Help me configuring my home network

HI all, so i got 1 modem and 2 router in my house with a couple of LAN addons (STBs, and CCTV server), okay here is the  basic layout of my internet network right now: ZTE F609, modem from my internet provider, only 1 unlocked LAN port (rules from my ISP), I connect it to my ground floor router (Pro-Link prc3801), and via LAN connecting it to my 2 STBs (barely on, we rarely watch cable tv nowadays), CCTV server, my upstairs router (Asus RT-AC1200g+), and my problem for past couple of weeks is the internet from the both of the router dead from time to time (random time), and if i restart both of them it'll fix them.

couple of solution that i alr tried:

--IP conflict problem? my friend said my problem is ip address conflict, but if i look at my router setting  (im not so certain because not my expertise) seems like i have different my ip pool address from both of the router, i saw it in my dhcp server client range, 192.168.123.2 til 192.168.123.253 for the Pro link one, and   192.168.1.2 til 192.168.1.254 for the asus one, so i think its not ip problem?

-ISP problem? i dont think so, just need a restart for both of them and suddenly its fine

what should i do or if you need somethin more in detail i can show you that, sorry for the bad english, not a native english speaker

15 minutes ago, Bengbeng said:

what should i do or if you need somethin more in detail i can show you that, sorry for the bad english, not a native english speaker

You can't run both routers in their default "router" mode. The secondary unit must be put in AP mode to avoid IP conflicts from 2 DHCP servers running on the same LAN.

5 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

You can't run both routers in their default "router" mode. The secondary unit must be put in AP mode to avoid IP conflicts from 2 DHCP servers running on the same LAN.

thanks for the input, i did that earlier, but it seems making my internet speed from the secondary one gone down, and reset my modem after that cause i cant access the setup page, should i try that again? or any other known solution?

10 minutes ago, Bengbeng said:

thanks for the input, i did that earlier, but it seems making my internet speed from the secondary one gone down, and reset my modem after that cause i cant access the setup page, should i try that again?

The reason for that is most likely that your modem and router weren't in the same network anymore.

Look, it's best if you set the IP address of your modem to a static address. For example: 192.168.1.1 /24 (255.255.255.0)
Then you set the IP of the router that is physically connected to that modem to a static IP. For example: 192.168.1.2 /24 (255.255.255.0)

Configure your DHCP server on that router to 192.168.1.10 - 254

Put your second router into AP / bridged mode and also set a static IP. For example: 192.168.1.3 (Turn off DHCP if not automatically done)

Now you're left with 6 additional IPs (192.168.1.4 - 9) for any devices that you want to set up with static IPs. Any other devices will automatically end up within the DHCP range.

It is important that you get the subnet-masks and addresses right. Otherwise devices might not be able to communicate with each other anymore.

So, this is how I'd set it up:

Modem: 192.168.1.1 /24

Router 1: 192.168.1.2 /24 (Router mode) (DHCP 192.168.1.10 - 254)

Router 2: 192.168.1.3 /24 (AP Mode) (DHCP off)

STB 1: 192.168.1.4 /24

STB 2: 192.168.1.5 /24

CCTV Server: 192.168.1.6 /24

Not sure if you can even configure these STB thingies. I don't even know what they are lol

If not, let them get their IP from the DHCP.

2 hours ago, Senzelian said:

The reason for that is most likely that your modem and router weren't in the same network anymore.

Look, it's best if you set the IP address of your modem to a static address. For example: 192.168.1.1 /24 (255.255.255.0)
Then you set the IP of the router that is physically connected to that modem to a static IP. For example: 192.168.1.2 /24 (255.255.255.0)

Configure your DHCP server on that router to 192.168.1.10 - 254

Put your second router into AP / bridged mode and also set a static IP. For example: 192.168.1.3 (Turn off DHCP if not automatically done)

Now you're left with 6 additional IPs (192.168.1.4 - 9) for any devices that you want to set up with static IPs. Any other devices will automatically end up within the DHCP range.

It is important that you get the subnet-masks and addresses right. Otherwise devices might not be able to communicate with each other anymore.

So, this is how I'd set it up:

Modem: 192.168.1.1 /24

Router 1: 192.168.1.2 /24 (Router mode) (DHCP 192.168.1.10 - 254)

Router 2: 192.168.1.3 /24 (AP Mode) (DHCP off)

STB 1: 192.168.1.4 /24

STB 2: 192.168.1.5 /24

CCTV Server: 192.168.1.6 /24

Not sure if you can even configure these STB thingies. I don't even know what they are lol

If not, let them get their IP from the DHCP.

It seems i cant change my modem its using ipv6 address, and locked by isp, so what should i do? Continue to the next step?

9 hours ago, Bengbeng said:

It seems i cant change my modem its using ipv6 address, and locked by isp, so what should i do? Continue to the next step?

It might use a public IPv6 adress, but that doesn't matter. It needs to have a private IPv4 address. It might just take whatever the DHCP gives it. So try to find out the standard IPv4 address of the modem and simply adjust your networks IP addresses to that or hope that the DHCP server gives it an IP.