Circuit Breaker Frequently Tripping After Upgrading Ryzen 3600 to 5600x

Go to solution Solved by BrianTheElectrician,
1 hour ago, CWasson said:

So my bathroom plug is 20a, and appear to be AFCI/GFCI, based on the breaker. My Kill-a-watt is only rated for 15a. Can I plug it into the 20a bathroom plug to monitor my PC wattage, or will it overpower the meter? Will it draw 20a at all times, or only when under full load?

What information, other than clamping and testing the breaker, would you think I should get to move forward? Our maintenance guy is going to replace the bedroom breaker here in the next day or 2. I tested all of the sockets in that room with an electrical receptacle tester and circuit analyzer, and all of them came back as correctly wired. Should I refrain from running my PC on other circuits until he swaps out that breaker, or do you think I'm safe to do so?

I appreciate your help!

You're fine to try running it on other circuits, that won't hurt anything. The 15A or 20A rating is just the maximum rating for the amount of current that device can carry, what it can carry Continiously is usually 80% of the rating so 12A for 15A and 16A for 20A. Your killawatt being rated at 15A just means don't have loads plugged in that draw more than that total. Again, apply 80% here so 12A or 1440w. Only the amount of current pulled by the loads are what flows on the circuit. If for example you had a 120w light bulb, that would draw 1A. If that was the only load on that circuit, that's all the current that would flow.

So yes, you'd be fine plugging it into the 20A receptacle as long as you don't pull more than its rated current through it (15A peak, 12A continiously).

If your maintenance guy is replacing the breaker I would just wait until he's done that and see how it is. It's likely a nuisance trip issues with the breaker itself. In the meantime, you can run a cord from a plug on a different circuit to run your computer.

1 minute ago, CWasson said:

That is the one!!! I got one myself from HF and they work like the rest of them you find online. Same brand/company makes it to sell at HF. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

36 minutes ago, CWasson said:

Alright all you lovely people, I've got some pictures of the breaker box for ya.

20210406_082233.jpg

20210406_082220.jpg

20210406_082213.jpg

Square d home line.  That supports cheap.  Looks like lots of space in the box for more circuits though. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 hours ago, Derkoli said:

I believe in the US, ALCI is only required for bathroom circuits, why the entire residence isn't protected by ALCI is beyond me. In the UK, and other countries, the entire house is required to have RCD protection. I had to chuck some real beefy RCD's into my fuse box when installing 32A 240V 3-phase into my home.

It is impossible with correctly done wiring. Homes in the US typically have "split phase" 115-0-115V input. So they can connect lighter loads, such as a TV, to just a single line. Then connect really high power stuff between the two lines and get 230V for high power stuff, such as showers or electric ovens.

In the US, for three-phase inputs, they often use the same trick that europeans use, which is earthing the mid-point of one of the secondary windings (high leg delta config IIRC) to give 120, 208 and 240V depending on which line/lines you connect to. And then they have a 240/415/480V version of the same thing for really power hungry appliances, such as things like MEWP chargers.

I’m not so familiar with 3 phase myself.  I’ve only dealt with the US 2 180° “phases”.  I’m not a real electrician.  Just a landlord.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

16 minutes ago, CWasson said:

Very true.  Yep.  That’s it.  You may be able to check one out of your local library for free though.  At least you can here.  There are a lot of different brands of them “kill-a-watt” is just a brand name.  It’s a real brand though so it’s not some harbor freight house brand crap.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Very true.  Yep.  That’s it.  You may be able to check one out of your local library for free though.  At least you can here.  There are a lot of different brands of them “kill-a-watt” is just a brand name.  It’s a real brand though so it’s not some harbor freight house brand crap though.

I'd like to have one for future issues honestly. Buying it after work today, popping it into my bathroom 20a circuit, and running some games to see what happens. Is there a memory on board? Like, if my PC suddenly pulls a shit ton of power, and the circuit trips, will the killawatt just shut off, or will it show me what the last draw wattage was so I can see if there was a spike?

31 minutes ago, CWasson said:

I'd like to have one for future issues honestly. Buying it after work today, popping it into my bathroom 20a circuit, and running some games to see what happens. Is there a memory on board? Like, if my PC suddenly pulls a shit ton of power, and the circuit trips, will the killawatt just shut off, or will it show me what the last draw wattage was so I can see if there was a spike?

