Questions About My UPS and Laser Printer

mishmish

Hi All,

I just had a question about my UPS and laser printer. For a long time I had my desktop and monitor plugged into a surge protector. Last November I got a CyberPower UPS. Now I know not to plug the laser printer into it, at least specifically not into the battery backup plugs, but it is all on the same circuit.

Before I had the UPS, when I would print, my little desk lamp would dim, I never really payed attention to it. We are in an older apartment that seems to have issues like any old dwelling, so it didn't surprise me.

So like I said, I've had the UPS since November, its been working great, wish I got it sooner. I've don't the power off self test that is in the CyberPower software, and it works. I also switched off that breaker (rather then just unplug the UPS) to see if it would work, and it transferred to battery fine.

My question has to do with when I print from my laser printer. My lamp still dims a little bit, but the UPS makes a clicking sound, and when I go to the details in the software, it shows that the battery was discharging for about 3 seconds, then goes back to normal. I turned on the display to the UPS, and the input is generally at 117 or 118v. When I print from a cold laser printer, I can see the UPS briefly go on battery power, input goes to 114v, then goes back to 118v.

I wanted to know if this is anything I should be concerned about. I was going to post this question here a while ago, but just didn't, I figured that the UPS is doing exactly what it should be doing, its regulating the power to the PC. But is this ok for the UPS? Am I damaging the battery at all? I know that I will have to eventually replace the battery, but I just wanted some more knowledgeable input on this. Thank you!

It's not the most ideal thing in the world for the batteries in the UPS, but it isn't too bad either. Basically the printer is causing the line voltage to dip enough for the UPS to switch over to the battery, and because that power event only lasts for a short burst it switches back over to line power. The UPS is trying to keep the voltage stable enough for your devices. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2