Asus B85-pro gamer motherboard unsheathed. NO GOLD!!!!

brownninja97

3x PCI ? what's with that? The pic is probably an early model but still... PCI?! :D

who cares...

they had a non OCing board that was ROG during 775

Yeh, well I do guess it'd good with a Xeon of sort. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Yeh, well I do guess it'd good with a Xeon of sort. 

mmm thats what im thinking new ideas for people and budget build woot

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

What the hell will anyone do with those many legacy slots. Would have liked -x1 or -x2 slots instead.

What the hell will anyone do with those many legacy slots. Would have liked -x1 or -x2 slots instead.

they are cheap to put on boards and you will be surprised about the amount of people that use legacy slots.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Too bad the B85 is not a good choice for gaming. It's from Intel's Business line, hence the "B". It's a cheap/budget chipset, that's why all the cheapest 1150 boards all use the B85 chipset. I doubt the cheapest Haswell chipset Intel offers will get the ROG branding.

you are so fcking wrong. 85 is not the cheapest and it can overclock everything except RAM. Don't get fooled by intel's marketing. I own a b85 killer http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20B85%20Killer/?cat=Specificationsfrom asrock and i can do everything on it except put memory to go over 1.6 wich, confirmed by linus, doesnt influence almost nothing in gamming. I didnt need raid cuz i have ssd's and the price difference between a "good" b85 mobo and good z87 mobo is kinda alot.

You are one of those who confuse "gamers" for "retarded who always buy the best available for 1extra fps".

Edit: to all the people saying that the b85 chipset can't overclock, well, news for you: it can. MSI, ASRock and Asus have b85 mobos that do so. You only can't put the ram over 1.6GHz (wich doesnt affect gamming much)

3x PCI ? what's with that? The pic is probably an early model but still... PCI?! :D

Likely just to fill space in this case, but PCI is far more common in businesses just like serial is used regularly.

you are so * wrong. 85 is not the cheapest and it can overclock everything except RAM. Don't get fooled by intel's marketing. I own a b85 killer http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20B85%20Killer/?cat=Specificationsfrom asrock and i can do everything on it except put memory to go over 1.6 wich, confirmed by linus, doesnt influence almost nothing in gamming. I didnt need raid cuz i have ssd's and the price difference between a "good" b85 mobo and good z87 mobo is kinda alot.

You are one of those who confuse "gamers" for "retarded who always buy the best available for 1extra fps".

Edit: to all the people saying that the b85 chipset can't overclock, well, news for you: it can. MSI, ASRock and Asus have b85 mobos that do so. You only can't put the ram over 1.6GHz (wich doesnt affect gamming much)

It has already been proven that Haswell CPUs benefits from RAM faster than 1600MHz. The old standard of 8GB and 1600MHz is not enough going forward. So a Haswell board that is capped at only 1600MHz should not be advertised as a "gamer" board. It is exactly what I said it is, a budget/bargain bin MOBO, and if your budget is so tight that you can't afford the extra $20 for a Z87 board, than you aren't really building a gaming PC. The days of low end or budget systems being enough are done for. Putting the "gamer" tag on a MOBO like this just tricks people into buying it who are not educated enough to know better.

As far being the cheapest, yes the B85 chipset IS the cheapest Haswell chipset available. Even Intel says so in the links I provided. The H81 is the Consumer version and the B85 is the Business version, but are both the weakest and cheapest of their respective lines, and neither one can be overclocked per Intel. While the performance of the H81 chipset is not any better, it's features are more consumer friendly, and has the ability to support things like more possible USB 3.0 ports, fewer SATA3 connections, and other things that are more important for gamers. The B85 does not even list the same features as the H81, but that is because the B85 is not intended to be used by consumers, and especially gamers. But go look on Newegg yourself, all the cheapest LGA 1150 boards are mixed between the B85 and the H81.

There is no price yet on this board, but seeing as ASUS has several ultra cheap $40-$60 B85 or H81 boards, you can expect this board to compete with Gigabyte's entry level Sniper series board that uses the B85 chipset. This new "Gamer" tag is going to carry an inflated price just like the ROG tag does. At $100 price point, you can do just like I said and spend another $20 to jump up to a Z87 board. By all means though, use this board if you want, but don't try to defend the B85 chipset.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

I believe the Fatal1ty B85 killer motherboard from AsRock uses the same B85 chipset and it allows overclocking.   This card is probably going to let you overclock too, with a lower price and still keeping decent aesthetics.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

It has already been proven that Haswell CPUs benefits from RAM faster than 1600MHz. The old standard of 8GB and 1600MHz is not enough going forward. So a Haswell board that is capped at only 1600MHz should not be advertised as a "gamer" board. It is exactly what I said it is, a budget/bargain bin MOBO, and if your budget is so tight that you can't afford the extra $20 for a Z87 board, than you aren't really building a gaming PC. The days of low end or budget systems being enough are done for. Putting the "gamer" tag on a MOBO like this just tricks people into buying it who are not educated enough to know better.

