Why digital and not analog?

rafe_28
Go to solution Solved by Laborant,

The transistor alone is extremely cheap, fast, easy to understand and (with nowadays technology) easy to shrink to these arbitrary small nanometer-sizes. With a transistor, you have a basic "measuring device" that basically has an input and an output. 

This "measuring device" looks if the input voltage is above a certain threshold (defined by the chemistry of the junction chemistry and possibly geometry) and sets its output to "1".

Analog circuits need to distinguish not only "is the voltage there or not", but they have to decode the actual voltage level. The fastest analog couplers sip quite a large amount of current. Analog technology is kinda coming to the consumer electronics in the form of 10gig Ethernet and PCIe 6 - these use a "PAM4" modulation, that distinguishes four different voltage levels and therefore sends two bit per transfer. And boy, these Ethernet-Chips are getting HOT. 

For certain applications, an analog "computer" can be built to follow a certain model - for example to solve differential equations, that might end in a numeric catastrophe when solved numerically. To be clear, these computers are not certainly working with continuous signals (waveform-electricity) but form an "analogy" to a model. The idea of an analog computer is not based on "fixed structure and flexible code" but "flexible structure and no code". Meaning, the structure itself is the program. 
But these computers are by far not "multi purpose" but solve ONE TYPE of differential equations depending on their current configuration/structure - and no, Crysis is not a differential equation.😄

well... this is something i thought about the other day. why are PC's controlled by digital signals mainly. i am not talking about cables. like the pc components. MB, cpu, you name it. If you would run it analog you could have a wave length. lets say just 1-1000Hz. and you run those at 3000MHz. So you could build the instruction sets not with 1 or 0 but 1, 2, 3, 4... 999, 1000MHz... PER CLOCK. wouuldnt taht massively increase the performance and the ammount of numbers and calculations a PC can crunch? Like i couldnt imagine why not to do it except having to engineer more complicated instruction sets blah blah blah. but what would be the technical, the hardware, issues there to why it would not work? i have very little knowledge in curcuits

Ping me or quote me in replys ples. Anyone talking about AiOs and trashing people for a front mount watch THIS JAYZTWOCENTS VID because u 99.9% skipped or didnt understand the Gamers Nexus vid...

Spoiler

Also pineapple doesnt go on pizza

I had a computer science class where the teacher said that analog computer existed but not for long. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly why :/

But my guess is because analog signal is not as "stable" as digital signal. That's why logic gate have threshold to avoid changing state if there's a perturbation on the wire.

The 0s and 1s in a computer are fundamentally analog signals already. Without going too much into it, the reason why this is not possible and/or is not done comes down to signal integrity and errors.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

8 minutes ago, rafe_28 said:

If you would run it analog you could have a wave length. lets say just 1-1000Hz. and you run those at 3000MHz. So you could build the instruction sets not with 1 or 0 but 1, 2, 3, 4... 999, 1000MHz... PER CLOCK.

And how do you propose we produce and, more importantly, control that oscillation?

Transistors can be made to represent way more values than just 1 or 0 (we differentiate based on a voltage threshold) but it gets significantly harder to accurately set them to each value the more intermediate steps you add. It's simpler and more efficient to just shrink and add more transistors, which doubles the amount of distinct values you can represent for each transistor you add.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

23 minutes ago, rafe_28 said:

So you could build the instruction sets not with 1 or 0 but 1, 2, 3, 4... 999, 1000MHz... PER CLOCK.

Discrete steps like this are still digital, not analog. Analog computers have no discrete steps at all and no frequency you're running at either. See: Analog computer

The main reason is that representing 1 and 0 is easy. No (or very low) voltage is zero. A high enough voltage is one. The more different values you want to represent, the more difficult it gets to distinguish them, if you also want to keep voltages low.

Also, more complexity doesn't necessarily mean more speed. You might not be able to reach such high clock rates anymore. So a "bit" might now have 20 instead of 2 states, but this might possibly mean due to error correction etc, your clock is reduced by a factor of twenty as well.

Take SATA for example: Serial ATA, which replaced Parallel ATA. Due to the reduced complexity it can reach much higher speeds than parallel ATA, even though you'd think parallel should be faster, right?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

imagine yourself yelling from one mountain to another person on the next mountain

it's easy to determine if he yelled or not, but not so easy to tell how loud did he yell due to fluctuations in air density and what not

so 1 and 0 is more stable than if you try to detect more levels

iirc G6x or G5x has 4 levels of voltage? so it can transmit 00 01 10 or 11 in one pulse

say if you want to transmit 8 levels of voltages, it can transmit 3 bits of data per pulse

only 1 bit of data more, but way more voltage levels, thus decreasing stability and lowering clock speeds

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

The reason why is best explained this way:

It is easy to build an analog computer that poos all over a digital one at a specific task. But for the set of all tasks, you don't need a computer that is tuned to do any one thing perfectly, you need a system that is designed to a specification and consistently hits that specification. In the case of digital vs analog, that spec is that 'data start' and 'data stop' are known with digital (rising and/or falling edges of the signal) but with analog you have a basically infinite number of ways that a signal may be interpreted.