I dunno.  I don’t own one.  If I need one I check it out of the library.  I already got too many tools.  I can also do that with an infra red camera to look for escaping heat in my outer walls.

You could use it to find out how much stuff is really drawing.  They’re great for finding “ghost power” devices that only claim to turn off. Lot of those these days. Your computer will be one btw.  I was thinking once you know what you’ve got on that particular circuit you could measure stuff to see what might be cheapest to change.  It’s somewhat rare to have more than one circuit in a given room or even series of smaller rooms. That one circuit could do any number of rooms.  You might be able to solve your problem simply by plugging your tv in somewhere else or something.  

Edited by Bombastinator

34 minutes ago, CWasson said:

Should I try a 20a circuit and see if those trip?

Well, yeah that would be the first course of action imo.  

Also I don't know how a kill a watt would help,  your pc can't possibly draw more than 500w so if that trips the breaker it still means something isn't working as it should. 

But if you're lucky those 20a won't have the same problem. 

*fingers crossed*

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 minutes ago, CWasson said:

I don't have one either,  but I'm fairly certain they store the last measurement, it's why people recommend this specific brand i guess. 

And while I don't think your pc draws more than it should,  i agree it's maybe good to have a peace of mind. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

28 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Well, yeah that would be the first course of action imo.  

Also I don't know how a kill a watt would help,  your pc can't possibly draw more than 500w so if that trips the breaker it still means something isn't working as it should. 

But if you're lucky those 20a won't have the same problem. 

*fingers crossed*

I wouldn’t call it a SAFE course of action.  Breakers are sized to wiring thickness.  It’s not impossible I suppose that they used 12g wire instead of 14g wire (it’s what I did, but i also put in emt everywhere and use thhn) I also won’t use squareD hom line either though.  It’s the cheapest thing that’s legal and it’s only barely legal.  That it’s in there says you’ve likely got 14g Romex for your 15amp circuits unless they found something even cheaper.  One area where squareD hom line falls down is it’s not so good at frequent repetitive overload SS which is what seems to have happened.  Might be time for a new breaker.  Make your landlord pay for it (you should be able to do that) rather than buy it yourself though.  They’re not expensive but why do his building upkeep for him? *is not particularly loyal to other landlords*

Edited by Bombastinator

23 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I wouldn’t call it a SAFE course of action.  Breakers are sized to wiring thickness.  It’s not impossible I suppose that they used 12g wire instead of 14g wire (it’s what I did, but i also put in emt everywhere and use thhn) I also won’t use squareD hom line either though.  It’s the cheapest thing that’s legal and it’s only barely legal.  That it’s in there says you’ve likely got 14g Romex for your 15amp circuits unless they found something even cheaper. 

Hopefully those cheap squareD's are the culprit. I've been at the place for over 2 years at this point, running a similarly demanding PC on that same circuit the whole time, so maybe I'm just really putting that thing through its paces and it finally gave up the ghost.

From what I've read, those can be replaced without too much fuss, so maybe my maintenance guy can do that without contracting it.

8 minutes ago, CWasson said:

Hopefully those cheap squareD's are the culprit. I've been at the place for over 2 years at this point, running a similarly demanding PC on that same circuit the whole time, so maybe I'm just really putting that thing through its paces and it finally gave up the ghost.

From what I've read, those can be replaced without too much fuss, so maybe my maintenance guy can do that without contracting it.

That...  might actually be the case.  I don’t know if they fail towards smaller voltages or not though.  Hence the kill-a-watt to make sure you aren’t actually pulling more than 1500w. All I really know is they’re garbage. Nice thing about a kill-a-watt though is you can actually lower your monthly electric bill with one.  If you can cut your bill even $5 with it it pays for itself in less than a year.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

That...  might actually be the case.  I don’t know if they fail towards smaller voltages or not though.  Hence the kill-a-watt to make sure you aren’t actually pulling more than 1500w. All I really know is they’re garbage. 

And odds that anything in my PC is the culprit are slim to none right? Both PSUs are relatively high end and 80+ Gold, so they would just result in a PC crash, not a circuit break, if there was another component in the PC malfunctioning? My last step before putting all of the blame on my apartment wiring would be putting the Ryzen 3600 back in and seeing what happens.

