Monitor upgrade

AXLP_LaZEReD

I have a question about monitors...

I am planning to get a 144Hz monitor because I want to improve my performance in FPS Games. Not performance as in frames per second,but my accuracy.

I have a 21.5" 1080p 60Hz 5ms response time right now.

Planning to get a 24" 1080p 144Hz 4ms (or 1ms,will see).

The thing is, in Apex Legends i get only 70 to 100FPS, not the full 144.

I heard from somewhere that if you dont have stable 144fps, you cannot use the full Hz and your aim will probably be the same as 60Hz.

Is this true? Or fake?

If i move on from 60Hz 90fps to 144Hz 90fps, will my accuracy improve?

My specs TL;DR:

Xeon X5650 OC 3.3Ghz
GTX 1070Ti

10GB DDR3 1333Mhz

EDIT: Maybe might get a 165Hz, same resolution. The point is still the same though.

When your monitor is set to 144hz and you don't get the '144 fps' you want you are just not taking full advantage of the monitor in that speicific senario. This can cause tearing and that is one of the reasons G-sync exists to help in these senarios.

(please correct me if I'm incorrect)

When you have a hight refresh rate monitor you will get more up to date information even if you don't meet the '144hz spec' you will still see a smoothness to it and more up to date information 🙂

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

LTT did a test of this:

It's not exactly your situation, but generally speaking higher refresh can help you react quicker. However, the single most important factor is skill. Professional gamers can frag the hell out of you at 60Hz even if you're running at 240Hz. In other words, it's not a magic bullet that instantly makes you better.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

For both answers; thanks.

Im still planning to get higher quality peripherals too.

I might get a G Sync monitor, maybe a Freesync if i cant find a G one

EDIT: While we are at the point "not taking full advantage" , is buying a 144Hz (or 165) a waste of money in my case? (250-300$)

19 minutes ago, AXLP_LaZEReD said:

For both answers; thanks.

Im still planning to get higher quality peripherals too.

I might get a G Sync monitor, maybe a Freesync if i cant find a G one

EDIT: While we are at the point "not taking full advantage" , is buying a 144Hz (or 165) a waste of money in my case? (250-300$)

I wouldn't say waste of money. There's lots of benefits to a "gaming" monitor besides just high refresh. You also don't know what your situation will be next week. Maybe you'll eventually get a better GPU that can drive more FPS to really utilize the high refresh or maybe your next favorite game will run at much higher FPS than what you're playing now.

I'd go for a FreeSync Premium monitor. They're generally compatible with Nvidia cards as well (check reviews online to verify for the specific model you buy). G-sync monitors are not that common, cost more, and of course only work with Nvidia cards. AMD didn't do it with RDNA2, but one day they may just finally topple Nvidia, and it would be nice to have the choice, rather than having to buy a new monitor.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

6 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

I wouldn't say waste of money. There's lots of benefits to a "gaming" monitor besides just high refresh. You also don't know what your situation will be next week. Maybe you'll eventually get a better GPU that can drive more FPS to really utilize the high refresh or maybe your next favorite game will run at much higher FPS than what you're playing now.

I'd go for a FreeSync Premium monitor. They're generally compatible with Nvidia cards as well (check reviews online to verify for the specific model you buy). G-sync monitors are not that common, cost more, and of course only work with Nvidia cards. AMD didn't do it with RDNA2, but one day they may just finally topple Nvidia, and it would be nice to have the choice, rather than having to buy a new monitor.

Over here GSync and FSync monitors are the same price... But literally.

I found 1 monitor that is both GSync AND FSync, but its a 27" 1080p which im avoiding.

These are all my options;

ASUS TUF Gaming 23.8 IPS VG249Q1R (165hz) - $310

MSI 23.8 IPS Optix G241 (144) - $310

AOC LED C24G1 (144) - $270

ASUS TUF Gaming 23.8 IPS - VG249Q (144) - $270

ACER 24 IPS NITRO XF243YP (144) - $270

They all have display ports, and my GPU has 3x Display Port 1.4