Why are there not any PGA latching "mechanisms" like intel has?

Go to solution Solved by freeagent,
1 hour ago, Orian Pax said:

Hold on I haven't done typing.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Not so much really, the cpu will never be ripped from the socket at least XD.

Shrimp I will type later I just lost all things I typed as I refreshed page to see new replies.

darn it I should have copied I wrote.

I am on mobile.

Just now, Orian Pax said:

Shrimp I will type later I just lost all things I typed as I refreshed page to see new replies.

darn it I should have copied I wrote.

I am on mobile.

It really doesn't need to be over elaborated. 

If you have de-lid questions, just ask.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Lastly, no, it's probably not going to change when AM5 comes around, but you never know.

I thought I read somewhere it will be LGA 🤔

Either way, pins, pads whatever..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

No it was about inspirations I got to make a mod myself for CPU and why I chose that one as the solution for now.

Just now, freeagent said:

I really hope that happens.

3 minutes ago, freeagent said:

No idea. Either is fine, I can care less. It's just more parts to remove to run my naked dies like my X58 rig. When I de-lidded the 930, I couldn't get the water block to touch the cpu die. The bracket is useless to me...... *shrugs*

The pins are ok, just settle down with your thermal compound 😄

I kid..

Some stuff is pretty sticky. Shrimp told me the stock paste is like glue so I wiped it off before I realized I didn't have enough paste in my tube for an application. Pretty sweet.

Edit:

I have no use for that bracket either.. I just knew about it because I was scared of the pins moving into this.. I almost bought it but saw no one else was using it so.. I just let nature take its course, and here we are 🥰

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

I kid..

Some stuff is pretty sticky. Shrimp told me the stock paste is like glue so I wiped it off before I realized I didn't have enough paste in my tube for an application. Pretty sweet.

Stock paste is always garbage from the manufacturers. Get like 1.8 wm/k thermal transfer. Horrible stuff generally. 

Most of the aftermarket coolers use an OK paste up to 5 wm/k generally. 

The paste under the Intel chips (that aren't soldered) is total garbage. If it even reaches a 1 wm/k I'd be shocked haha!

My 930 was a soldered chip. I did see a temp drop running naked die cooling.

I believe it buddy. My 3770K is by far the hottest running chip I have ever owned, well next to this one when you spin her up.. But my 3770K is just gross. That chip begs for a delid. Maybe I should get that tool now that its not my main pc. 

3 hours ago, Orian Pax said:

Wheeze, No not on both, use a brush and pins will trickle down from CPU but on mobo heck u can clean using brush! (Don't forget 99% alcohol tho).

But I have only experience with 6th and above gen mobo (so can't say that for older gen.)

clearly you've never been in contact with a pga cpu, but if you'd like I can take a video of me using a brush to clean the cpu pins lmao. 

(U can get a free mobo aside from shipping cost if they ever asked you to ship it tho. If a shopowner is gonna ship for ya it then u r in luck!)

I should call him acquaintece than friend tho.

this isn't the case anymore, fry's was one of the only stores that did that, and they are now out of business. if you look at that article the OP was actually denied warranty from the manufacture due to the bent pins, there is no advantage to lga in that regard.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

I am not saying ur technique is wrong or something like that but over past 12 months these sentences u wrote were one of the reasons why people got their CPU ripped out and a reason for many to get their CPUs damaged.

the best way to do it is to run a benchmark, get your cpu warm, and twist the cpu off, you can't physically rip the cpu out if you twist, you'd have to rip the socket from the board, lol.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 hour ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

clearly you've never been in contact with a pga cpu, but if you'd like I can take a video of me using a brush to clean the cpu pins lmao. 

i actually i have been, helped a technician getting those pins off and moment of wiping those pins.... couldn't be more satisfying😏👌

this isn't the case anymore, fry's was one of the only stores that did that, and they are now out of business. if you look at that article the OP was actually denied warranty from the manufacture due to the bent pins, there is no advantage to lga in that regard.

you are limiting yourself to only FRY's buddy😒🤦‍♂️ i live in india we don't even have FRYs here but still managed to do that.
(not me but some people i know did and i was with em that's i can say that without a doubt, i personally wanted to see i they could pull it off well they and they did it twice).

if you look at that article the OP was actually denied warranty from the manufacture due to the bent pins,

that's what those texts were all about, how to get RMA even with bent pins i even added you can fry your mobo too if u want. you are read half chunks.

the best way to do it is to run a benchmark, get your cpu warm, and twist the cpu off, you can't physically rip the cpu out if you twist, you'd have to rip the socket from the board, lol.

i wish it was true but for some unlucky guys it isn't.
https://imgur.com/a/jxzLwaR

this might be just another sh!tpost but comments are worth it!
"

this is the post btw 👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇
" i doubt that but i understood what u were trying to imply.

this pic is a must see!

