What Linux distribution you use and why?

Proxmox - Debian.

I have some virtual mixtures of Ubuntu and Fedora

spare laptop - Fedora

TBH besides the laptop and a test VM everything is shell I'm not going to be drawn to any UI elements.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

1 hour ago, Inception9269 said:

Opensuse Tumbleweed I really want to use since it's a rolling release distro, but is more stable than Arch

I use both and in my experience this isn't the case.  IME, they are both equally "stable".  However, Arch has the advantage of supporting multiple kernels.  With tumbleweed, you get a history of recent kernels but there is no easy option to switch to an LTS kernel or a different kernel altogether.

1 hour ago, Inception9269 said:

Like I said though, even when I did the install and was then updating my system afterwards my pc was freezing up. When I'd try logging out or restarting the system, the whole thing would just freeze. Those kind of problems were not because of anything I did.

This is sort of the point I was trying to make above.  You didn't do anything that caused those problems but you *may* have been able to do something to fix them.

That is one of the reasons I gravitate toward distros with active and helpful communities.  Even if something isn't working, having a community available that will help you get it working is an invaluable resource.

5 hours ago, PCGamer2727 said:

I use both and in my experience this isn't the case.  IME, they are both equally "stable".  However, Arch has the advantage of supporting multiple kernels.  With tumbleweed, you get a history of recent kernels but there is no easy option to switch to an LTS kernel or a different kernel altogether.

This is sort of the point I was trying to make above.  You didn't do anything that caused those problems but you *may* have been able to do something to fix them.

That is one of the reasons I gravitate toward distros with active and helpful communities.  Even if something isn't working, having a community available that will help you get it working is an invaluable resource.

Out of curiosity, would you know how to make a post install script for Arch, or where I can find out how to make one?

I was watching some videos by DistroTube on making your own distro using Archiso, and I did play around with that a bit just to see how this shit works, and realistically speaking like Arch Linux itself would work just fine, especially if there's a way to modify the list of packages that it installs, so I can just copy over that list any time I do want to install the distro.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

2 hours ago, Inception9269 said:

Out of curiosity, would you know how to make a post install script for Arch, or where I can find out how to make one?

A post install script that does what?

2 hours ago, Inception9269 said:

realistically speaking like Arch Linux itself would work just fine, especially if there's a way to modify the list of packages that it installs, so I can just copy over that list any time I do want to install the distro.

How would that be any different than using EndeavourOS which you have already been using?  The EndeavourOS installer already supports taking a custom package list.

You can do the same with Arch using archinstall but there you would need to know exactly what you want as opposed to having a working base.

NixOS because I can make it very reproducible using a declarative configuration, and use flakes to lock my inputs. I am able to make / and /home/mcsimw mount as a tmpfs, and set explicitly what I want to persist with the impermanence module or btrfs subvols / zfs pool / regular filesystem partitions. I like the nix ecosystem in general when it comes to developing application and doing system administration. NixPkgs contains literally all the packages I could ever want ( 80,000 + packages) and contributing to NixPkgs is not particularly difficult.

Also I literally can't break it, I have not had to reinstall a nixos installation ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Linux Kodachi

1. Linux Kodachi is an impressive operating system that prioritizes user privacy and security. It comes with several built-in privacy tools and is designed to leave no trace on the system once you shut it down. Overall, it is a great choice for anyone who values their online privacy.

2. If you are looking for an operating system that puts your privacy first, Linux Kodachi is an excellent choice. With its powerful encryption tools and numerous privacy features, you can be confident that your data is safe and secure. Additionally, it is easy to use, lightweight, and customizable.

3. Linux Kodachi is an amazing operating system that offers a range of impressive features, including anonymous browsing, secure communication tools, and enhanced encryption capabilities. With its intuitive interface and flexible architecture, it's the perfect choice for anyone looking for a reliable and secure OS.

4. Linux Kodachi is a cutting-edge operating system that offers user-friendly privacy and security features. Its powerful encryption, secure browsing, and privacy tools make it a go-to choice for anyone who values their online security. It is also easy to install and customize, so you can tailor your experience to your needs.

5. Linux Kodachi is the perfect choice for anyone who wants to enjoy the full benefits of a Linux OS while ensuring their online privacy and security. Its extensive suite of privacy tools, secure browsing, and advanced encryption make it a valuable tool for anyone looking to stay safe online. Additionally, it is easy to use and offers extensive customization options.

M7-12R5N5-668 Infinity M7 (GM7AGEM TongFang)

Stay true to yourself. Don’t compromise your values or beliefs for
anything or anyone. Don’t change because others around you are, don’t be
pressured, be you – just you. Be proud of who you are and what you stand for.

I currently use Linux Mint with XFCE on my ThinkPad E595 and EndevourOS on my much older Toshiba Satellite C40D.

Linux Mint runs well on my ThinkPad and is very stable, not to say that the Arch-based EndevourOS is unstable. Linux mint run a bit slow on the C40D, so I decided to put Arch on it. I use AntiX on a much much older ThinkPad SL410 that I own.

for servers: ubuntu, for everything else when i do use linux: linux mint. i'm just very used to debian and ubuntu based distros is why i use them.

I grew up with Windows XP and 7, I got very familliar with them.
Linux Mint Cinnamon reminds me of them, and it feels like home. It also has a ton of QOL changes that make using it simple and I always enjoy my time with it.

That said it tends to tread in safe waters a lot and makes it a bit "boring" to use at times, so I am often tempted by other distros. Fedora is always looking good and I get an itch to try it every now and then, I also can never fully escape my first distro Ubuntu. Always gotta try the new Ubuntu release.