How do I change the "volume scale" in Windows 10 for a USB headset?

Go to solution Solved by HenrySalayne,

You should take a look into the device settings. Maybe there are some options to reduce the volume. If this doesn't help you can use something like Voicemeeter to reduce the audio level. But be warned: reducing the level digitally will decrease the bit depth (6 dB or a reduction of 50% will get rid of one bit of resolution). A cheap headset is most likely using a 16 bit DAC and a level of 1 or 2 (out of 100) in windows is already reducing the bit depth below 10 bits. That's probably why it sounds harsh.

Last resort could be a modification where you put a voltage divider in line with the drivers. You will only need a few cents worth of resistors and a soldering iron.

Hello, 

I recently bought a Redgear Cosmo 7.1 headset. It connects through USB and shows up as a USB PnP Audio device. I have two problems with this thing : 
1. It shows up in the sounds manager as a speaker, I've been ignoring that till now but if you can help fix it then it *might* solve the other problem too (I'm guessing)

2. The "scale" of the volume is very huge. I'm referring to the windows volume slider that goes from 0-100 (2 divisions each time for some reason). On it, when it's at "2" then it's already above my comfortable hearing volume. For reference the earlier 3.5mm headphones (which used to get recognized as headphones) were usually at "20" volume level for a comfortable hearing level. The high volume of the "2" has been bugging me now, and has started to feel kinda harsh. "1" is too low. There is no hardware slider on the headset, the buttons on that change the windows volume. There are no specific drivers on the product website. What I wish to do is somehow "zoom-in" to the windows volume "0-10" and make it the new "0-100" , so that I'd have more precise control over the volume level and won't have to deal with the brain killing volume levels over "10" that I have never even attempted to listen to out of pure fear.

Is there any way I can possibly do that? Please help 😞

PS - I have an Acer Nitro 5 with 15-8300H, 16gb RAM, GTX 1050Ti. The headset comes with a mic, if any of these specs matter.

thats weird, is it like 1 is quiet and 2 is really loud and everything after is super loud ?

PC SPECS

-ryzen 5 5600x

-nvidia rtx 3060 ti

-msi b550-a pro

-corsair vengeance 32gb 3200mhz

-seasonic 650w

-western digital sn550

-lian li lancool mesh II

: ) have a good day

You can use Equalizer APO with the PC equalizer GUI to change it.

Equalizer APO:

https://equalizerapo.com/

PC Equalizer GUI:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pc-equalizer/

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

You should take a look into the device settings. Maybe there are some options to reduce the volume. If this doesn't help you can use something like Voicemeeter to reduce the audio level. But be warned: reducing the level digitally will decrease the bit depth (6 dB or a reduction of 50% will get rid of one bit of resolution). A cheap headset is most likely using a 16 bit DAC and a level of 1 or 2 (out of 100) in windows is already reducing the bit depth below 10 bits. That's probably why it sounds harsh.

Last resort could be a modification where you put a voltage divider in line with the drivers. You will only need a few cents worth of resistors and a soldering iron.

Try Volumouse, It has settings to adjust the increments plus you can use the mouse scrollwheel to adjust volume. I've been using it for years.

13 hours ago, ohDrum said:

thats weird, is it like 1 is quiet and 2 is really loud and everything after is super loud ?

Yes 😞

14 hours ago, Vishera said:

You can use Equalizer APO with the PC equalizer GUI to change it.

Equalizer APO:

https://equalizerapo.com/

PC Equalizer GUI:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pc-equalizer/

Okay I'll try that, thanks !
Update: Voice meter was simpler for me, i never ended up using this, but thanks for the suggestion!!

13 hours ago, LWM723 said:

Try Volumouse, It has settings to adjust the increments plus you can use the mouse scrollwheel to adjust volume. I've been using it for years.

Okay thanks!!
Update: It's great, but I can't see the increments (It keeps showing 0% for all).

13 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

That hacky end solution is lovely and i'd like to try it, being an electronics engineering student, but also if I mess my headset up I can't get a new one so I'll pass. Also, about the bit-depth, ig that is the problem with the harshness, I just wish it would detect these as headphones and be done with it.

Update: Voicemeter is freaking great and solved it very nicely, thank you so much ^^ recommending this as the main solution.

14 hours ago, rickeo said:

I'm willing to bet that's just a downside of that incredibly cheap headset, unfortunately. 

Yeah, students well, don't have parents' permission to spend a lot of money on "gaming" headsets when I'm supposed to study 😞

3 hours ago, Psynapse_231 said:

Yeah, students well, don't have parents' permission to spend a lot of money on "gaming" headsets when I'm supposed to study

Isn't a proper headset a necessity for studying in Covid times?