Amd ryzen microstutter

casper89

Hi guys.  Hopefully someone will be able to help me with the microstutter issues I encounter every time I try to play a game 

Specs : 

- ryzen 7 2700x

- rog strix x570-e 

- corsair Vengeance rgb 16 gb 3600 mhz 

- rtx 3070 fe 

- sabrent rocket nvme ssd 

What I tried so far

- sata / ide drivers

- power plan settings 

- memory optimiser for ryzen 

- precision boost overdrive 

- deactivating windowsgamer 

these were the potential fixes I found info , videos on and none of them worked 😞

Any ideas ? 

Need more info. What games? What resolution and quality settings? What kind of monitor do you have? (resolution, refresh, FreeSync/G-sync)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

Need more info. What games? What resolution and quality settings? What kind of monitor do you have? (resolution, refresh, FreeSync/G-sync)

I mostly play assassin's creed valhalla and apex legends . Apex legens on a 1080p 144hz monitor and assassin's creed on a TV with 60hz refresh rate at 1440p. Monitor is g-sync compatible.  For example when I play valhalla on the monitor although the msi afterburner doesn't record it the in game benchmark does - frame drops from like 70 avg down to 11 or 12 for a split second.  Same with apex legends . Stays at 142  as I capped the frames there but it feels stuttery and jitters sometimes 

Well to me it looks like the CPU can't actually keep up. Thus the so low 1% (or 0.1%) FPS. That's a x570 board so dropping in a 5800X should so be a piece of cake.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

9 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

Well to me it looks like the CPU can't actually keep up. Thus the so low 1% (or 0.1%) FPS. That's a x570 board so dropping in a 5800X should so be a piece of cake.

Cpu temps are normal and load doesn't go above 60% depending on resolution I play on . The pc was planned with the update in mind since the begging.  I actually hoped I'll be able to get one of the new series cpus on lunch without luck though so I went and bought this one till I can upgrade later . With the clock improvement and ipc improvement I just hope I won't run into similar issues after 

There is an option in Ryzen Master to switch on CPU histogram. Turn it on if you haven't done so (default settings is off) and launch the game. The moment you see the frame drop, switch to Ryzen Master and check the histogram for sudden drops in clock. Do the same with the GPU in Afterburner.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

7 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

There is an option in Ryzen Master to switch on CPU histogram. Turn it on if you haven't done so (default settings is off) and launch the game. The moment you see the frame drop, switch to Ryzen Master and check the histogram for sudden drops in clock. Do the same with the GPU in Afterburner.

I did not know about it . First ryzen cpu here . I'll have a look . Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 8:26 PM, casper89 said:

Cpu temps are normal and load doesn't go above 60% depending on resolution I play on . The pc was planned with the update in mind since the begging.  I actually hoped I'll be able to get one of the new series cpus on lunch without luck though so I went and bought this one till I can upgrade later . With the clock improvement and ipc improvement I just hope I won't run into similar issues after 

A little update . Got a 5800x in today and installed it . Everything worked great with docp settings and fclock set to half the ram speed until I opened ryzen master and changed some settings there and it went all downhill from there.  Restored bios to default settings , restored ryzen master to default settings too and the processor now is behaving like the last one . I went over and did a reset on the windows and now I'm waiting for a game to download to see if that changed anything.  

On 4/9/2021 at 9:26 PM, casper89 said:

you need to check load on all  cores, not just overall usage

On 4/10/2021 at 12:52 PM, QuantumSingularity said:

RM can itself be 'problematic'  to say  the least .

13 hours ago, casper89 said:

opened ryzen master

hear, hear...  well, i think it's best to not use or even install it, it's not mandatory after all, my 3600 works just fine without it.

also pro tip:  you don't need  PBO all it does is make the chip run hotter, there's like  0 difference in benchmarks too. (within margin of error)

now, idk how to revert whatever RM did, I'd think a windows reinstall should certainly fix it , good luck.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

39 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

you need to check load on all  cores, not just overall usage

RM can itself be 'problematic'  to say  the least .

hear, hear...  well, i think it's best to not use or even install it, it's not mandatory after all, my 3600 works just fine without it.

also pro tip:  you don't need  PBO all it does is make the chip run hotter, there's like  0 difference in benchmarks too. (within margin of error)

now, idk how to revert whatever RM did, I'd think a windows reinstall should certainly fix it , good luck.

