Micro-Center Restricting GPU and Motherboard Sales per customer per 30 days policy (With ID required for purchasing)

SpikeSpiegel

IMG_20210328_154140060_HDR.jpg

When I was checking out today at Micro-Center I notice this sign and another sign which I didn't take photo of that the Micro-Center store in my area.  Are restricting GPU purchasers + motherboard purchasers from buying more than 1 per customer per 30 days.  Also you have to show them your driver's license or Government ID.  Such as a State ID, Military ID, and etc.  I'm guessing this policy is to prevent GPU scalpers and motherboard scalpers from buying more than 1 per month.  Which is good however the GPU shortage in that store is quite bad.  Not even a 1030 was in stock.  Nor a single good Radeon GPU was in stock as well.  They had tons of PSU's above 480 watts and tons of B550 motherboards.  However the GPU shelves were bare and nothing worth purchasing.  I'm not 100% sure if this a corporate policy or a store policy.  If anyone has any Micro-Center's besides my local one.  Please check for signs at the check out registers and motherboard shelves.  If this not just my local Micro-Center's store policy.  Their website doesn't even have much details if there's a limit or a policy on this. 

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

Good. 

The shelves are bare because people camp out and buy stuff as soon as they open. 

They come every day they know a shipment is due. Microcenter finally wised up and is doing something about it. 

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD 

14 minutes ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

motherboard scalpers

what? theres a shortage of motherboards?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

what? theres a shortage of motherboards?

From what I've seen at Micro-Center today there was a ton of B555 Motherboards.  Not sure why there's a restriction maybe it's for preventing scalpers from buying more than 1 motherboard.  I wasn't even sure there was a shortage.  If I was Micro-Center restrict the sales of GPUs/Motherboards/PSU's

Just now, CalintzJerevinan said:

Motherboards

This is a little eh.8 could definitely see someone needing to buy 2 mobos. Buy the wrong one, it’s broken, etc

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

This is a little eh.8 could definitely see someone needing to buy 2 mobos. Buy the wrong one, it’s broken, etc

https://community.microcenter.com/kb/articles/28-what-is-the-return-policy

https://www.microcenter.com/site/customer-support/coronavirus-response.aspx

https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/6356/limit-per-household-question

1 minute ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

So? You would have still bought one already. You would have to wait a month.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

So? You would have still bought one already. You would have to wait a month.

Looks like it....Unless you have a friend or someone else buy it for you.

Looks like they also added these to their list of restricted sales/limits

image.png

Cincinnati Microcenter has been restricting people for upwards of 90 days from buying multiple GPUs.  On the day I bought a 3080, I wasn't even allowed to buy a processor with it.  

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, Purgent said:

Cincinnati Microcenter has been restricting people for upwards of 90 days from buying multiple GPUs.  On the day I bought a 3080, I wasn't even allowed to buy a processor with it.  

Must be a store policy because mine is 1 GPU/1 Motherboard or CPU for 1 customer per 30 days.

23 hours ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

From what I've seen at Micro-Center today there was a ton of B555 Motherboards.  Not sure why there's a restriction maybe it's for preventing scalpers from buying more than 1 motherboard.  I wasn't even sure there was a shortage.  If I was Micro-Center restrict the sales of GPUs/Motherboards/PSU's

St.Davids, PA location has plenty of B550 motherboards and ASUS TUF boards, I don't see the reason for restrictions on motherboards though. I can confirm I have seen these signs for a while now, at least November, and October for the store located in Paterson, NJ. 

EDIT: At least two levels high of those foldable picnic tables with MSI motherboards, ASUS, including X570 motherboards, standing on their edges. 

Edited by SpiderMan
Added more info to post.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

St.Davids, PA location has plenty of B550 motherboards and ASUS TUF boards, I don't see the reason for restrictions on motherboards though. I can confirm I have seen these signs for a while now, at least November, and October for the store located in Paterson, NJ. 

I guess they don't want to sell more than 1 motherboard due to scalpers buying all the GPUs.  Plus miners needs Motherboards to start their mining process.  You can't just mine without a motherboard without PCIe slots.  So maybe Micro-Center is adding an extra layer of restrictions. 

Fuck that's smart. I wish Cabela's and other gun stores would do this for ammo.

3 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

St.Davids, PA

Ayyy Pennsylvania!

I guess they want to sell more than 1 motherboard due to scalpers buying all the GPUs.  Plus miners needs Motherboards to start their mining process.  You can't just mine without a motherboard without PCIe slots.  So maybe Micro-Center is adding an extra layer of restrictions. 

I know for sure CPU and GPU 1 per household for 30 days with government issued ID, although not motherboards IIRC. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, SpiderMan said:

I know for sure CPU and GPU 1 per household for 30 days with government issued ID, although not motherboards IIRC. 

Micro-Center is just playing it smart.  Keep miners and scalpers from buying up the PC parts before the gamers do.  Unless you want to build more than 1 PC.  Which makes sense if you're trying to build systems for a business or clients. 

5 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Ayyy Pennsylvania!

I was actually there last Wednesday on a trip with my father since I was on spring break in college, didn't go so well on the return home (car accident a mile away from home 😔. All parties were not injured, just a totaled car afterwards. Not trying to hijack the thread 🙂).

1 minute ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

Micro-Center is just playing it smart.  Keep miners and scalpers from buying up the PC parts before the gamers do.  Unless you want to build more than 1 PC.  Which makes sense if you're trying to build systems for a business or clients. 

That is all they can do, and they are doing a great job at it. Last I heard about them getting shipments as I overheard another customer and associated was Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (St.Davids location, unsure about Paterson as I haven't been up there since October for my 10980XE). 

3 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

I was actually there last Wednesday on a trip with my father since I was on spring break in college, didn't go so well on the return home (car accident a mile away from home 😔. All parties were not injured, just a totaled car afterwards. Not trying to hijack the thread 🙂).

That is all they can do, and they are doing a great job at it. Last I heard about them getting shipments as I overheard another customer and associated was Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (St.Davids location, unsure about Paterson as I haven't been up there since October for my 10980XE). 

Sadly my Micro-Center's GPU shelves were bare.  Nothing but low end and R9's/5450's a few other GPUs that nobody wants.

Sadly my Micro-Center's GPU shelves were bare.  Nothing but low end and R9's/5450's a few other GPUs that nobody wants.

That was pretty much St. Davids, was just black shelves with one low end GPU. They did have 5600Xs and 5800Xs, don't know what quantity but they seem to be pretty good on stock as I was there a couple weeks back and saw the same CPUs. 

I have returned!
The doors had the "no camping" sign.

The GPU shelf was completely empty - not even a GT card or similar.

Surprisingly, they had a decent amount of Ryzen CPUs. 2 5600X, 3 5800X, a 3900X, and a 3950X.

They also had 2 Threadripper Pros, and 1 ASUS wRX80 board.

There was no "1 GPU/CPU/Motherboard per person within 30 days" sign. 

elephants