Is it possible to find big laptop with external replaceable battery?

Hi,

I'm curious if I can still find a laptop that has battery you can detach externally like from those old days of 2013/2014. The flat battery always getting bloated, and it destroys the laptop casing more time than I can count. To makes matter worse, it's very hard to get a laptop case for your particular model.

Seriously, why do we still use internal type Li-Po battery? Can't they like make those flat battery detachable externally so it won't destroy the laptop casing if it gets bloated?

Regards

Chiyawa

Side note: Anyone know if there's a manufacturer making desktop replacement (A big laptop with more than 17 inch display) that has 0 battery in it?

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

From my experience working tech retail, you’re not gonna find it, at least with the popular brands like ASUS or DELL. However a few laptops today have easy replaceable batteries with the added step of removing the bottom cover.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

4 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

From my experience working tech retail, you’re not gonna find it, at least with the popular brands like ASUS or DELL. However a few laptops today have easy replaceable batteries with the added step of removing the bottom cover.

Yeah. At least some laptops are able to remove the battery with a few screws. The problem is the battery can be bloated, and if you are not aware of it soon enough, it will likely to destroy the casing. Tablets are another thing, like the surface Pro, that has 0 accessibility of the battery (but it seems their battery never gets bloated).

Still, I wish they could do it like the old days, with a flick of a lever or two and out comes the battery. I can even replace the battery while the system is still on.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Just now, Chiyawa said:

Yeah. At least some laptops are able to remove the battery with a few screws. The problem is the battery can be bloated, and if you are not aware of it soon enough, it will likely to destroy the casing. Tablets are another thing, like the surface Pro, that has 0 accessibility of the battery (but it seems their battery never gets bloated).

Still, I wish they could do it like the old days, with a flick of a lever or two and out comes the battery. I can even replace the battery while the system is still on.

I can tell you right now, the surface battery can explode, seen it happen.

As for battery bloat, it’s really rare, hence why you shouldn’t worry as much about it.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

24 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

I can tell you right now, the surface battery can explode, seen it happen.

As for battery bloat, it’s really rare, hence why you shouldn’t worry as much about it.

Yeah. The surface battery rarely gets bloated, unlike most of the Dell's and HP's battery.

Hmm... Well, if Surface Pro 4 battery can explode, I think I should invest on a blast proof container.

50 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Side note: Anyone know if there's a manufacturer making desktop replacement (A big laptop with more than 17 inch display) that has 0 battery in it?

XMG ULTRA 17 with its removable battery?

25 minutes ago, Zagna said:

XMG ULTRA 17 with its removable battery?

I see. I wonder if this unit will ship to Malaysia. With that said, the Neo 17 looks quite awesome too. Thanks.

I've had a ton of problems with LiPo pouch type batteries (fortunately nothing fiery, yet) but none really with the packs made of 18650-type cells, those just stop holding a good charge after awhile and don't do anything dramatic. Unfortunately everythings mostly going with LiPo now because laptops with 18650 packs can't be thinner than 30mm or so while the trend even for higher-performance models is for chassis like 25-20mm or even less.

There are a few exceptions, mostly Clevo-derived machines like the XMG mentioned earlier in the thread. The 2020 model PowerSpec 1530 (aka Clevo PB50DF2) I've been using has a removable battery pack that appears to be made of 18650 cells but it's held in with screws instead of the usual quick release latch which kind of defeats the point, but at least the battery is at less risk of going thermonuclear.