As far being the cheapest, yes the B85 chipset IS the cheapest Haswell chipset available. Even Intel says so in the links I provided. The H81 is the Consumer version and the B85 is the Business version, but are both the weakest and cheapest of their respective lines, and neither one can be overclocked per Intel. While the performance of the H81 chipset is not any better, it's features are more consumer friendly, and has the ability to support things like more possible USB 3.0 ports, fewer SATA3 connections, and other things that are more important for gamers. The B85 does not even list the same features as the H81, but that is because the B85 is not intended to be used by consumers, and especially gamers. But go look on Newegg yourself, all the cheapest LGA 1150 boards are mixed between the B85 and the H81.

There is no price yet on this board, but seeing as ASUS has several ultra cheap $40-$60 B85 or H81 boards, you can expect this board to compete with Gigabyte's entry level Sniper series board that uses the B85 chipset. This new "Gamer" tag is going to carry an inflated price just like the ROG tag does. At $100 price point, you can do just like I said and spend another $20 to jump up to a Z87 board. By all means though, use this board if you want, but don't try to defend the B85 chipset.

And again, you turn this into the Gamming vs enthusiast thing. Thats link is only showing me Starcraft. You are the one here needing to do some research. I specifically mentioned gamming and this thread is about the gamming aspect of the motherboard. Gamming is not only about the chipset.

I'll give you an example: i bought an ASRock b85 killer, wich brings me a killer NIC (not that it would make much of a difference), good onboard sound (shielded parts, amps, etc), decent capability of OC'ing (before buying it i google it and u can obtain stable  4.8 with a 4770k). This mobo cost me 83€ (around 100 usd, didnt even convert).

I don't need sli/xfire. I don't need raid bcuz of ssd. I couldn't find a z87 mobo with all these extras for at least 140€ (lets say, 160usd). Please, don't tell me this isn't a gamming motherboard because i get 2-5 fps less then your z87 motherboard. I'll say it again, not every fcking gammer needs to squeeze the very max of their cpu and ram to have a good gamming experience. Enthusiasts do. I'm just tired of people "telling me" that i don't know what gamming is just because i don't own a sabertooth with a 4770k at 4.8 and a 780ti.

That said, that motherboard deserves to be called a gamming motherboard. ROG? No, that's more like gammer-enthusiast motherboard with a specific target.

Edit: no, the b85 isn't the cheapest 1150 chipset. h81 only supports 2 dimms, doesnt support xfire, doesnt support SRT, SBA, pci-e 3.0 even, stuff that b85 does. b85 can overclock, you are wrong again.

Do your research and stop being endocrinated by reapers or i will have to kill you.

I believe the Fatal1ty B85 killer motherboard from AsRock uses the same B85 chipset and it allows overclocking.   This card is probably going to let you overclock too, with a lower price and still keeping decent aesthetics.

this was because of something intel left open accidentally that manufacturers found out about but once a couple came out with it intel said they had to patch the bios to disable it.

I like it, it's basically the MSI Gaming withough the dragons.

this was because of something intel left open accidentally that manufacturers found out about but once a couple came out with it intel said they had to patch the bios to disable it.

And of course the first few thousands could come out with an "old" bios to let you use the overclocking, then would be up to the user to patch it, which none would do.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

No. That didn't happen. People were just predicting it would happen but in reality it didn't.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/B85G43_GAMING.html#specification -->can overclock

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20B85%20Killer/?cat=Specifications  -->can overclock

http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4594#sp -->can overclock

etc..

And again, you turn this into the Gamming vs enthusiast thing. Thats link is only showing me Starcraft. You are the one here needing to do some research. I specifically mentioned gamming and this thread is about the gamming aspect of the motherboard. Gamming is not only about the chipset.

I'll give you an example: i bought an ASRock b85 killer, wich brings me a killer NIC (not that it would make much of a difference), good onboard sound (shielded parts, amps, etc), decent capability of OC'ing (before buying it i google it and u can obtain stable  4.8 with a 4770k). This mobo cost me 83€ (around 100 usd, didnt even convert).

