in that thing are a somewhere between 4 ohms and 16 ohms (most likely). The headphone amplifier in your PC is not designed to drive such low impedances, nor is it designed to output any significant power. 

Also, I feel the need to give Edifier some crap over their use of RCA connectors for speakers. They're not the only company who does this, but it isn't great practice to use a standard line-level (or phono level, for that matter) connector as a speaker connector. 

Does the pot work intermittently across it's range, does it work at full volume ?

Bit of a bodge but you could get a line level control and leave the pot on the back ideally on full volume if it works at that position or the closest to it.

image.png.d3caf6e3a23048b449f6bcce399792a4.png