Opinions on this keyboard

nixproducer

So i was waiting for the Corsair RGB keyboard but then i watched linus's 780 Poseidon  reveiw( i know im a bit late because my youtube doesnt work) and i saw this keyboard and do you think that this keyboard is a good competitor against corsairs and now whos is the "first mechanical RGB keyboard" because corsairs was revealed first but this one was released first?

feel free to say your opinions on each keyboard

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

well corsair is one of the best brands for almost any computer part..

this other keyboard brand i have never heard of....

probably some cheap crap made in china

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Doesn't say whose switches they have in the Lobera Supreme, also there is a reason individual key RBG lighting hasn't been made yet, so i would go with corsair simply because i trust them more :)

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Linus showed it on the show, so at least basics should be ok

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Linus showed it on the show, so at least basics should be ok

its a keyboard, nothing special

most people will wait for the legit cherry RGB keyboard from Corsair

non-cherry keyswitches are crap

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Sorry, are you talking about Tesoro?

Tesoro is definitely not a cheap knock-off brand. Not sure if they're using Cherry MX switches for this particular keyboard, but the brand itself isn't bad.

A noticeable disadvantage is I've never seen any sort of "region" color change in the Tesoro. If you only want to change a keyboard's entire backlight color at a time, this might be a solid choice, if it's still using Cherry MX switches, and will most likely be cheaper than the full RGB by Corsair.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Tesoro is definitely not a cheap knock-off brand. Not sure if they're using Cherry MX switches for this particular keyboard, but the brand itself isn't bad.

A noticeable disadvantage is I've never seen any sort of "region" color change in the Tesoro. If you only want to change a keyboard's entire backlight color at a time, this might be a solid choice, if it's still using Cherry MX switches, and will most likely be cheaper than the full RGB by Corsair.

im pretty sure Cherry made a deal with Corsair, and Corsair will be the ONLY brand carrying the Cherry RGB keyswitches

Spoiler

im pretty sure Cherry made a deal with Corsair, and Corsair will be the ONLY brand carrying the Cherry RGB keyswitches

yes, this year Corsair is the only company using Cherry's new transparent body switches with the LED mounted directly, however maybe Tesoro found a work around. It definitely makes me question if the switches used are made by Cherry :P

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

yes, this year Corsair is the only company using Cherry's new transparent body switches with the LED mounted directly, however maybe Tesoro found a work around. It definitely makes me question if the switches used are made by Cherry :P

They aren't, they're khail.

non-cherry keyswitches are crap

Any proof of this in regards to Kailh switches, aside from the one picture of a broken yellow stem that's been around forever? I can't find anyone denouncing them except Geekhack, which doesn't really mean much.

Hey Guys hopefully I can chime here and help answer some questions. The Lobera Supreme does indeed use Kswitches and is full color RGB. More info at our website: www.tesorogamingusa.com 

Kailh is the same company that Razer is now using in their keyboards as well. 

We have working very hard to develop The Lobera Supreme and it is the first RGB keyboard out on the market that you can actually purchase. We have received tons of great feedback and are honored that it was received so well. 

I will check in from time to time to answer anymore questions you may have. 

Cheers,

Jeremy

For US & Canada Residents: www.tesorogamingusa.com

Keyboard: Lobera Supreme ¦ Mouse: Gandiva ¦ Headset: Kuven ¦

Kailh is the same company that Razer is now using in their keyboards as well.

Tech forums are more likely to see that as a warning than a reassurance. :unsure:

That said, welcome to the forums. Tesoro certainly deserve a larger recognition.

Tech forums are more likely to see that as a warning than a reassurance. :unsure:

That said, welcome to the forums. Tesoro certainly deserve a larger recognition.

Thanks for the warm welcome. 

How is it viewed as a warning? You seem like someone who is well educated in this arena. I would love to hear more about this  :)

How is it viewed as a warning? You seem like someone who is well educated in this arena. I would love to hear more about this :)

people generally associate Razer with crappy build quality on a lot of their products and after moving to kaihl from cherry people just associated that with being even cheaper and crappier, until the non cherry switches become more popular abd well known and have been out for a while with no major problem I think people will think of them as a cheap worse cherry knock off

Also I love the look of a lot of your guys products I might have to buy something to see how it is up close and personal, no one has made a perfect keyboard for me yet with all the features I want but some tesoro keyboards come close

Linus spoke pretty favorably of the new switches that razer is now using. Better/faster actuation point etc. compared to cherry switches.

How is it viewed as a warning? You seem like someone who is well educated in this arena. I would love to hear more about this  :)

Well, Razer's been trying to market their new Kailh switches as the 'gaming' switch, basically selling itself like a hoe, and most of us who have some knowledge of switches tend to shy away from Kailh which have been known to make Cherry clones.....which aren't as good as the original Cherry. The trouble with it is perception, most savvier keyboard enthusiasts (is there any other kind?) would not bother with Kailh switches.....I certainly wouldn't, and I'm not even an enthusiast!