I did a fresh install last night . Decided to scrap the reset and went full on to wipe the ssd clean and do a fresh install . Bios settings restored to default and let it overnight to download the game . Had to do a small update in the morning before I left to work and got a couple of minutes to test it . Seems to be working decent but I still get the frame dips . Next on my list when I get home is to start changing settings in bios one by one and see what triggers it . First picture is the one with 5800x out of the box and docp active (3600 mhz ) and fclock set to 1800 mhz . Second picture is no docp and everything on auto . Last picture is with the 3700x ram set to 3200 mhz and fclock to 1600 mhz as it didn't want to work with docp and higher frequency 

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_photo1619375196638_6792151864760367475.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_photo1619349694660_6792044901714081076.jpeg

received_778597912770722.jpeg

Edited by casper89

5 minutes ago, casper89 said:

First picture is the one with 5800x out of the box and docp active (3600 mhz ) and fclock set to 1800 mhz . Second picture is no docp and everything on auto . 

hmm, but what is wrong with the first picture, looks stable?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

hmm, but what is wrong with the first picture, looks stable?

The frame dips are still there but just not as bad . Noticed when the frame dips happen the frametime increases drastically.  Like I said . When I get home ill try docp and fclock to 1800 again as they were set in the second picture 

I built a 5800x last month and after reading your post I installed  Assassin's Creed Valhalla. I get no micro stutter and no drops. It runs exactly the same as it does on my i9.

I have Ryzen Master set to default and only XMP enabled in the bios.

I am only using 3200 ram since I had it lying around.

I think you need to look at what is common in your build and not the CPU.

All my issues with micro stutter where caused by motherboards not liking certain video cards.

I have always had several computers so it is easy for me to switch out parts to make things work. 

All the issues I have had with drops have been caused by HD cache so when I stopped using HDs on my computers I have had no drops.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

The most interesting thing to me in the first picture is the very VERY consistent frame drops at almost equal intervals. And the weird thing is it's with v-sync ON, while the second is with OFF. Have you tried it w/o the 60FPS limit? Maybe something from nVidia control panel is overwriting the game settings and there is some conflict going on? Maybe with g-sync?

22 minutes ago, QuantumSingularity said:

The most interesting thing to me in the first picture is the very VERY consistent frame drops at almost equal intervals. And the weird thing is it's with v-sync ON, while the second is with OFF. Have you tried it w/o the 60FPS limit? Maybe something from nVidia control panel is overwriting the game settings and there is some conflict going on? Maybe with g-sync?

I did try with and without the frame cap qnd it's similar results . / v-sync on , off , adaptive .... nothing changed the fact that I was getting the frame dips as bad as they were.  I got home today and went back to it . Xmp and fclock to half was decent but still stuttering with the 5800x , uninstalled ryzen master again . Tried to get the amd chipset drivers installed and failed . Put the old cpu back . Ram at 3200 mhz( wouldn't clewr the mobo checks if higher) ram and 1600 fclock with no problems and seems to be smooth . Tried amd chipset drivers again and succeeded installing and now I back in the game playing for I think 30 minutes and it seems to run great . I just don't get it ... I've been scratching my head and tried every possible solution I found online and fresh install , no ryzen master and power plan to high performance seems to do the trick 🤷‍♂️ 

2 hours ago, jones177 said:

I built a 5800x last month and after reading your post I installed  Assassin's Creed Valhalla. I get no micro stutter and no drops. It runs exactly the same as it does on my i9.

I have Ryzen Master set to default and only XMP enabled in the bios.

I am only using 3200 ram since I had it lying around.

I think you need to look at what is common in your build and not the CPU.

All my issues with micro stutter where caused by motherboards not liking certain video cards.

I have always had several computers so it is easy for me to switch out parts to make things work. 

All the issues I have had with drops have been caused by HD cache so when I stopped using HDs on my computers I have had no 

There are no hard drives in the computer if that's what's you're referring to . I use only nvme drives 

18 hours ago, casper89 said:

I did try with and without the frame cap qnd it's similar results . / v-sync on , off , adaptive .... nothing changed the fact that I was getting the frame dips as bad as they were.  I got home today and went back to it . Xmp and fclock to half was decent but still stuttering with the 5800x , uninstalled ryzen master again . Tried to get the amd chipset drivers installed and failed . Put the old cpu back . Ram at 3200 mhz( wouldn't clewr the mobo checks if higher) ram and 1600 fclock with no problems and seems to be smooth . Tried amd chipset drivers again and succeeded installing and now I back in the game playing for I think 30 minutes and it seems to run great . I just don't get it ... I've been scratching my head and tried every possible solution I found online and fresh install , no ryzen master and power plan to high performance seems to do the trick 🤷‍♂️ 

Well a fresh install of windows + latest bios is always recommended with new CPU. BTW which BIOS version are you currently running, cause there have been already 5 BIOS updates since the beginning of this year. I haven't had a single problem with Ryzen Master no matter the CPU or board, although i only use it on 3000 and 5000 series CPUs. 

