[UPDATED] "'Minecraft' creator cancels Oculus Rift version following Facebook acquisition"

TopWargamer

i'm crying.. i died a little inside.. come hither google show me more kittens to fill this wound facebook TY&*)#@!T*EP@WGVY^)!V CF^&EF@!~ VGCE^_*)R@!~BF+{(E*! i cannot express myself...

You're still able to play minecraft with the Rift mods. Or you could wait until they release the PS4 VR devices and minecraft gets released on PS4.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

i will cry now. huaehuahehuehueahuhaehuaehahauheehuheuheauhhaeuheuhauehaeaehuheaeuhuaheuaheehehaueh :,(

They should have known this would happen. They know the enthusiast community is touchy when it comes to this stuff!

At what point did they think it was a good idea?!?!

I said this before and i'll say it again. Why would you let a company that is projected to not exist in 3 years acquire you? Especially a company that has a long history of necro-ing start up companies...

Just to add something (don't worry this time I agree with you no if, then or but) You can multiply the touchy feelings (pun intended) by 100 when we're talking about contributing money to Kickstarter: You basically just donated money to one of the richest, most careless companies out there: technically legal but morally is like investing in something only to find out it was a pyramid scheme.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just to add something (don't worry this time I agree with you no if, then or but) You can multiply the touchy feelings (pun intended) by 100 when we're talking about contributing money to Kickstarter: You basically just donated money to one of the richest, most careless companies out there: technically legal but morally is like investing in something only to find out it was a pyramid scheme.

I kinda disagree here. 

We gave them the money to make the product, yes. However, they only got as far as they did with the money they got. Which lead to them being purchased by Facebook. Without our money, VR might not be as big as it is now. 

We paid for the needed push to get VR into the spot light. I think that's more than worth it, even with this outcome.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I kinda disagree here. 

We gave them the money to make the product, yes. However, they only got as far as they did with the money they got. Which lead to them being purchased by Facebook. Without our money, VR might not be as big as it is now. 

We paid for the needed push to get VR into the spot light. I think that's more than worth it, even with this outcome.

Exactly, that money is for the company as it is now, with its 50K DK1s out there, its amazing team members that work there, DK2 incoming, lots of software being developed for it.

Without the kickstarter it was a duct-taped prototype for Palmer's garage and Carmack saying he liked it. The kickstarter got it noticed, and got it to a position it could be bought.

If there had been no kickstarter then it would not have got into the light, nor would it have gotten bought by Fbook.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Seriously grow up! if you say why? your name is NoireMk2

I'm Noire which is the name of a popular character from the hyper dimension series and I tacked on a mk2 which means mark 2. I see nothing wrong with that. :D

I'm Noire which is the name of a popular character from the hyper dimension series and I tacked on a mk2 which means mark 2. I see nothing wrong with that. :D

Meh, he's just being judgmental. If it seem childish to him and he dislikes it he'll believe it's childish. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Didn't they see what happened to WhatsApp? Is that what they want? All of their hardcore fans leaving, because they want some money?

Come on Oculus, I used to love you. I looked at Sony's prototype thinking "Boy are they far behind". I just hope Valve has something to release too now.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

I wasn't saying it was a bad name or anything, i was just saying 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I wasn't saying it was a bad name or anything, i was just saying 

Well your saying is incorrect. 

I kinda disagree here. 

No, you paid for the promise of a gaming product, the fact that their project was unrealistic and couldn't be realized on the contributions they gathered can either be considered either too optimistic and short sighted or maliciously devious in their intentions, like most Kickstarter projects, was just to get free publicity and do whatever the fuck they want up to and including just disregarding all promises and run off with the money. This is pretty damn close to that as well (unsurprisingly, there's been more than a few busts on Kickstarters, people dropping off, not delivering jack shit on time, people running out of money due to their stupid unrealistic dreams, etc.) by basically turning around and sending a clear message to their backers: "Fuck off geeks, Facebook just gave us a payday so they can turn this into an advertisement channel no more, no less. Bitch and moan all you want we're rich, thanks for the investment suckers!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

No, you paid for the promise of a gaming product, the fact that their project was unrealistic and couldn't be realized on the contributions they gathered can either be considered either too optimistic and short sighted or maliciously devious in their intentions, like most Kickstarter projects, was just to get free publicity and do whatever the fuck they want up to and including just disregarding all promises and run off with the money. This is pretty damn close to that as well (unsurprisingly, there's been more than a few busts on Kickstarters, people dropping off, not delivering jack shit on time, people running out of money due to their stupid unrealistic dreams, etc.) by basically turning around and sending a clear message to their backers: "Fuck off geeks, Facebook just gave us a payday so they can turn this into an advertisement channel no more, no less. Bitch and moan all you want we're rich, thanks for the investment suckers!"

Uh... no. 

I paid for them to continue working on their product with the hope of a final realization of that product at a much later date

The Facebook buy makes that much later date very much closer to reality at the cost of it being Facebook. The key here is timing. Odds are, we will get a much more polished product a lot sooner this way.... with ads galore in it. 

Does that suck? Obviously. Is it a worth while trade off? Probably not. Am I still going to buy one when they come out? Maybe. Depends on the level of Facebookery going on.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Uh... no. 

I paid for them to continue working on their product with the hope of a final realization of that product at a much later date

The Facebook buy makes that much later date very much closer to reality at the cost of it being Facebook. The key here is timing. Odds are, we will get a much more polished product a lot sooner this way.... with ads galore in it. 

