Replace my Corsair RM850x

Serialsk

Hi,

I must RMA my Corsair RM850x because the fan is very loud in load.

I sent a video to Corsair technical support and he told me to make a RMA. I'm very disappointed about Corsair's PSU. It's the second time where I have a problem with her.

I can get a refund.

So, I want to get a new PSU (silent) and I'm interesting for a Seasonic. Can you confirm it's a good choice ?

If yes, I don't know between Prime GX-850 or Prime PX-850. Is it worth it to put more money for the PX (platinum) with my build ? Or others PSUs if there is better choice ?

Build :

i7 10700k

ASUS Z490-E Gaming

MSI RTX 3080 

Thanks 🙂

2 minutes ago, Serialsk said:

It's the second time where I have a problem with her.

is it the same unit or replaced with 2nd unit?

i own a RM850x and a RM850 (newer version)

both are fine under ~650W load, the rest of my system is significantly louder

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

is it the same unit or replaced with 2nd unit?

i own a RM850x and a RM850 (newer version)

both are fine under ~650W load, the rest of my system is significantly louder

No, it wasn't for the same build but it was always about the fan.

9 minutes ago, Serialsk said:

If yes, I don't know between Prime GX-850 or Prime PX-850. Is it worth it to put more money for the PX (platinum) with my build ?

according to this list:

the PX series might have issues with high transient load, which the 3080 is guilty of

have to wait for people more versed in PSU to give further comments.

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

according to this list:

the PX series might have issues with high transient load, which the 3080 is guilty of

have to wait for people more versed in PSU to give further comments.

I notice this but are you sure it's not Focus series instead ?

Seasonic | Focus GX / GM / PX [1] / SGX - Prime Gold / Platinum / Titanium / Fanless PX / Fanless TX / Snow Silent (Gold / Platinum / Titanium) / Airtouch - Connect

5 minutes ago, Serialsk said:

I notice this but are you sure it's not Focus series instead ?

Seasonic | Focus GX / GM / PX [1] / SGX - Prime Gold / Platinum / Titanium / Fanless PX / Fanless TX / Snow Silent (Gold / Platinum / Titanium) / Airtouch - Connect

ah good catch, yours is prime x-x

will have to wait for others to give you the details on what's the diff, but both are solid units according to the list

Both can still go trip trip...Thanks Seasonic....

You probably want to go Focus GX or if you can confirm Focus PX (new version..See Kitguru's review on it for details) that's fine too. However, I don't know why you want to lock into smaller company with less precision over the parts they use... 

Some CWT GPU or GPU, Super Flower Leadex 3 Gold (Same size OEM, yet better than Focus) all fit the bill depending on where you're from...Do you have a local website link you're using to look at the units or is this some local used ordeal?

5 hours ago, Serialsk said:

Hi,

I sent a video to Corsair technical support and he told me to make a RMA. I'm very disappointed about Corsair's PSU. It's the second time where I have a problem with her.

I can get a refund.

So, I want to get a new PSU (silent) and I'm interesting for a Seasonic. Can you confirm it's a good choice ?

If yes, I don't know between Prime GX-850 or Prime PX-850. Is it worth it to put more money for the PX (platinum) with my build ? Or others PSUs if there is better choice ?

Build :

i7 10700k

ASUS Z490-E Gaming

MSI RTX 3080 

Thanks 🙂

What is the entire build?  What case?  How is the PSU cooled (pulling cool air in from the outside?)   Do you have a bunch of RGB lighting?

It is VERY unusual for someone to complain about an RM850x being loud.

Where are you located?

And who is giving you a refund?  Corsair?  So you bought the PSU directly from Corsair?

5 hours ago, Serialsk said:

Hi,

Wait... In another thread you said it was coil whine.

Do you have coil whine or is the fan loud?

8 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

What is the entire build?  What case?  How is the PSU cooled (pulling cool air in from the outside?)   Do you have a bunch of RGB lighting?

It is VERY unusual for someone to complain about an RM850x being loud.

Where are you located?

And who is giving you a refund?  Corsair?  So you bought the PSU directly from Corsair?

Case : Meshify 2

Memory : Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8Go 3600Mhz

Fan of the PSU is upside down.

No RGB Lighting except motherboard, GPU and memory.