When it comes to mass production, hitting a specification for an infinite possibility set is problematic at best. So you end up defining a specification that is a subset of infinity, but then your analog computer is just a more complex solution to the exact same problem digital can solve with a LOT less work. So digital ends up winning because it's easier to manufacture at scale, and easier to design for in general terms (IE: every design hits the same spec, so a design that works on one system will work on another).

You can build analog systems to a spec as well, but it's harder than building to a spec with digital, so why bother? And thus, digital took over the world. Not because it's 'better', but because it's easier.

If you would like to go deep into this subject quantum computing is what you're looking for as far as why everything is digital. If you look into the history of computer science you'll see that almost all computing devices are "Turing Complete" or otherwise could have any task done on a Turing Machine, which is an abstract device that can compute using an infinitely long tape that is able to write only 1s and 0s. CPUs operate nowadays using transistors that turn on and off with various levels of memory all the way from registers on the CPU to hard drive storage. Eventually this will be replaced but I couldn't give you a timeline as to when.

On 4/6/2021 at 12:42 PM, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

The 0s and 1s in a computer are fundamentally analog signals already. Without going too much into it, the reason why this is not possible and/or is not done comes down to signal integrity and errors.

^ This.

Digital is precise. Very precise.

Analog is wibbly-wobbly, not precise, and devices must be very forgiving of the rampant errors present.

Analog VHS is a good real-world for you to see this yourself. Trying to capture VHS on a computer reveals all the warts of the format, and the computer will almost always reject the raw signal without some (timebase) correction.

For more AV advice, find me at The Digital FAQ forums.

Uh, some interesting answers that are probably not wrong but I always thought it's mostly because analog computers would be rather huge, like room sized or bigger with modern instruction sets and functions,  ie you can't make analog circuits small enough to be feasible,  and it would also be prohibitively expensive.  Same with radios,  stereos,  tvs,  etc.  Those could be easily made analog but making them mostly digital is just more efficient? 

PS: Im pretty sure those were analog? 

https://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/birth-of-the-computer/4/78

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

The transistor alone is extremely cheap, fast, easy to understand and (with nowadays technology) easy to shrink to these arbitrary small nanometer-sizes. With a transistor, you have a basic "measuring device" that basically has an input and an output. 

This "measuring device" looks if the input voltage is above a certain threshold (defined by the chemistry of the junction chemistry and possibly geometry) and sets its output to "1".

Analog circuits need to distinguish not only "is the voltage there or not", but they have to decode the actual voltage level. The fastest analog couplers sip quite a large amount of current. Analog technology is kinda coming to the consumer electronics in the form of 10gig Ethernet and PCIe 6 - these use a "PAM4" modulation, that distinguishes four different voltage levels and therefore sends two bit per transfer. And boy, these Ethernet-Chips are getting HOT. 

For certain applications, an analog "computer" can be built to follow a certain model - for example to solve differential equations, that might end in a numeric catastrophe when solved numerically. To be clear, these computers are not certainly working with continuous signals (waveform-electricity) but form an "analogy" to a model. The idea of an analog computer is not based on "fixed structure and flexible code" but "flexible structure and no code". Meaning, the structure itself is the program. 
But these computers are by far not "multi purpose" but solve ONE TYPE of differential equations depending on their current configuration/structure - and no, Crysis is not a differential equation.😄

6 hours ago, Laborant said:

Crysis is not a differential equation.

Dreams shattered...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 4/6/2021 at 6:39 PM, SIERRA880 said:

I had a computer science class where the teacher said that analog computer existed but not for long. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly why 😕

But my guess is because analog signal is not as "stable" as digital signal. That's why logic gate have threshold to avoid changing state if there's a perturbation on the wire.

There is an analogue computer (I believe one of the first) called "baby" on display at the museum of science and industry in manchester. 

It's pretty interesting, they had loads on info on in on their website.

On 4/9/2021 at 3:40 PM, Laborant said:

ty this really cleared up things the most for me

Ping me or quote me in replys ples. Anyone talking about AiOs and trashing people for a front mount watch THIS JAYZTWOCENTS VID because u 99.9% skipped or didnt understand the Gamers Nexus vid...

Spoiler

Also pineapple doesnt go on pizza