Does that suck? Obviously. Is it a worth while trade off? Probably not. Am I still going to buy one when they come out? Maybe. Depends on the level of Facebookery going on.

Extra emphasis on that part since it was never planned, discussed and seeing how much negotiation takes it was likely actively concealed. I get it, nobody likes admitting they were taken for a ride but you were, you all were. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Seriously, fuck off EVERYONE with Facebook, you already have SO much money, let these guys (creators of the Oculus Rift) have their time and be the only ones to receive recognition for their outstanding creation...no collabing with "high profit" companies, especially Facebook, which is just a social media website, its hilarious...they know that the Oculus Rift is going to be huge, so their dicks instantly get wet thinking about that...I find it funny how the rich will just KEEP pushing for more money EVEN THOUGH THE MONEY THEY HAVE ALONE IS ENOUGH TO FEED THEM AND THEIR FUTURE KIDS' KIDS FOR THE NEXT 1093282183219 YEARS, fkin losers man...scummy, the greed and hurt is REAL.

Seriously, fuck off EVERYONE with Facebook, you already have SO much money, let these guys (creators of the Oculus Rift) have their time and be the only ones to receive recognition for their outstanding creation...no collabing with "high profit" companies, especially Facebook, which is just a social media website, its hilarious...they know that the Oculus Rift is going to be huge, so their dicks instantly get wet thinking about that...I find it funny how the rich will just KEEP pushing for more money EVEN THOUGH THE MONEY THEY HAVE ALONE IS ENOUGH TO FEED THEM AND THEIR FUTURE KIDS' KIDS FOR THE NEXT 1093282183219 YEARS, fkin losers man...scummy, the greed and hurt is REAL.

Facebook should consider buying razer then aswell..

Extra emphasis on that part since it was never planned, discussed and seeing how much negotiation takes it was likely actively concealed. I get it, nobody likes admitting they were taken for a ride but you were, you all were.

Lol. 

I never gave Oculus money. I was waiting for the final product. I said "we" because I'm talking about the PC enthusiast community (because, odds are, we are the ones who put the most money forward). I'm a part of that, so "we". 

Sorry, misrepresentation to an extent.

Facebook should consider buying razer then aswell..

We could ask their CEO about that. He is active on Facebook (THE IRONY). I've seen him respond to fans a lot, he's like Linus (in activity/community involvement), but for the gaming peripheral industry. 

Huh. I might do that.

† Christian Member †

Sort of update.

Interesting view from a few Slashdot comments on the sale which I somewhat agree with:

This is why we can't have nice things.

My immediate reaction to seeing Facebook was buying it was "well, there goes some promising technology". Instead, it will be used to check in with your friends on Facebook and to ensure they're monetizing everything you can do with it.

Huh, that was exactly my reaction too. Odd how I read that IBM/MIcrosoft/Facebook/Oracle bought another tech company the first reaction I get is exactly this.

Interestingly when I hear that Google bought a company I don't get this reaction (yet).

Also where is Carmack? If he is still with Oculus then there might be some hope. But if they sold out without his vote, well there is something very wrong. John Carmack has being know to be someone uncompromising when it comes to tech.

John Carmack has being know to be someone uncompromising when it comes to tech.

That, he may well be.

But depending on just how many zeroes are at the end of anything he'd get ... he may well have just said "oh, fuck it, for that much money I'm in".

And, as has already been pointed out, if it's the difference between making a huge stack and living with the 'golden handcuffs', or getting nothing ... a lot of people might do the exact same thing.

Start getting into 8 figures, and I might blow Ballmer in the MS boardroom. Make it 9 figures, and we can bloody well livestream it and I'll throw in Gates. ;-)

You can buy back a lot of self respect (and mouthwash) for that kinda money.

My immediate reaction to seeing Facebook was buying it was "well, there goes some promising technology".

Everyone still loves the VR idea though. I think Notch and all the others will just be looking for the runner up product. Which all the Me-To folks are working on. Sony and Xbox are already on that train, I understand. Hopefully there will be someone to sell me one without a walled garden that they're trying to push.

How much IP is there around the oculus? I understood the rift to be mostly an implementation of better / newer technology, not so much new invention, but I could be off. How hard will it be for others to pick up the baton?

To hell with that. I strongly suspect that's what's at play here.

† Christian Member †

that is awesome.

FB needs to end! I mean seriously everyone what are you using FB for be honest? Dicking around and stalking girls that's it. But hey at least now you can do that in 3D!

Way to generalize.

Facebook has good uses: namely, reconnecting with friends and family all over the world.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I just want facebook to stay the hell away

Didn't they see what happened to WhatsApp? Is that what they want? All of their hardcore fans leaving, because they want some money?

Come on Oculus, I used to love you. I looked at Sony's prototype thinking "Boy are they far behind". I just hope Valve has something to release too now.

Valve is probably working on something much better than the OR and when the time comes they'll be like:

We'd like you to meet the Virtuvalve Reality Gaming Headset!

(I hope that really happens)

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

I just want facebook to stay the hell away

As long as they don't mess up the gaming experience I don't really care what they do with it. With the amounts of funding they can supply it will probably be better and cheaper for the consumers.

Way to generalize.

Facebook has good uses: namely, reconnecting with friends and family all over the world.

That's what they want you to think and how the caught me too.

No9man.png