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H6d7bc1bf84a84716b3f269f5cfc27c4b1.jpg "

and you just keep quoting single sentences, cherry pick sentences and keep applying totally different meaning, i hope you are not a troll buddy this time. bcuz most of the answers are just below those sentence or in other posts

bcuz shrimpBrime, fakekgb and freeagent clearly got them and they read other posts too.

but still you guys rock btw

4 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Stock paste is always garbage from the manufacturers. Get like 1.8 wm/k thermal transfer. Horrible stuff generally. 

Most of the aftermarket coolers use an OK paste up to 5 wm/k generally. 

The paste under the Intel chips (that aren't soldered) is total garbage. If it even reaches a 1 wm/k I'd be shocked haha!

My 930 was a soldered chip. I did see a temp drop running naked die cooling.

this info is gold!

the best way to do it is to run a benchmark, get your cpu warm, and twist the cpu off,

i think i have already mentioned this in my other post....anyway.....

9 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I've already answered this twice now.

Money. plastic socket cheaper. Re-design costs ect.

Has worked fine for decades, 1% of all people rip cpu out. 

i should have been careful with my words. (at that time i sleep of only 2-3 hours)
instead of
"And seems like no one knows exactly the answer for the second question."
it should have been
"And seems like no one have a worthy answer for the second question."
(that is, in pga socket's defense).

Money

they got tons of it and just want more profit, this is a bad actually for me right now.
(i knew it i should have wrote it in topic's post.)
yes the answer is ofcourse not wrong. it's just that i found out in past week
four major companies do things just for money or to loot people,
those company's include cooler master, couple of so called joint ventures of indian companies with amazon, i don't remember the fourth one. anyway.

plastic socket cheaper.

oh yes about that have u tried/saw any?

(would lovr to hear more about them)

Has worked fine for decades, 1% of all people rip cpu out. 

fine? seriously it has that much become common thing.
i don't know how small that 1% is but

This one has good comment section
Tolga9009  , Element_0115 points out exactly what I want to say!
And lot of people sharing there experience with it. 👇

damn it a blackout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit now I am on mobile -

Okay so these are few of the bookmarked posts whose comments are gold (worth the info).

(Apologies, I couldn't share more bcuz of the blackout)

Now then including such posts.

There are atleast 12-13 people every month,

On average 16.57 (~16) per month,

the max was 26 in one month,

calling or visiting the technician, a guy I know, regarding this issue.

So it's not too much uncommon here, I tried finding info and solutions but couldn't and where can I find worthy people to answer it,

I was like okay ltt forums comes first!

And that's why I started this post. 

And might be a good chance to make money 💰 (I am talking about mod here.)

5 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Re-design costs

But would be worth it and again I get it money companies want $$$.

1% of all people rip cpu out. 

How do u know that number?

(That's still 1% considering only number of custom pc builders?).

#1 posted issue in this forum is, My rig won't run XMP.

#2 my system only gives black screen.

#3 just about everything else 

#4 finally might see a post like this a couple few times a year in the most popular tech forums (here)

I didn't get it.😅

Lastly, no, it's probably not going to change when AM5 comes around, but you never know

Yeah.

Lastly, no, it's probably not going to change when AM5 comes around, but you never know. 

1 minute ago, Orian Pax said:

Yeah.

I certainly hope they don't change it with AM5. Any socket change would likely result in a change with how the cooler is mounted, and cooler manufacturers had enough of a hard time getting AM4 brackets to old customers.

3 hours ago, GalacticRuler said:

I certainly hope they don't change it with AM5. Any socket change would likely result in a change with how the cooler is mounted, and cooler manufacturers had enough of a hard time getting AM4 brackets to old customers.

But would be worth it and again I get it money companies want $$$.

How do u know that number?

(That's still 1% considering only number of custom pc builders?).

I didn't get it.😅

Yeah.