1 minute ago, CWasson said:

And odds that anything in my PC is the culprit are slim to none right? Both PSUs are relatively high end and 80+ Gold, so they would just result in a PC crash, not a circuit break, if there was another component in the PC malfunctioning? My last step before putting all of the blame on my apartment wiring would be putting the Ryzen 3600 back in and seeing what happens.

I dunno, but the PSU is just a really powerful AC->DC converter.  The entire computer draws power through it and a decent one will shut down before drawing more power than it’s rated for.  The circuit is i. The wall though and could go anywhere including someone else’s apartment (it wouldn’t be legal but it’s not impossible.  When I bought my building I found an illegal tap off the main hidden behind a wall that was used to power a welder for the garage. 😕   I removed that.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I dunno, but the PSU is just a really powerful AC->DC converter.  The entire computer draws power through it and a decent one will shut down before drawing more power than it’s rated for.  The circuit is i. The wall though and could go anywhere including someone else’s apartment (it wouldn’t be legal but it’s not impossible.  When I bought my building I found an illegal tap off the main hidden behind a wall that was used to power a welder for the garage. 😕   I removed that.

I've always suspected we're powering the lights in the community hallway, and there's a "rec room" right on the other side of the wall I also suspect we're paying electricity for.

Any legal action worth taking should I find that to be the case? I doubt in my lease, considering we pay for electricity, that it says we're responsible for paying for power for a communal space, and our electricity bill skyrockets during the winter months, potentially because we're also paying to heat that room and the hallway 🤔

I doubt you'll see high draw from your pc through a watt meter, I think your pc is fine, the monitor might be drawing alot too.

The arc fault breakers that are installed are being triggered by some momentary spike that you wouldn't notice on a normal circuit.  

The best option is to install a normal 15amp breaker on that circuit.(non gfci).  

6 minutes ago, CWasson said:

I've always suspected we're powering the lights in the community hallway, and there's a "rec room" right on the other side of the wall I also suspect we're paying electricity for.

Any legal action worth taking should I find that to be the case? I doubt in my lease, considering we pay for electricity, that it says we're responsible for paying for power for a communal space, and our electricity bill skyrockets during the winter months, potentially because we're also paying to heat that room and the hallway 🤔

Easy way to check:  go turn the lights on in the Rex room, go to you box, flip the breaker, and see if the rec room lights go out.  If they do your landlord owes you money.

9 minutes ago, Heliian said:

I doubt you'll see high draw from your pc through a watt meter, I think your pc is fine, the monitor might be drawing alot too.

The arc fault breakers that are installed are being triggered by some momentary spike that you wouldn't notice on a normal circuit.  

The best option is to install a normal 15amp breaker on that circuit.(non gfci).  

I hate arc fault sooo much.  They cost 8 times what regular breakers do. Maybe it’s gotten better if that code went National.  For a while it was only Minnesota through and the things were near $100 a pop.  The only reason they even exist is because somewhere in some house there was an uninsulated outlet with an outlet to the outside so the thing collected dust bunnies for 30 years and finally caught fire. 

Edited by Bombastinator

13 minutes ago, Heliian said:

Thanks, I'll mention that to the maintenance guy when the time comes. Hopefully he's willing and doesn't have his hands tied by code for the city or something.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Easy way to check:  go turn the lights on in the Rex room, go to you box, flip the breaker, and see if the rec room lights go out.  If they do your landlord owes you money.

Will do after work today.

Haha, I've suspected something else being on these wires the whole time,  it's not like a circuit breaker is strictly for one room or anything,  because i still can't see this pc drawing more than 500 (likely less) and a monitor draws like 150 max I'm guessing...

The plot thickens... 🤣

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

You could also check the outlets if there are any.  You’d need a tester though.  They’re cheap.  They look something like thisFD6557C7-09FB-4AE4-B4C9-F3EF425B8190.jpeg.9fdd3b2c4ea760252f7a52dbc50929e0.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Haha, I've suspected something else being on these wires the whole time,  it's not like a circuit breaker is strictly for one room or anything,  because i still can't see this pc drawing more than 500 (likely less) and a monitor draws like 150 max I'm guessing...

The plot thickens... 🤣

Right, and since I've been trouble shooting, I've tried it with just 1 monitor, 2 monitors, my TV setup plugged in, unplugged, etc. All configurations lead to the same result. A difference of a few watts from a CPU upgrade vs completely unplugging an entire monitor is far more significant in terms of draw on the circuit. Gotta be something else.