Someone'd casually dismissed GH intolerance of Kailh switches, but GH is one of the big keyboard forums that most, who have been bitten by the mechanical keyboard bug, would end up going to sooner or later. FYI, I did not pick up this hatred of Kailh switches there, rather, I simply prefer Cherry MX switches and Topre. IF the keyboard is pretty cheap and uses Kailh switches, it's fine by me. But for companies like Razer to have the audacity/gall to charge more for Kailh switch keyboards vis-a-vis Cherry MX keyboards (BWU 2014 vs BWU 2013), then it strikes me as a great example of profiteering or money grubbing at its worst.

Sorry for my rather long discourse, I get that way when I feel strongly about a subject......forgot my manners, welcome to LTT! :) BTW, I have nothing against Tesoro, first encountered your brand with the Durandal IIRC.......decently priced mech keyboard in my neck of the woods. Honestly, if it were between Razer and Tesoro, you guys get my vote! ;)

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I wasn't sure what to think of Linus and Luke's argument over Kailh and switch branding, but at least according to this thread concerning the same product, it seems Linus was right. See the color of the switch and pay no mind to its manufacturer. If no one ever told them, they'd never know the difference. And even if they were told, any difference would probably be placebo. On one hand, I personally view it as somewhat shady - similar to how a few Chinese car manufacturers copy BMW, Mercedes Benz, Bentley, and other luxury manufacturers' styling expecting the traits of the original to sell the knock-off. On the other hand, I'm not the one these kinds of keyboards are marketed towards, so more power to them.

It seems like the other replies to you pretty much covered it. The perception of Razer is such that people will assume they're cheaping out rather than trying to improve or mix things up, so Kailh switches end up taking a hit to their reputation merely by being used by Razer, even though there doesn't seem to be any actual evidence of Kailh's inferiority to Cherry.

I'm not entirely sure in what way Tesoro and Max Keyboards are linked (I'm assuming sister company?), but it's similar to how everyone was paranoid that Max keyboards were simply rebrands of some poorly regarded iOne/Xarmor boards. I remember they had to outline all the ways their boards differed down to the colour of the PCB and such to try and persuade people they weren't the same ones.

Allow me to give you some of my thoughts about this. These Kailh switches are said to be the clone of Cherry switches. Obviously they will not be the exact same as Cherry switches, but they will feel somewhat similar to Cherry switches, at least for most people who don't have any knowledge about mechanical switches, which can be a good thing for those switches to enter the market. Unfortunately, the most crucial information (for me personally) seems to be hard to find, which is the build quality, the durability of each individual switch. Seeing these Kailh switches as the clone of Cherry switches, doesn't mean that they will last as long, especially when people start shouting that these switches are made in China. I don't have anything against Chinese made stuff, in fact I have quite a few things that last more than a decade which are made in China, but you know how it sounds when something you have never heard of is labeled 'made in China'.

My point is, I'm not saying that Kailh switches are bad. They just need more confirmation about the quality so people can be convinced. Maybe companies like Tesoro can do some durability test and show the result to people as a form of confirmation that these switches are indeed as good as if not better than Cherry switches. Who knows, this might be good for them to gain market interest. Razer may be using these switches, but correct me if I'm wrong, I've never seen Razer mention anything about Kailh switches. Even if they do, we can't rely only on one result, especially from a company that has received quite a lot of complaints on their products.

"Yippie-ki-yay motherf**ker!"  ~John McClane

people generally associate Razer with crappy build quality on a lot of their products and after moving to kaihl from cherry people just associated that with being even cheaper and crappier, until the non cherry switches become more popular abd well known and have been out for a while with no major problem I think people will think of them as a cheap worse cherry knock off

Also I love the look of a lot of your guys products I might have to buy something to see how it is up close and personal, no one has made a perfect keyboard for me yet with all the features I want but some tesoro keyboards come close

I definitely see your point of view. Time will tell if the switches will hold up to its specifications (we think they will). One thing I have noticed being on the ground in China and doing factory inspections is that its all about Quality Control. China is capable to making anything but they usually lack in design and quality control. The anatomy of a mechanical switch is fairly simple so we turned to the other variable and enforced strict quality control policies. Most companies do this from Best Buy's Insignia Brand to Fuhu's Nabi. They find top manufactures and work with them on improving the QC standards. This is what we have done with Kailh =)

Linus spoke pretty favorably of the new switches that razer is now using. Better/faster actuation point etc. compared to cherry switches.

Yes he did when introducing Razers new switches. They were definitely smart to take advantage of the lapse in Cherrys patent. 

Well, Razer's been trying to market their new Kailh switches as the 'gaming' switch, basically selling itself like a hoe, and most of us who have some knowledge of switches tend to shy away from Kailh which have been known to make Cherry clones.....which aren't as good as the original Cherry. The trouble with it is perception, most savvier keyboard enthusiasts (is there any other kind?) would not bother with Kailh switches.....I certainly wouldn't, and I'm not even an enthusiast!