I'm from France and I bought PSU on Amazon.

I never said it was coil whine. I know the typical noise of coil whine. We listen coil whine noise in the video and Corsair listen too. But the other sound looks like crackle... 

I think it's from the fan because we listen easyli in load and when I come back in idle, it disappears because the fan switch off.

Sorry for my bad english 😝

EDIT : All Seasonic are out of stock, and there's lot of cons who said that the fan is noisy. Maybe get a new Corsair but Platinium or Titanium ? 

Is it important about quietness ? (More power and more efficiency, even if 850W will be ok).

11 hours ago, Serialsk said:

Case : Meshify 2

Memory : Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8Go 3600Mhz

Fan of the PSU is upside down.

No RGB Lighting except motherboard, GPU and memory.

I'm from France and I bought PSU on Amazon.

I never said it was coil whine. I know the typical noise of coil whine. We listen coil whine noise in the video and Corsair listen too. But the other sound looks like crackle... 

I think it's from the fan because we listen easyli in load and when I come back in idle, it disappears because the fan switch off.

Sorry for my bad english 😝

EDIT : All Seasonic are out of stock, and there's lot of cons who said that the fan is noisy. Maybe get a new Corsair but Platinium or Titanium ? 

Is it important about quietness ? (More power and more efficiency, even if 850W will be ok).

So when you say you can get a refund, you meant a refund from Amazon.fr.

You said it was "like" coil whine in your other thread.  You said it sounded like the noise an HDD makes when the activity LED is flickering.  That's not a fan noise.

And yes.  Seasonic fans are noisier.  And no, a Corsair Platinum or Titanium is not going to have a quieter fan because it's the same fan that's in your RMx (other than the bearing).

Did you build the PC yourself?  If so, can you actually get in there, pull the PSU out, fire up the PC and put your ear up against it to see exactly what the noise is and where it is coming from because you are literally one person saying that the PSU fan is loud out of a couple of million customers.

22 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

So when you say you can get a refund, you meant a refund from Amazon.fr.

You said it was "like" coil whine in your other thread.  You said it sounded like the noise an HDD makes when the activity LED is flickering.  That's not a fan noise.

And yes.  Seasonic fans are noisier.  And no, a Corsair Platinum or Titanium is not going to have a quieter fan because it's the same fan that's in your RMx (other than the bearing).

Did you build the PC yourself?  If so, can you actually get in there, pull the PSU out, fire up the PC and put your ear up against it to see exactly what the noise is and where it is coming from because you are literally one person saying that the PSU fan is loud out of a couple of million customers.

I have already sent the feed back because I had to do it quickly.

Now, I don't know where to go. I do not doubt the quality of Corsair, I hesitate between the Seasonic PX 850 or Corsair HX850 or Corsair AX850 (HX and AX changes a lot between RMx ?).

The price is not the same, Seasonic PX and Corsair AX is expensive and as you said, Seasonic fans are noisy.

31 minutes ago, Serialsk said:

I have already sent the feed back because I had to do it quickly.

I don't know what this means.

25 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I don't know what this means.

I have already send it back my PSU at Amazon.

I've found the exactly noise that I had in a video :

It was exactly the same and only during my gaming sessions. Does this sound familiar?

15 minutes ago, Serialsk said:

I have already send it back my PSU at Amazon.

I've found the exactly noise that I had in a video :

It was exactly the same and only during my gaming sessions. Does this sound familiar?

That's not the fan. 

Lots of PSUs do this when paired with a 3080 or 3090.

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

That's not the fan. 

Lots of PSUs do this when paired with a 3080 or 3090.

Yes, I have a RTX 3080.

So there's no solution ?

32 minutes ago, Serialsk said:

Yes, I have a RTX 3080.

So there's no solution ?

It's the frequent and often transient spikes making the magnetics inside the PSU "jump".  There's only one PSU that I know is 100% not going to make that noise and that's the AX1600i but that is serious overkill and surely the noise doesn't bother you that much.... does it?  I mean, the noise should be in game only.  Do you really only play games in a silent room?  You don't have the volume up or headphones on so you can hear people sneaking up on you, shots being fired in the distance, or a car driving by?

Think of the magnetics (the copper wire) in your PSU as violin strings.  The violin body is the bobbin.