Powerspec 1530 (Clevo PB50DF2) ~ i7 10875H ~ RTX 2070 Super 115W ~ 32GB DDR4 ~ 2x 1TB NVMe ~ 2TB 5400RPM ~ 1080P 240hz matte IPS

Gigabyte G1 GA-970-SLI ~ FX 8320 @ 3.3Ghz, 1212mV ~ 16GB DDR3 ~ Radeon 570 4GB ~ 512GB NVMe ~ 2x 1TB HGST 7200RPM

Xtras ~ Dell 22" 1680x1050 matte IPS monitor ~ Logi M705 mouse ~ PowerA Fusion Pro Xbox One controller ~ Sony XB950N1 headphones ~ Epson V700 film scanner

Streaming Setup ~ OBS Studio with AMF encoding ~ iVCam bridged to LG G6 ~ Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface ~ TONOR condenser cardioid mic

14 hours ago, Natty Ice said:

I've had a ton of problems with LiPo pouch type batteries (fortunately nothing fiery, yet) but none really with the packs made of 18650-type cells, those just stop holding a good charge after awhile and don't do anything dramatic. Unfortunately everythings mostly going with LiPo now because laptops with 18650 packs can't be thinner than 30mm or so while the trend even for higher-performance models is for chassis like 25-20mm or even less.

There are a few exceptions, mostly Clevo-derived machines like the XMG mentioned earlier in the thread. The 2020 model PowerSpec 1530 (aka Clevo PB50DF2) I've been using has a removable battery pack that appears to be made of 18650 cells but it's held in with screws instead of the usual quick release latch which kind of defeats the point, but at least the battery is at less risk of going thermonuclear.

Indeed. Part of the charm from the old laptop is the battery won't destroy your case. Li-po battery will destroy your laptop when it bloated. I don't care if 18650 couldn't hold as much charge as Li-Po, but I definitely appreciate that they do not cause damage to the system.

Newer HP ZBook 15 and 17 has user removable battery, no tools required, quickrelease bottom cover and quickrelease battery. 

In my experience the casings usualy dont get any damage if the battery swells. I have replaced batteries where the laptop looked like a football, but no damage to the casing or touchpad several times

I prefer laptops that have an easily removable battery, like this.

445403321_IMG_20181106_031405811_HDR-clevolaptopbattery.thumb.jpg.e756759e7f5105f125d37514ede32425.jpg

That's my Clevo P750DM-G -- you can see part of the spot where the battery sits on the upper right of the pic.  I don't have to remove the back cover to take the battery off - that's nice.  (Also that battery was dead, has been replaced around the time the pic was taken (Nov 2018) and the replacement is still going strong.)  Also for other things that I do need to remove the back cover, it's quite easy to get into it, unless I need to get under the keyboard (to install a WiFi module or RAM in slots 3 & 4) but even that isn't super hard.

My dad's older Dell D830 laptop's battery is also just as easily removable as that one.  His newer 2018 Inspiron 17" laptop, IIRC, requires removing the back cover to get at the battery.

8 hours ago, Selle said:

Newer HP ZBook 15 and 17 has user removable battery, no tools required, quickrelease bottom cover and quickrelease battery. 

In my experience the casings usualy dont get any damage if the battery swells. I have replaced batteries where the laptop looked like a football, but no damage to the casing or touchpad several times

I see. Your laptop might be well design. For mine, the battery bloated and causes the screw mounting to dislodge from the plastic, effectively destroy the housing as the housing no longer can be screw (and a certain manufacturer out right uses super cheap brittle plastic as their case to boot).

10 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I prefer laptops that have an easily removable battery, like this.

That's my Clevo P750DM-G -- you can see part of the spot where the battery sits on the upper right of the pic.  I don't have to remove the back cover to take the battery off - that's nice.  (Also that battery was dead, has been replaced around the time the pic was taken (Nov 2018) and the replacement is still going strong.)  Also for other things that I do need to remove the back cover, it's quite easy to get into it, unless I need to get under the keyboard (to install a WiFi module or RAM in slots 3 & 4) but even that isn't super hard.

My dad's older Dell D830 laptop's battery is also just as easily removable as that one.  His newer 2018 Inspiron 17" laptop, IIRC, requires removing the back cover to get at the battery.

Yes. That's what I'm looking for as well. Sadly, this type of laptop with this type of battery are hard to find from mainstream manufacturer.