Someone'd casually dismissed GH intolerance of Kailh switches, but GH is one of the big keyboard forums that most, who have been bitten by the mechanical keyboard bug, would end up going to sooner or later. FYI, I did not pick up this hatred of Kailh switches there, rather, I simply prefer Cherry MX switches and Topre. IF the keyboard is pretty cheap and uses Kailh switches, it's fine by me. But for companies like Razer to have the audacity/gall to charge more for Kailh switch keyboards vis-a-vis Cherry MX keyboards (BWU 2014 vs BWU 2013), then it strikes me as a great example of profiteering or money grubbing at its worst.

Sorry for my rather long discourse, I get that way when I feel strongly about a subject......forgot my manners, welcome to LTT! :) BTW, I have nothing against Tesoro, first encountered your brand with the Durandal IIRC.......decently priced mech keyboard in my neck of the woods. Honestly, if it were between Razer and Tesoro, you guys get my vote! ;)

I understand the frustration here. Cherry definitely has the experience and prestige behind their switches. Which is why we offer their switches in most of our keyboards. It wasn't until recently we integrated kswitches into our full color RGB keyboard. We tried endlessly to fit a RGB led (4 prongs vs 2 prongs for regular leds) into a Cherry switch but its impossible. Working with Kailh made it possible to bring this innovation to life. There's also the issue of supply and demand. Cherry switch outages were common in 2013 so this gave Kailh a big incentive to drastically improve their product =) Cheers.

It seems like the other replies to you pretty much covered it. The perception of Razer is such that people will assume they're cheaping out rather than trying to improve or mix things up, so Kailh switches end up taking a hit to their reputation merely by being used by Razer, even though there doesn't seem to be any actual evidence of Kailh's inferiority to Cherry.

I'm not entirely sure in what way Tesoro and Max Keyboards are linked (I'm assuming sister company?), but it's similar to how everyone was paranoid that Max keyboards were simply rebrands of some poorly regarded iOne/Xarmor boards. I remember they had to outline all the ways their boards differed down to the colour of the PCB and such to try and persuade people they weren't the same ones.

You've hit the nail on the head here. There isnt actual evidence of Kailh's inferiority. It comes from China and that is enough to raise eyebrows. Time will tell and help give the gaming community reassurance. From our end we have had the opportunity to see the product being manufactured and have high confidence in it but its hard to translate that to everyone else. Razers move to Kailh actually shows their confidence in the kswitches as well. 

Max keyboards was one of our early distributors in the US. They added Max Keyboard in the titles of all of our products - we're definitely not sister companies. Not sure why they did that.... but it has caused some confusion to some people.

Another thing about China is the knock off race is winding down. Its much harder to do so now. Also, they realize there's no longevity in it. Many of them go out business shortly after products are released. Many factories realize that if they want to compete in a global space they need to stop monkeying around and play by the rules. 

During my visit to China early 2013 I was initially under the same impression of China that most have. But after seeing things first hand for myself I was surprisingly shocked. I stayed there for 5 months in Shenzhen and made many friends with natives (mostly colleagues) - we even played basketball and badminton together regularly. Their middle class has actually come a long way.

Anyway this is all off topic but my point being China is actually very different than I had initially imagined. Cheers!

Max keyboard makes the Tesoro keyboards and trust me they are far from "cheap china crap". 

Max keyboard makes the Tesoro keyboards and trust me they are far from "cheap china crap". 

I don't believe anyone here said that, more to do with the switch used and Razer's use of the Kailh switch which is also used in Tesoro RGB keyboards. Not exactly the same switch since one is single colored while the other is RGB, but the commonality between them is Kailh. As I'd said, I've seen Kailh switch keyboards in some of the Armaggeddon mechanical keyboards, honestly didn't mind them as they were priced below Cherry MX keyboards from the same maker. It's when a company like Razer use Kailh switch and priced their 'Razer'/Kailh switches higher than Cherry switches that I have a problem with. 

All their marketing BS about shorter actuation point is just that, marketing BS since most of us would not even notice the difference when gaming or typing for the matter. Sounds to me like they are trying to switch to a cheaper switch, sell their board at a higher price, and pocket the money saved on cheaper switch on higher priced keyboards like the BWU 2014. I'd not mind if they priced the board lower due to savings by using Kailh switches and pass on the savings to the masses while making profit at the same time. But to price the BWU 2014 (Kailh) higher than the BWU 2013 (Cherry MX) is just wrong......don't get me wrong, Razer does make pretty good mice, headsets (if you love da bass that is) and other gaming peripherals....their mechanical keyboards are just overpriced for what they bring to the table since there are cheaper keyboards around that offer good build quality at a reasonable price.

I buy my keyboards from a couple of stores locally, and one of them carries Tesoro keyboards, I've tinkered with the Durandal Ultimate and kind of like it, but I simply prefer keyboards that are simply designed, just the regular rectangular shaped keyboards like those on HHKB, KBT, Ducky, Leopold and such. The only mildly odd shaped keyboard I have is the CM Storm Trigger Cherry Green, I love it due to its Cherry MX Green switch, and that's the only reason why I've kept it.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2