I don't need sli/xfire. I don't need raid bcuz of ssd. I couldn't find a z87 mobo with all these extras for at least 140€ (lets say, 160usd). Please, don't tell me this isn't a gamming motherboard because i get 2-5 fps less then your z87 motherboard. I'll say it again, not every fcking gammer needs to squeeze the very max of their cpu and ram to have a good gamming experience. Enthusiasts do. I'm just tired of people "telling me" that i don't know what gamming is just because i don't own a sabertooth with a 4770k at 4.8 and a 780ti.

That said, that motherboard deserves to be called a gamming motherboard. ROG? No, that's more like gammer-enthusiast motherboard with a specific target.

Edit: no, the b85 isn't the cheapest 1150 chipset. h81 only supports 2 dimms, doesnt support xfire, doesnt support SRT, SBA, pci-e 3.0 even, stuff that b85 does. b85 can overclock, you are wrong again.

Do your research and stop being endocrinated by reapers or i will have to kill you.

B85 does NOT support SLI or Crossfire. For the few boards that even have a second PCI-e x16 slot, it is at x4 speed 2.0 slot. The board that this thread is about doesn't even have a second x16 slot of any type or speed. So, you are wrong on that.

The B85 and H81 are the same price, with the B85 being designed for business applications and the H81 being designed for consumer applications. Like I said, go look on sites like Newegg and follow the links I provided from Intel. The lowest price boards all swap back and forth between the B85 and H81. So you are wrong on that one too.

Speaking of links, I provided a link to back up every statement I have made, you have not. Intel does not allow overclocking on non-Z87 1150 boards. This directly supports the statement I maid my previous post that the Z87 allows overclocking with out any "trickery". "Trickery" being a term that other people used in the thread before I did, so I was just keeping with the same description. It doesn't matter if you do it, or if the board manufacture does it, but in order for B85, H81, or any other non-Z87 1150 board to be overclocked, it requires that lock put in place by Intel be removed.

So, I don't care what you are "tired" of, because you don't know what you're talking about. So, if you are tired of it, admit you were wrong and walk away. Budget gaming was killed when x86 support was killed with the launch of the gen 8 consoles. 8 core CPUs, with faster RAM, aren't going to just before the enthusiasts any more, they will be basic requirements.

No. That didn't happen. People were just predicting it would happen but in reality it didn't.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/B85G43_GAMING.html#specification -->can overclock

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20B85%20Killer/?cat=Specifications  -->can overclock

http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4594#sp -->can overclock

etc..

Predicting?? No, Intel confirmed OC is not allowed on non-Z87 boards. But users and manufactures break those limitations put in place by Intel. But it is not officially supported.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/07/25/intel-overclocking-block/1

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

B85 does NOT support SLI or Crossfire. For the few boards that even have a second PCI-e x16 slot, it is at x4 speed 2.0 slot. The board that this thread is about doesn't even have a second x16 slot of any type or speed. So, you are wrong on that.

The B85 and H81 are the same price, with the B85 being designed for business applications and the H81 being designed for consumer applications. Like I said, go look on sites like Newegg and follow the links I provided from Intel. The lowest price boards all swap back and forth between the B85 and H81. So you are wrong on that one too.

Speaking of links, I provided a link to back up every statement I have made, you have not. Intel does not allow overclocking on non-Z87 1150 boards. This directly supports the statement I maid my previous post that the Z87 allows overclocking with out any "trickery". "Trickery" being a term that other people used in the thread before I did, so I was just keeping with the same description. It doesn't matter if you do it, or if the board manufacture does it, but in order for B85, H81, or any other non-Z87 1150 board to be overclocked, it requires that lock put in place by Intel be removed.

So, I don't care what you are "tired" of, because you don't know what you're talking about. So, if you are tired of it, admit you were wrong and walk away. Budget gaming was killed when x86 support was killed with the launch of the gen 8 consoles. 8 core CPUs, with faster RAM, aren't going to just before the enthusiasts any more, they will be basic requirements.

Predicting?? No, Intel confirmed OC is not allowed on non-Z87 boards. But users and manufactures break those limitations put in place by Intel. But it is not officially supported.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/07/25/intel-overclocking-block/1

so you want links? 

ok, here you go. Straight from intel website: 

b85 ->http://ark.intel.com/products/75019

h81 ->http://ark.intel.com/products/75016/Intel-DH82H81-PCH

b85 is not the cheapest. B85 has more features. Note that the b85 mobos i linked support xfire (xfire can run a 16x+4x... ). Notice the overclocking. It says: no. Now look at this: 

image.png

This is my motherboard. B85 killer (http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20B85%20Killer/?cat=Specifications). No, im not predicting. I said i own a mobo with a b85 chipset. I rly looked it up before buying it.