First off, I'm assuming that your located in Canada or the US as the electrical codes are similar. Sorry if you've mentioned it already but I've just had time to skim through.

Your building having been built in the last 2 years should have arc fault breakers on any common area plug circuits, especially bedrooms. These breakers are labelled as afci and have a test button on them, similar to a gfci breaker. I've seen them trip before on circuits with switching power supplies and in fact hhad that in a suite we lived in where the arc fault breaker would trip when uusing our laser printer. Switching to a normal breaker it never tripped and I swapped it back before we moved. Either something is on the circuit that the afci breaker is not happy about, or the circuit is indeed being overloaded.

You mentioned you ran a cord to a different plug but a breaker still tripped. Was it the same breaker? If so then the outlet you plugged into was on the same circuit that you were plugged into originally.

Breakers do get weak over time due to heat as well if they're run close to their rating and can start to trip at currents lower than they're supposed to. 

From my understanding, the newer arc faults are better at not nuisance tripping so if that's what you have it may be worth looking at replacing it. The other option would be to replace with a new normal breaker, though it would technically be against code to do so, but in a situation like this I don't see many other options.

I would start by seeing what type of breaker you have, and what exactly else is on that circuit. From that you can determine if it's overloaded or a nuisance trip. It's possible your upgrade could have caused it but I'd say a slim chance, it would have already had to of been on the ragged edge of tripping before.

Arc faults typically don't like switching power supplies but you generally need a lot of them for it to be an issue. Motor loads especially don't seem to agree with them... Fans, vacuums etc.

The best way to know for sure is to clamp the circuit and see what the actual draw is when it trips. For that however you would need to open the panel which I would only recommend for someone who knows what they're doing.

20 minutes ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

First off, I'm assuming that your located in Canada or the US as the electrical codes are similar. Sorry if you've mentioned it already but I've just had time to skim through.

Your building having been built in the last 2 years should have arc fault breakers on any common area plug circuits, especially bedrooms. These breakers are labelled as afci and have a test button on them, similar to a gfci breaker. I've seen them trip before on circuits with switching power supplies and in fact hhad that in a suite we lived in where the arc fault breaker would trip when uusing our laser printer. Switching to a normal breaker it never tripped and I swapped it back before we moved. Either something is on the circuit that the afci breaker is not happy about, or the circuit is indeed being overloaded.

You mentioned you ran a cord to a different plug but a breaker still tripped. Was it the same breaker? If so then the outlet you plugged into was on the same circuit that you were plugged into originally.

Breakers do get weak over time due to heat as well if they're run close to their rating and can start to trip at currents lower than they're supposed to. 

From my understanding, the newer arc faults are better at not nuisance tripping so if that's what you have it may be worth looking at replacing it. The other option would be to replace with a new normal breaker, though it would technically be against code to do so, but in a situation like this I don't see many other options.

I would start by seeing what type of breaker you have, and what exactly else is on that circuit. From that you can determine if it's overloaded or a nuisance trip. It's possible your upgrade could have caused it but I'd say a slim chance, it would have already had to of been on the ragged edge of tripping before.

Arc faults typically don't like switching power supplies but you generally need a lot of them for it to be an issue. Motor loads especially don't seem to agree with them... Fans, vacuums etc.

The best way to know for sure is to clamp the circuit and see what the actual draw is when it trips. For that however you would need to open the panel which I would only recommend for someone who knows what they're doing.

Just because I'm dumb, can you clarify that when you say "the same breaker", you mean the same switch labeled "bedroom", etc? Not the entire box, right? All of the breakers in the box have a test button on them with the exception of the higher amp circuits that are labeled AC, laundry, stove, and I do not have access to those plugs.

Would there be separate breaker switches for different rooms that might actually be on the same circuit? If there's a breaker that's going out, would running my PC on a different breaker, like my 20a bathroom one (despite also having a test button) be safe until the 15a bedroom breaker is replaced? Or is it more like if one goes bad, all nearby breakers need replacing?

Thanks for your reply!

Edit: now that you mention it, the bathroom breaker has always tripped when the bedroom one did, but the breaker for the bathroom says 20a while the bedroom says 15a. Is it likely that those are on the same circuit despite having different amperages? I attached a photo of my breaker box for clarity.

20210406_082213.jpg