RX 570 idle temp increased by 20 °C with two monitor, is this normal?

fakhri2k
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,
5 hours ago, fakhri2k said:

If I may ask, so the card is fine running for extended amount of time while the memory clock stays at max speed? Because I mainly use this computer for my university work for about 14 hours a day doing light work such as google docs, online classes or browsing using both monitor. 

Yes, it's fine. 

It's a card designed for gaming, where both gpu and memory runs at near 100% for hours at a time.

The only reason they reduce the frequencies is to save power and make less heat, it's not needed for the memory chips to have a long life. The chips don't degrade in any significant amount, the card would still last you 10 years+ as it is running now. 

I just bought my first 144hz @1080p ASUS monitor. I use this new monitor as my main monitor and my HP monitor (75Hz @1080P) for my second. Both plugged in with a display port.

My usual GPU idle temp with the ASUS is around 40 - 44°C and 38 - 40 °C with my HP monitor. With both of my monitor plugged in, the idle temp skyrocketed to 56°C - 58°C in average.

Is this normal? Is it safe because I usually run my PC for about 14 hours a day for my University work and stuff. When gaming, I always turn off my second monitor because of the high temp.

Check clocks. With multiple displays you'll have higher idle clocks.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Some cards will idle at higher clocks by default when two monitors are plugged in so this is probably normal.

1 minute ago, DoctorNick said:

Check clocks. With multiple displays you'll have higher idle clocks.

I just check it with GPU-Z, GPU clock is at 300Mhz and memory clock at 1750Mhz.

Just now, fakhri2k said:

I just check it with GPU-Z, GPU clock is at 300Mhz and memory clock at 1750Mhz.

And what about with one display?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

3 minutes ago, henmen said:

Some cards will idle at higher clocks by default when two monitors are plugged in so this is probably normal.

is it safe running with these temps for that amount of time? will it damage the card in anyway? at this temp, the fan is not running

Just now, DoctorNick said:

And what about with one display?

Oh I didn't realized that one display, the memory clock is only 300Mhz, but why would it run at max speed with second monitor plugged in? Is there anyway to fix this or is that just the way it is?

It's probably just the way it is. 

maybe try running the monitor at 60 hz instead of 144 hz and see if that lowers the frequency.

Could be memory chips needs to run faster than 300 mhz in order to read 144 frames per second from ram and send it to displayport

Temperature wise, the card can run at 80c 24/7 for months and even years without any problems. RX 570 and 580 cards have their bioses / firmware configured to reduce fan speeds as soon as the temperature drop below 60-65c in order to make the cards more silent, and because there's no extra benefit to have the cards cooler.

in your case, the only downside is that your video card probably consumes a few more watts when idle, which means you'll pay maybe 20-50 cents more each month on your power bill. 

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It's probably just the way it is. 

maybe try running the monitor at 60 hz instead of 144 hz and see if that lowers the frequency.

Could be memory chips needs to run faster than 300 mhz in order to read 144 frames per second from ram and send it to displayport

Temperature wise, the card can run at 80c 24/7 for months and even years without any problems. RX 570 and 580 cards have their bioses / firmware configured to reduce fan speeds as soon as the temperature drop below 60-65c in order to make the cards more silent, and because there's no extra benefit to have the cards cooler.

in your case, the only downside is that your video card probably consumes a few more watts when idle, which means you'll pay maybe 20-50 cents more each month on your power bill. 

Thank you for the detailed reply, I just tried to run both monitor at 60Hz and the GPU memory clock still runs on max speed. With only 1 monitor running (the 144hz or the 75hz) the memory clock is idle which is 300Mhz. I don't know why the GPU be on an idle state with two monitor running. But if you says that it is completely safe the card running with that kind of temps and with the GPU memory clock at max speed, I guess its fine. But it would be nice if there is a fix to this problem.

3 hours ago, fakhri2k said:

My usual GPU idle temp with the ASUS is around 40 - 44°C and 38 - 40 °C with my HP monitor. With both of my monitor plugged in, the idle temp skyrocketed to 56°C - 58°C in average.

When gaming, I always turn off my second monitor because of the high temp.

GPU mem clock is at max when using two or more monitor since like 10 or more years. I set my gpu fan speed at 1000rpm to keep temps at 40C, because with default fan curve(fans off in 'idle') it would turn the fans on and off constantly.

Never needed to turn them off while gaming.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

9 hours ago, Ralf said:

GPU mem clock is at max when using two or more monitor since like 10 or more years. I set my gpu fan speed at 1000rpm to keep temps at 40C, because with default fan curve(fans off in 'idle') it would turn the fans on and off constantly.

Okay thank you so much for the suggestions, I just edit my fan curve settings and now it stays on 42 °C, the only problem now is the power consumption. While doing light work such as google docs, browsing, or being in online class, the average power draw from the GPU is around 21W.

9 hours ago, Ralf said:

If I may ask, so the card is fine running for extended amount of time while the memory clock stays at max speed? Because I mainly use this computer for my university work for about 14 hours a day doing light work such as google docs, online classes or browsing using both monitor. 

5 hours ago, fakhri2k said:

Yes, it's fine. 

It's a card designed for gaming, where both gpu and memory runs at near 100% for hours at a time.

The only reason they reduce the frequencies is to save power and make less heat, it's not needed for the memory chips to have a long life. The chips don't degrade in any significant amount, the card would still last you 10 years+ as it is running now. 

Thank you for all the helps and replies, cheers!