4 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

Well a fresh install of windows + latest bios is always recommended with new CPU. BTW which BIOS version are you currently running, cause there have been already 5 BIOS updates since the beginning of this year. I haven't had a single problem with Ryzen Master no matter the CPU or board, although i only use it on 3000 and 5000 series CPUs. 

3606 according to system info is the bios version . I've been trying multiple things still and I think I may have found the problem . Went on amd forums and seen a thread when someone had stuttering with corsair Vengeance ram at 3600 mhz . Can't tell if it's the same kit or different from the details of the system . Then I remembered the 3700x didn't like the ram to run that fast so I had to set it manually to 3200mhz to be able to boot so I went I bios and changed it manually to 3200 with the 5800x and now it seems to be working great ?! Not sure why and how this is working but it seems to fix the issue for me . On a break at work today went and checked the qvl for memory on my board and the kit I have is listed and with 3600mhz . Maybe it just doesn't like corsair ram I guess ? Idk.  From all the things I tried in the past couple of weeks the fact that now it's running good with these settings makes me think there is a problem with the ram not the CPU actually 

I've seen people with LPX RAM have issues with AMD. Seems to be somewhat common. More so when trying to go past XMP and actually OC it.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

I've seen people with LPX RAM have issues with AMD. Seems to be somewhat common. More so when trying to go past XMP and actually OC it.

I've got Vengeance Pro Rgb kit 2x8GB and it gives me headaches 

30 minutes ago, casper89 said:

I've got Vengeance Pro Rgb kit 2x8GB and it gives me headaches 

I've got a 2x16 3200 kit. Haven't tried to get 3600 out of it. Plenty happy with 3200, but 3200 has worked well for me no far without issues. I got my 5800x back in November. 

I think something with LPX just doesn't work well with AMD in general at 3600. I'd be curious to start seeing if it's a specific DRAM manufacturer that is causing this. Samsun or Hynix you know?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

18 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

I've got a 2x16 3200 kit. Haven't tried to get 3600 out of it. Plenty happy with 3200, but 3200 has worked well for me no far without issues. I got my 5800x back in November. 

I think something with LPX just doesn't work well with AMD in general at 3600. I'd be curious to start seeing if it's a specific DRAM manufacturer that is causing this. Samsun or Hynix you know?

I think it's a hynix A die can't remember since I tried to use the dram calculator but it was one of them ones that didn't show in the list 

My bad . Here's a picture with thaiphoon burner reading one of the dimms

16196304335052485790210644531864.jpg

Edited by casper89
Couldn't remember

On 4/26/2021 at 9:59 PM, casper89 said:

I've been scratching my head and tried every possible solution I found online and fresh install , no ryzen master and power plan to high performance seems to do the trick 🤷‍♂️ 

So it's fixed now?

i mean that isn't all that surprising, only thing that's weird to me is the powerplan, for me everything but  windows  balanced gives me issues (crashes, stutters, etc)  but every mobo/ cpu is different so if it works then it works!  🙂

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Today i had to RMA 2 RTX 3070s of clients and the distributor told me this week alone they have 30+ GPUs, all 3070s with similar complaints. Idk if it is a factory problem or an nvidia driver one, but they said they will accept the claims and replace the cards with newer versions. Maybe all the rush to get that stock out lead to lower QC, idk, but across the net, by far the largest number of complains i saw (or at least the ones google decided to show me; maybe AMD paid for the marketing) concerning stuttering are from people with 3070s. But.. .well... we all know about the risk of the early adoption of the new gen tech. Maybe once the AMD gpus start hitting the market like the nVidia ones we will see some similar trend. 

6 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

So it's fixed now?

i mean that isn't all that surprising, only thing that's weird to me is the powerplan, for me everything but  windows  balanced gives me issues (crashes, stutters, etc)  but every mobo/ cpu is different so if it works then it works!  🙂

Fixed in a way .... like .. way better than it was before but still get the dips occasionally just not as bad . Definitely usable at this point