Looking for x86 Raspberry Pi equivalent

TubsAlwaysWins

Anyone got any good suggestions for a raspberry pi equivalent that runs x86/x64 instead of ARM. Hoping to make something for changing tunes and viewing live ECU data from my car using a Tactrix cable.  

Hoping to make something vaguely similar to a Cobb Accessport but for Open source (Using EcuFlash and RomRaider).

In my head i want something I can put a display hat on (Maybe similar to This one) so I can just have it on a phone mount with power and data going into it.

I dont care what power supply it runs on as long as I can run it from regular 12v DC without an DC>AC inverter, needs at least 2 USB and wifi is a plus but not necessary. 

I do not believe either piece of software will run natively on ARM and I would like to make it as hassle free as I can, hence x86. For those wondering why I cannot use an Accessport, they do not make one that supports my ECU (2005 Subaru WRX (Which is supported) with a JDM EJ207v7 swap (which is not supported)) and I can only tune with open source. 

Anyone have any thoughts? I know the openflash tablet exists, but again does not support my vehicle. If I get it working im hoping to release whatever steps/parts I used to come up with for other people who would like the same functionality. 

Thanks guys

Breaking things 1 day at a time

The LattePanda

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

If you want an x86 board just so that your can run x86 software, you might want to look into running Windows 10 on the Raspberry (not Windows IOT but Windows 10 on a Pi) which is now a thing.  For more information, here's a link: https://www.worproject.ml/

7 hours ago, RobLatour said:

If you want an x86 board just so that your can run x86 software, you might want to look into running Windows 10 on the Raspberry (not Windows IOT but Windows 10 on a Pi) which is now a thing.  For more information, here's a link: https://www.worproject.ml/

Intresting. So is this through the x86 emulator that windows for ARM has? Haven't looked at it a ton yet, but I'm assuming that's how it works? 

Breaking things 1 day at a time

On 3/17/2021 at 8:11 PM, RobLatour said:

On 3/18/2021 at 3:19 AM, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Intresting. So is this through the x86 emulator that windows for ARM has? Haven't looked at it a ton yet, but I'm assuming that's how it works? 

Nope!

Just because it's Windows 10, doesn't mean it supports x86... the fact that you have to install from an Win10 for ARM image is a clue!

You can't magically change the instruction set of a computer using software. Except for emulation that is, and Windows' x86 emulation on ARM is notoriously not great.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

On 3/19/2021 at 1:57 PM, pythonmegapixel said:

Nope!

Just because it's Windows 10, doesn't mean it supports x86... the fact that you have to install from an Win10 for ARM image is a clue!

You can't magically change the instruction set of a computer using software.

Windows on ARM has a crappy x86 emulator built in. Not sure if it supports 64-bit applications, but it did support most 32-bit ones (and was slow as hell).

Except for emulation that is, and Windows' x86 emulation on ARM is notoriously not great.

That's exactly what the OP mentioned.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga