5600X wont boot out of BIOS with UEFI, with CSM no info available

zilke

I made a upgrade from Ryzen 2600 to 5600X, and after installing my 5600X I cant get into my windows while in UEFI mode it always brings me back to BIOS if I run with UEFI, I need to change it to CSM to get into my windows.

BIOS for 5000 series was installed while already running on 2600

My SSD drive with windows is MBR

Issue: I want to see my CPU Temperature but I cant see it with any program, UEFI is more secure and I want to run it in UEFI

specs:

b450 tomahawk

1080 ti msi 11gb

32gb 3000 mhz ram

ssd 250gb samsung evo 860

Have you tried clearing CMOS after swapping the processors???

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Do you have a spare pc still? Try making a usb installer from windows. Your installer may not have the required uefi drivers so it won’t boot properly.

Did you have Windows 7 installed with this originally?
It sounds like you have an MBR install, like me - I need CSM enabled for both Windows and to use my GPUs.

elephants

10 minutes ago, zilke said:

I made a upgrade from Ryzen 2600 to 5600X, and after installing my 5600X I cant get into my windows while in UEFI mode it always brings me back to BIOS if I run with UEFI, I need to change it to CSM to get into my windows.

Issue: I want to see my CPU Temperature but I cant see it with any program, UEFI is more secure and I want to run it in UEFI

specs:

b450 tomahawk

1080 ti msi 11gb

32gb 3000 mhz ram

You will need to convert the MBR installation into a GPT one. Windows includes a utility to do this on the installer called mbr2gpt...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

Standard "severe risk of data loss" warning applies.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Did you have Windows 7 installed with this originally?
It sounds like you have an MBR install, like me - I need CSM enabled for both Windows and to use my GPUs.

I did not have win 7 installed, I was running on a fresh Win 10, while on a fresh SSD

7 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Have you tried clearing CMOS after swapping the processors???

Yep, multiple times with different settings

Just now, zilke said:

I did not have win 7 installed, I was running on a fresh Win 10, while on a fresh SSD

Can you check to see if Windows is installed as MBR or GPT?

To check:

1. Type diskmgmt.msc into the Windows search bar

2. Open the program that shows up

3. Once the disks load, select your Windows drive

4. Right-click it and select Properties
5. Click on Volumes

6. It will say MBR or GPT.

elephants

Just now, zilke said:

Oh excellent !
Will this conversion uninstall all my files from my SDD or ?

No, its an in place conversion however I've never personally done it myself so I strongly recommend you read the documentation through a few times before trying and back any important files up.

Obviously if something goes wrong you stand to lose everything.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 minutes ago, Chrismike said:

Do you have a spare pc still? Try making a usb installer from windows. Your installer may not have the required uefi drivers so it won’t boot properly.

The required UEFI drivers for 5600X right ? Because my previous 2600 worked perfectly on the same system

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Can you check to see if Windows is installed as MBR or GPT?

To check:

1. Type diskmgmt.msc into the Windows search bar

2. Open the program that shows up

3. Once the disks load, select your Windows drive

4. Right-click it and select Properties
5. Click on Volumes

6. It will say MBR or GPT.

My drive is MBR, I specified it in my post hahah

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

No, its an in place conversion however I've never personally done it myself so I strongly recommend you read the documentation through a few times before trying and back any important files up.

Will get more research about it !

1 minute ago, zilke said:

The required UEFI drivers for 5600X right ? Because my previous 2600 worked perfectly on the same system

Oh my bad sorry. I thought you were doing a fresh install as well. Disregard my post. Hmmmm mbr.... shouldn’t be an issue especially if you were able to run it before. are you sure you were able to set things up properly in your first inctall with your first cpu? I mean it sounds like you don’t have a specified boot drive. Meaning, I don’t think you had a partition for the uefi to begin with. Maybe you were on bios all along. Not to offend or anything, but maybe you were on legacy all along. Otherwise, if you have a spare pc, make a bootable usb and repair/diagnose from there

19 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I’d suggest to get your computer running first before you do it manually in the command prompt(assuming you’d go into command prompt via a bootable device)

39 minutes ago, zilke said:

specs:

b450 tomahawk

1080 ti msi 11gb

32gb 3000 mhz ram

Anyway boot into windows first check your bios mode. And start from there. Make a bootable usb as well since you’re there already. Try again but this time try to disable secure boot as well.

6 minutes ago, Chrismike said:

Anyway boot into windows first check your bios mode. And start from there. Make a bootable usb as well since you’re there already. Try again but this time try to disable secure boot as well.

Won't work due to the totally different way MBR & GPT handle bootloaders. MBR has a 512k reserved block at the beginning of the drive, GPT has a FAT32 partition at the beginning of the drive.

Part of the conversion process is creating this FAT32 partition, installing the UEFI bootloader into it and creating the BCD store. Without these things on the drive, an MBR drive will never boot on a system with CSM disabled.

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Won't work due to the totally different way MBR & GPT handle bootloaders. MBR has a 512k reserved block at the beginning of the drive, GPT has a FAT32 partition at the beginning of the drive.

Part of the conversion process is creating this FAT32 partition, installing the UEFI bootloader into it and creating the BCD store. Without these things on the drive, an MBR drive will never boot on a system with CSM disabled.

Agree 🙂 i meant enable it first and go into windows and check his system first