8 hours ago, freeagent said:

I kid..

Edit:

I have no use for that bracket either.. I just knew about it because I was scared of the pins moving into this.. I almost bought it but saw no one else was using it so.. I just let nature take its course, and here we are 🥰

5 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

8 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I am just quoting so that notification would reach to u guys.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/cooler-makers-are-finally-fixing-amd-ryzens-biggest-annoyance/

15 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

I accidentally bent pins on my Ryzen 5 1600X because the cooler latching mechanism was weird.

It only pulled up on one side.

I then got an R5 3600, put that in, pulled the cooler off straight out and the CPU stayed in.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/cooler-makers-are-finally-fixing-amd-ryzens-biggest-annoyance/

Hmmm haven't heard any updates from this tho.

5 hours ago, GalacticRuler said:

Well from anything I've read in the last year, it will still be PGA when AM5 is released.

The AMD socket design was released with socket 754 around 2003. 

If they go to an LGA design after 2 decades using something that's worked fine all these years, I'll be kind of surprised.

Even if there is 10 links in this thread with issues, that's a really small number to change the socket and cpu design. 

Because you can't change one without the other. And this change would drive your cpu and board prices way up.

On 4/11/2021 at 7:41 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

Even if there is 10 links in this thread with issues, that's a really small number to change the socket and cpu design. 

and hundreds of comments, those 10s are only some of the worthy bookmarks i shared. (and that's not even a good chunk of those bookmarks)
and if u go and watch paul's video, jayz video about lga vs pga or fixing the cpu there are hundreds there too. and i am talking about only pga cpu getting pulled out with cooler (i don't care much which one better).
it's just the cpu should not be pulled out with cooler that's it!

that's a really small number to change the socket and cpu design.

just mechanism of gripping/holding CPU (also I didn't know it would have to go that far, I was considering keeping socket and old mechanism intact and only change I was expecting was chance in CPU lid another revelation).

and yeah you are right even if the number is 500-1500 people it's still small,

(i mean AMD is selling cpus in 5 figures per month)

Because you can't change one without the other. And this change would drive your cpu and board prices way up.

actually there's El Cheapo way too. and there's no need to change the socket (i realized i should  keep it for another day and i am not a welder or good at mechanical things i am designer guy and it's lock down here, total lock down! and i am preparing for exams so i need those hands in working state, damn it schools)

The AMD socket design was released with socket 754 around 2003. 
If they go to an LGA design after 2 decades using something that's worked fine all these years,

well even the https://www.pcgamer.com/cooler-makers-are-finally-fixing-amd-ryzens-biggest-annoyance/  says annoyance i am done with saying it a fine design anymore (old ones good newer, ones needs more support, cpus.  it was okay/good in past but needs to add better support now imho.)

but does that mean they should go LGA? probably nah for now from me, well i won't be surprised if that happens!

Yes there's still blackout here and raining heavily.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/IndianGaming/comments/hk271l/cooler_makers_are_finally_fixing_amd_ryzens/

I'm indifferent - as @ShrimpBrimesaid they both have pros and cons.

Ultimately it's not something 99% of people are going to be fooling around with repeatedly - you do it once and forget about it for months. Maybe in most users they'll change the past or cooler or CPU once or twice during the useful lifespan of the system.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

5 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I'm indifferent - as @ShrimpBrimesaid they both have pros and cons.

If u r talking about LGA Vs PGA (no, that's not what it's going on here.)

And yes I 1billion% agree Both have their pros and cons. 

But this ain't about LGA Vs PGA.

It's only CPU getting pulled out while removing cooler on PGA socket.

5 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Ultimately it's not something 99% of people are going to be fooling around with repeatedly - you do it once and forget about it for months. Maybe in most users they'll change the past or cooler or CPU once or twice during the useful lifespan of the system.

Now we are talking! Thank u.

10 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

If u r talking about LGA Vs PGA (no, that's not what it's going on here.)

And yes I 1billion% agree Both have their pros and cons. 

But this ain't about LGA Vs PGA.

It's only CPU getting pulled out while removing cooler on PGA socket.

Now we are talking! Thank u.

I get it, you're talking about the latch. I like it, it was great for floating IHS on my delidded 8700k.

But I've also taken off the cooler on my 1600 about 3 or 4 times without any issues.

It's not that common for it to get stuck and most folks won't ever even remove it 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x