Take a bow and gently bounce the bow hairs on the strings (assuming this isn't an electric violin and there are no pick-ups).  The bow is acting as a low or static load.  You might hear a faint click click click, but it's almost inaudible.

Now take the bow and play sul tasto, producing a consistent tone.  That's your typical graphics card load.  Something like from a Radeon 5800 XT.

Now take your bow and thrash the violin at random angles making a harsh banging noise.  That's your PSU's magnetics getting beaten up by an Ampere card.

The frequency of these noises can vary from one PSU to another.  There are a lot of variables.  Bobbin material and copper gauge are the biggest variables.  Copper gauge can impact efficiency, but also capacitance.  So if trying to meet certain efficiency requirements, while also trying to maintain dynamic load requirements, sometimes the side effect is audible noise.

I have no speakers but not for much longer, so that's a silent room 😄

On 3/13/2021 at 8:19 PM, jonnyGURU said:

because you are literally one person saying that the PSU fan is loud out of a couple of million customers.

Umm, everything above 900rpm is *very* loud,  and it's a deep, bassy sound too,  I honestly don't understand why such a fan was choosen (rmi model, idk if that's a different fan though?)

But I believe that not many people complain, from some limited testing the fan doesn't even seem to turn on under normal load (tested with balanced and performance settings) so it's literally silent , nothing to complain about there lol.

3 hours ago, Serialsk said:

It was exactly the same and only during my gaming sessions. Does this sound familiar

Well, you could try locking the framerate...otherwise a new psu is totally lottery if you'll get coil whine or not...imo.  

I get them same exact "chirping"  but A it's coming from my GPU not the PSU, and B thankfully only at like 800 fps and up...

Playing FFXIV at 165 fps right now and there's zero coil whine for example. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

57 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Umm, everything above 900rpm is *very* loud,  and it's a deep, bassy sound too,  I honestly don't understand why such a fan was choosen (rmi model, idk if that's a different fan though?)

You think 900 RPM is loud?

The fan is chosen for the RMi (same as RMx except for the bearing) because it's optimal for cooling the inside of a PSU.

But the OP's noise is not fan related, so your not contributing anything here.

9 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

You think 900 RPM is loud?

Well it's audible compared to 800 rpm,  weirdly.

10 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

But the OP's noise is not fan related, so your not contributing anything here.

No, apparently not, although OP wasn't sure at first, I was just saying I think it's quite loud and I did 'contribute' since I made the suggestion of setting a frame limit that should make the coil whine a lot less noticeable, no?

I do wonder though what really makes the sound now,  the PSU or GPU,  in my experience it always seems the GPU, and only at certain frame rates seemingly  - which is a good way to avoid it in many cases . 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Well it's audible compared to 800 rpm,  weirdly.

You can't make a fan spin at 800 RPM without reducing it's top speed RPM.

Your range of speed from lowest to highest is dictated by the size of the motor and number of windings.

You can use a fan that starts at 800 RPM, but then it's top speed would also be lower.  Since the PSU has to function at full load even at 50°C temperatures, reducing the top speed is not an option.

10 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's the frequent and often transient spikes making the magnetics inside the PSU "jump".  There's only one PSU that I know is 100% not going to make that noise and that's the AX1600i...

Out of curiosity hypothetically is there any sort of bandaid fix like say a capacitor bank, choke, filter circuit etc. that could be added inline for 30 series GPUs that would help?

12 hours ago, artuc said:

Out of curiosity hypothetically is there any sort of bandaid fix like say a capacitor bank, choke, filter circuit etc. that could be added inline for 30 series GPUs that would help?

It seems like every time I think I have the noise solved at the PSU, noise starts up at the graphics card.  I've been banging my head against the wall for a "magic bullet" solution for years.

On 3/12/2021 at 12:18 PM, Serialsk said:

ASUS Z490-E Gaming

Thank you @artuc for reminding me of something.  I try so many things, I sometimes forget what works in some corner cases and not others.

I found this works on Gigabyte boards more than anything, but it might work on a Z490E.

@Serialsk:  What BIOS does your board have?

12/23/2020 or newer?  Can you make sure you have 1/15/2021 on there?

There should be "re-size BAR" in the BIOS. Is it enabled or disabled?