I hope you are satisfied. Stop talking stuff from retarded sources or that you know nothing about. What are you gonna tell me next? That im experiencing placebo-overclock from my B85 motherboard?

@TheProfosist i can't be 100% sure that it didn't happen. But fact is: Some B85 motherboards allow overclocking and that's a fact. It has Ram limitation, being the max 1600MHz (wich doesn't influence much in games).

Edit: just taken

just_taken.png

so you want links? 

ok, here you go. Straight from intel website: 

b85 ->http://ark.intel.com/products/75019

h81 ->http://ark.intel.com/products/75016/Intel-DH82H81-PCH

b85 is not the cheapest. B85 has more features. Note that the b85 mobos i linked support xfire (xfire can run a 16x+4x... ). Notice the overclocking. It says: no. Now look at this: 

image.png

This is my motherboard. B85 killer (http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20B85%20Killer/?cat=Specifications). No, im not predicting. I said i own a mobo with a b85 chipset. I rly looked it up before buying it.

I hope you are satisfied. Stop talking stuff from retarded sources or that you know nothing about. What are you gonna tell me next? That im experiencing placebo-overclock from my B85 motherboard?

@TheProfosist i can't be 100% sure that it didn't happen. But fact is: Some B85 motherboards allow overclocking and that's a fact. It has Ram limitation, being the max 1600MHz (wich doesn't influence much in games).

Edit: just taken

just_taken.png

An official statement from Intel is a "retarded source"??? All I ever said was he overclocking on non-Z85 boards requires either the user or the board manufacture to bypass limits put in place by Intel. I never said it was impossible, but you are technically doing something that is banned by Intel.

Why on earth would any gamer with even half a brain want to overclock their CPU on a MOBO that Intel says you are NOT supposed to use for overclocking? Especially when a board that officially supports overclocking is only an extra $20. You are putting being cheap ahead of being smart, that's for AMD users to do.

An official statement from Intel is a "retarded source"??? All I ever said was he overclocking on non-Z85 boards requires either the user or the board manufacture to bypass limits put in place by Intel. I never said it was impossible, but you are technically doing something that is banned by Intel.

Why on earth would any gamer with even half a brain want to overclock their CPU on a MOBO that Intel says you are NOT supposed to use for overclocking? Especially when a board that officially supports overclocking is only an extra $20. You are putting being cheap ahead of being smart, that's for AMD users to do.

Once again, you refer to 3rd pt websites and state it as "official statement from Intel". I don't know for how long u've been building pc's, i have since 2000. Intel has a history of not allowing OC on a non top-of-the-line chipset for marketing purposes. Why do you think that manufacturers like ASRock (second place brand in selling motherboards last year if i'm not mistaken), MSI, Gigabyte and even Asus (didn't check this) sell b85 overclocking motherboards? Why would a motherboard get to 4.8GHz if it isn't stable? Did you stop to think that if a motherboard fails because you pushed the chip too much (a thing that the consumer can't prove, you simply get a dead mobo) you just RMA it to the company that sold you that and not Intel?

And once again you mix "gamer" with "overclock". I already told you that in order to have a good gamming experience you don't even need to overclock. You are not called a gammer because you have a good pc, but because you play games. But, by all means, be one of those consumers that need the absolute max possible, companies thrive from that (not joking here).

edit: 

Intel has confirmed that it plans to issue 

Did you even read the link you sent me? It doesn't say Intel did it, only planned to. My bios is dated 29-11-2013 and allows OC. I also have my windows updated. -.-

edit 2:

http://rog.asus.com/251652013/news/asus-bios-update-enables-h87-and-b85-overclocking-motherboards/

I know it's dated as before that Intel announcement about blocking OC on non-z chips but, as u can easily find out, asus b85/h87 can still overclock with latest bios.

Th only drawbacks from a non-z chip is that u can't overclock ram wich, as i stated before and not your starcraft bulls, makes a small difference in games, and you can't change the fsb bus, just multipliers.

Also, you are the blind consumer here, not me. Just so you know, AMD has good stuff but thanks for showing how "smart" you are.

Edited by papeles

Asus can always mod the bios to allow OCing 

Asrocks B85 Killer somehow go OCing

I believe Newegg got a 4770K to 4.6GHz on the B85 Killer

offically it doesnt allow it, you can of course mess with the bios to allow that but you void your warrenty the second that you do that

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1