can you take off a lens while the camera is on?

Go to solution Solved by _Dawnte_,

Short Answer: yes you can lol

The title basically explains it (I have a eos m50)

2 minutes ago, _Dawnte_ said:

Short Answer: yes you can lol

I wanted to set it in  high speed continous to see the shuttter im happy I can 😆

In most camera yes you can do it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

I wanted to set it in  high speed continous to see the shuttter im happy I can 😆

It's really fun to look at LOL however, just be careful because dust can get to your mirror and maybe even your sensor, and those are the 2 more important things you dont want to get dust on~ 1. because it's extremely hard to clean and 2. having someone else clean it for you is very expensive 

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

In most camera yes you can do it.

hold on it says manual focus when i go to take a photo without a lens welp my dream of seeing the shutter moving is dead

1 minute ago, _Dawnte_ said:

It's really fun to look at LOL however, just be careful because dust can get to your mirror and maybe even your sensor, and those are the 2 more important things you dont want to get dust on~ 1. because it's extremely hard to clean and 2. having someone else clean it for you is very expensive 

nah Ill just take 5 photos thats it

Just now, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

nah Ill just take 5 photos thats it

and ofc I know that I wont want to get dust in the sensor

1 minute ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

hold on it says manual focus when i go to take a photo without a lens welp my dream of seeing the shutter moving is dead

you should still be able to take a picture with it. It enables manual focus because there is no lens connected. Mine still snaps~ Although we got different cameras after all~

you should still be able to take a picture with it. It enables manual focus because there is no lens connected. Mine still snaps~ Although we got different cameras after all~

hold on

hold on

What camera do you have?

What camera do you have?

I got a Nikon D7000

I got a Nikon D7000

I got a mirroless so its different and thats a old camera with less sensors I guess

I got a mirroless so its different and thats a old camera with less sensors I guess

also I say the video from the slo mo guys which inspired me lol 

also I say the video from the slo mo guys which inspired me lol 

Great video! Sadly I dont know much about mirrorless camera settings...appologies! 

Great video! Sadly I dont know much about mirrorless camera settings...appologies! 

its fine

On 3/19/2021 at 10:07 PM, _Dawnte_ said:

Mirrorless cameras simply omit the mirror. The mechanical shutter is present, though the sequence of actuation is altered somewhat owing to the sensor being required to be exposed to see anything. It shouldn’t behave any different than if you’re shooting a DSLR with the mirror locked. 

On 3/19/2021 at 9:55 PM, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

Tbh, it’s probably for the best. The shutter and sensor are quite vulnerable when exposed. Any foreign debris in the shutter mechanism when actuated is liable to cause (expensive) damage. With the naked eye, you’re not missing much anyway. 

It may be possible to enable shooting the camera without a lens attached, (my Sony has this in options), though it’s really only applicable to users of vintage lenses or lenses that lack compatible electronics at all. Having the option enabled I feel is an unnecessary risk unless you have a specific reason. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Mirrorless cameras simply omit the mirror. The mechanical shutter is present, though the sequence of actuation is altered somewhat owing to the sensor being required to be exposed to see anything. It shouldn’t behave any different than if you’re shooting a DSLR with the mirror locked. 

Tbh, it’s probably for the best. The shutter and sensor are quite vulnerable when exposed. Any foreign debris in the shutter mechanism when actuated is liable to cause (expensive) damage. With the naked eye, you’re not missing much anyway. 

true

In the custom function settings menu, you can turn on shooting with no lens. (at least on the canons that I have)