Chassis fan on Asus ROG STRIX B450-I Gaming system goes to max RPM for no discernible reason (and stays until reboot) AIDA64 utility suspected

Digital Larry

Using a Ryzen 5 2600 on this board in a CoolerMaster SG13 case.  The CPU fan is a Noctua something PWM mode and behaves itself well.  I've set the fan profile up in BIOS using QFan control and am monitoring temps and fan RPMS using the AIDA64 Extreme utility.

I came back from going downtown while leaving the AIDA64 tool running and the chassis fan (set for DC mode) suddenly went from about 450 RPM (idle setting) to 1400 RPM.  I wasn't there when it happened but this correlates with nothing else at all.  The CPU fan did not change a blip.  There is no spike in CPU load, chipset temp, or anything else.  As the CPU fan appears more effective, and is less noisy, I have that one running a little faster at low temps and ramping up sooner.

Rebooting the PC makes it behave again, so it seems unlikely to be a wiring problem (e.g. losing the tach signal).  I'm just using the stock front fan in the case and am willing to replace that if it would be likely to help.  It seems more likely to be a BIOS issue but don't have a good way to be sure about it.  If need be I can put a scope on any of the signals, though that would be a hassle for sure.  I did note that the BIOS is not the latest, but the release notes on the newer BIOS doesn't say anything specific about this issue.

I have had this PC for about 18 months, and hadn't noticed this behavior before the past couple of days.  That said, I just moved it to behind the monitor from behind me and near the floor where I'd be a little less likely to notice it.

make sure all fans are set properly in bios and software. 3 pin fans are dc and 4 pin fans are pwm.

I'll double check that.

Update, I left the system to idle again and after a couple hours BOTH fans are at max RPM.  Note that the AIDA64 utility was running the whole time.

As a test, I let it idle overnight with the AIDA64 utility closed, checked it just now and both fans are at their minimum RPM.  Is it possible that the utility itself causes this problem?  I am just using the trial version at the moment, but there's no discussion on their forum about the trial version doing this.  I will log in over there to pursue it.

The other thing I noticed is that, when both fans were spinning at max, doing a CPU stress test, which usually makes the fans spin up AND makes the temperature go up, reported that CPU was at 100%, however the temps did not increase at all, which seems fishy.

Does anyone else use this tool?  It looks like it has a number of useful features, however if it actually makes the system it is monitoring do things it wouldn't normally do, its value is somewhat decreased!

Anyone have a fan monitoring tool to recommend that I might try instead?

Thx,

DL

1 hour ago, Digital Larry said:

I'll double check that.

Update, I left the system to idle again and after a couple hours BOTH fans are at max RPM.  Note that the AIDA64 utility was running the whole time.

As a test, I let it idle overnight with the AIDA64 utility closed, checked it just now and both fans are at their minimum RPM.  Is it possible that the utility itself causes this problem?  I am just using the trial version at the moment, but there's no discussion on their forum about the trial version doing this.  I will log in over there to pursue it.

The other thing I noticed is that, when both fans were spinning at max, doing a CPU stress test, which usually makes the fans spin up AND makes the temperature go up, reported that CPU was at 100%, however the temps did not increase at all, which seems fishy.

Does anyone else use this tool?  It looks like it has a number of useful features, however if it actually makes the system it is monitoring do things it wouldn't normally do, its value is somewhat decreased!

Anyone have a fan monitoring tool to recommend that I might try instead?

Thx,

DL

Asus motherboards have a feature that forces fans to 100% @ 75c. some motherboards allow for you to disable critical temp feature in bios, but most either require Armoury Crate or ai suite 3 to disable it

Nothing's getting anywhere near that warm as far as I can tell, especially not with the system idle.  I've left the AIDA64 utility off for the morning and fans are not going crazy.  I'll let it go all day.  If fans don't get stuck I'll assume it's the utility making this happen. 

Thanks,

DL

Well, I didn't run AIDA64 at all yesterday and my fans behaved themselves.  I installed the Asus Utility instead.  It's not quite as elaborate as the AIDA64 but it also doesn't make the fans go crazy.  I am not interested in overclocking but I do want my system to be quiet most of the time.  I will probably send the AIDA64 people a message because I would actually pay $40 for their utility if it behaved itself properly.

Anyone else using AIDA64 out there?

1 hour ago, Digital Larry said:

Well, I didn't run AIDA64 at all yesterday and my fans behaved themselves.  I installed the Asus Utility instead.  It's not quite as elaborate as the AIDA64 but it also doesn't make the fans go crazy.  I am not interested in overclocking but I do want my system to be quiet most of the time.  I will probably send the AIDA64 people a message because I would actually pay $40 for their utility if it behaved itself properly.

Anyone else using AIDA64 out there?

best utilities for AMD cpus

for monitoring - hwinfo64

for adjusting fan curves and oc- bios

for benchmarking - cinebench r20 or r15/ prime 95

I've seen people use aida64 for when putting custom monitoring displays inside there systems.