Abnormally high idle temps with NZXT kraken AIO + H510 case

Falk483

Hey there.

So this has been an ongoing problem with my system for a while, and I've yet to find a fix for it. My ryzen 5 3600, idles at anywhere from 45-55 possibly higher on rare occasions, with stuff like discord/spotify/firefox running, nothing more.

My main cooling for the CPU is a Kraken x62 AIO by NZXT, which is a 280MM AIO that i have seeted in the front of my NZXT H510 case. Everything is running as it should fan and pump wise, but cooling still seems to be insufficient when the CPU is barely under load. I have noticed that the H510 case is on the worse side when it comes to airflow from the front, which is basically limited to the open holes on the right side of the case.

The pump is even running at a fixed 100% rate, however most of the case fans aren't and tend to alternate between throttling up and down, as the idle temp is quite spiky or zig-zaggy in nature.

Outside of looking at the cooling my AIO and fans provide, I've tried to undervolt and limit overclocking the CPU multiple times, both via. ryzen master and the BIOS itself, nothing of which seems to have a large influence on it. My latest attempt was switching out the stock thermal paste that the AIO originally came with, with some i had lying around from coolormaster, as well as re-seating the AIO so i know it made full contact, none of which seemed to matter either.

At this point I'm starting to run out of ideas when it comes to solving the temperature problems, and i find it rather concerning, as i honestly havn't seen the CPU temp be lower than 40C at any point in time since building it.

Is anyone aware of this simply being a common issue with the H510 case being restrictive on air flow, or some possible fault on the AIO?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 minute ago, Falk483 said:

Hey there.

So this has been an ongoing problem with my system for a while, and I've yet to find a fix for it. My ryzen 5 3600, idles at anywhere from 45-55 possibly higher on rare occasions, with stuff like discord/spotify/firefox running, nothing more.

My main cooling for the CPU is a Kraken x62 AIO by NZXT, which is a 280MM AIO that i have seeted in the front of my NZXT H510 case. Everything is running as it should fan and pump wise, but cooling still seems to be insufficient when the CPU is barely under load. I have noticed that the H510 case is on the worse side when it comes to airflow from the front, which is basically limited to the open holes on the right side of the case.

The pump is even running at a fixed 100% rate, however most of the case fans aren't and tend to alternate between throttling up and down, as the idle temp is quite spiky or zig-zaggy in nature.

Outside of looking at the cooling my AIO and fans provide, I've tried to undervolt and limit overclocking the CPU multiple times, both via. ryzen master and the BIOS itself, nothing of which seems to have a large influence on it. My latest attempt was switching out the stock thermal paste that the AIO originally came with, with some i had lying around from coolormaster, as well as re-seating the AIO so i know it made full contact, none of which seemed to matter either.

At this point I'm starting to run out of ideas when it comes to solving the temperature problems, and i find it rather concerning, as i honestly havn't seen the CPU temp be lower than 40C at any point in time since building it.

Is anyone aware of this simply being a common issue with the H510 case being restrictive on air flow, or some possible fault on the AIO?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You mind running a stress test and see how temperature goes? Sometimes IDLE temps can be spiky depending on background processes.

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.

40c seems pretty reasonable to meeeee.....

Stress test temp/in game?????

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

13 minutes ago, Pikatchu said:

You mind running a stress test and see how temperature goes? Sometimes IDLE temps can be spiky depending on background processes.

Running a Cinebench r23 multi core stress test it sits at a steady 79-80C for the entire duration of the test, which i know is perfectly acceptable, it still leaves me wondering why the CPU hits 50C or higher, even when i close down every single program i have open, except for something like HWinfo

24 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

40c seems pretty reasonable to meeeee.....

Stress test temp/in game?????

Answer above, stress test hits 80C, but like i said, idle temps are more in the 50 range. I never see 40C or below.

80c is a reasonable temp.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

Just now, SignatureSigner said:

80c is a reasonable temp.

Yeah i know, that's still not what bothers me, it's only the fact that CPU hits 50c+ when literally just sitting at the wallpaper with nothing open.

Just now, Falk483 said:

Yeah i know, that's still not what bothers me, it's only the fact that CPU hits 50c+ when literally just sitting at the wallpaper with nothing open.

Windows is always up to some crap. Does task manager say your cpu is doing anything? Double check the moun is good to your cpu if it bothers you enough. I am not worried in this situation as 80c under full load is fine. Your case isn't well known for the most amazing airflow on the planet. Thats where your issue is originating if I was to guess. bad airflow 🙂

System Specs

Peripherals

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

1 minute ago, SignatureSigner said:

Windows is always up to some crap. Does task manager say your cpu is doing anything? Double check the moun is good to your cpu if it bothers you enough. I am not worried in this situation as 80c under full load is fine. Your case isn't well known for the most amazing airflow on the planet. Thats where your issue is originating if I was to guess. bad airflow 🙂

Looking at task manager CPU load never exceeds 10% at any point when just at wallpaper, i suppose i can chalk it up to bad airflow then, i just really dislike the fan noise I'm experiencing when just browsing the internet.

1 minute ago, Falk483 said:

Looking at task manager CPU load never exceeds 10% at any point when just at wallpaper, i suppose i can chalk it up to bad airflow then, i just really dislike the fan noise I'm experiencing when just browsing the internet.

Unless you are hitting 90-100c with an aio you should not be worried. If you have no other issues its not a problem par say just sub preforming case airflow. If it bothers you so much just buy a new case with a perferated front.

System Specs

Peripherals

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

temp seem about right for the given case. but you can test by removing the side off the case and running your temps.

also making sure chipset driver is update to date. 

I would recommend that you use hwinfo64 to monitor temps

15 hours ago, narrdarr said:

temp seem about right for the given case. but you can test by removing the side off the case and running your temps.

also making sure chipset driver is update to date. 

I would recommend that you use hwinfo64 to monitor temps

Yeah i use hwinfo64, i could check chipset driver, but great tip on the sidepanel, can definitely see if that added airflow is what does it.