What Linux distribution you use and why?

So the topic says it all, what Linux distribution you use and why?

I have been a Linux user for quite a while now, and have gotten used to use Ubuntu as my primary system. I also use Ubuntu in both of my servers, fileserver and general server (www, mumble etc.), and in my laptop.

I do test other distributions quite often in my test pc, but none has convinced me to switch off from Ubuntu. The Unity desktops ease of use is just superb, and I can perform my day to day tasks like a baws!

If I had to do serious working with my pc, and have like bazillion monitors, I would prefer something like Gnome 2 as my desktop environment.

I run multiple servers that are all (but one) running Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu because I feel that it is stable and with its large community/support any bugs or security holes are quickly fixed, it was also the first Linux OS that I used so there is a bit of bias.

My server runs Red hat, my laptop runs Ubuntu.

Red hat is amazing as a server OS Even given the opertunity I wouldn't switch to anything else.

Ubuntu is the most stable distro I've used. only thing I do is install Gnome 3 and get rid of Unity. Nice and Solid

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I run Crunchbang on my desktop and Xubuntu on my laptop.

Crunch on desktop because I like the layout, plus it's based on Debian so I can use my regular programs on it. It's also very stable, even though it's name means that it breaks all the time.

Xubuntu on laptop because it's too slow for windows, and since it has the Ubuntu repositories , it can run basically everything I want (Within the hardware limits).

I also run Windows 8 on my desktop when I want to play some games, or if a program only runs on windows.

| CPU: Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.26v | GPU: AMD R9 290X @ 1090MHz |

| RAM: 2x4GB Samsung Green @ 2133MHz OC |

| PSU: Corsair RM850 | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | 

I run Mint (with cinnamon) on my desktop with a custom dark theme that i liked (i'm not a fan of lots of bright colours), and i have a server running ubuntu server 12.04

(my desktop also has windows installed for gaming.. not a fan of messing around with wine..)

Edit added kubuntu to my desktop, it feels a lot more stable that cinnamon on mint, some small problems with it default apps though, i nuked half of them, konsole kept crashing KDE when i was closing it, using pTerm now.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

For a desktop environment, I personally like to use Zorin (ubuntu based) and for servers, redhat

I use Ubuntu for my netbook because it's really stable and I really like the Unity desktop.

However, I still use Fedora because it was the first distro I've used. It's really solid, will definitely use it for an upcoming server build.

I've got Ubuntu dual booting with Windows 7 and I like but I've heard good things about Linux Mint also.

I'm very much a linux novice

I'm running OpenSUSE and liking it quite a bit, only downside is that now and again things like Chrome sorta freezes up. Tried Ubuntu and it was alright but not interested in going back. Also heard from a few places that Ubuntu has some deal with Amazon where it can see your internal searches or something like that.

Fedora :-) i also use Ubuntu and Zorin

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

I have a 13 inch MacBook Pro and a lenovo X230 with windows 7. I do enjoy using my Mac more then my windows pc and I like the unix underneath the surface of OS X. I have an install disk for Ubuntu 12.10 and I can boot off of it. However I have an external drive that I am using as a back up and I have partitioned some space on it for Ubuntu. What kind of file system and boot registry should I create on that external drive so I can instal and boot into Ubuntu from that external drive?

Also the Ubuntu reads my external drive with the two partitions as a Raid array even though it is not a RAID array. It is just a back up drive with some empty space i have put into another partition for Ubuntu.

Server-Red Hat

Desktop-Ubuntu/Mint(I keep switching)

Meh, can't decide for my desktop.

I'm using Debian for servers mostly now, with a sprinkle of Ubuntu here and there.

I'm running Fedora on my laptop and desktop now, runs really well, but with the recent Debian 12 release I'm tempted to switch to that.

And I use Arch on my Steam Deck

Hooo-man, I have a mess of distros that I use. I have Ubuntu server 12.10 running Xen, raspbian, a variation of Debian for the raspberry pi, desktop 12.10 for personal use, and a pile of other distros that I use at school and work (Redhat, Arch, & mint mainly). The only one that I use a Gui on is my desktop machine, I sway between Gnome3 and Unity.

Desktop: Fedora (has always worked flawlessy even with the strangest hardware i.e. netbooks and laptops)

Personal server: mainly Debian

Servers at work: Ubuntu

Ubuntu for regular use on my laptop, and I switch sometimes to BackTrack5 on my Desktop PC.

Gentoo lately ... was on Arch 3 years and got annoyed they switched to systemd and also AUR isn't really good

I like gentoo because you can customize it, also custom compile rocks but it takes time, overall great distribution. Fast stable reliable and gentoo irc rocks

Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon. It just really works for me, been way more stable than Windows. It's also 10000000000x10 times faster. I recently formatted my hard drive, and now I'm only running Mint. Steam cannot exit beta fast enough!

My main computer(uses are gaming, programming, rendering, etc) runs windows 7 with vms for Linux Mint and Arch.

I miss developing on linux primarily, but I game enough to warrant using windows as my dedicated os. I develop inside of windows, but sometimes fire up Mint/Arch for specific windows purposes. I had a mint disk laying out when I installed vbox on this computer so I installed it first as a download vm.

I have two home servers running arch and my laptop runs arch.

One of the servers is a webserver, dlna/upnp media server, and ftp.

While the other one runs several minecraft servers xD

Laptop never gets touched anymore sadly. Quickly overheats to 100C+ during gaming of any sort, has an old integrated gpu, mouse buttons no longer work due to what I assume is water damage, the mouse pad itself gets so hot my fingers literally dry out and burn on it. Honestly it would still be a great dev platform if the mouse buttons worked.....but without the mouse buttons it loses all usability as a mobile development station =/

I choose arch for most everything and it remains my OS of choice for ANY reason other than gaming because of their philosophies and how they stick true to them. I can't really look eye to eye with ubuntu any longer. Also when I need precious resources on something, I can always rest assured it isn't being wasted on other things like a full fledged desktop distro. Of course there are other server distros that would leave tiny footprints or things like dsl/gentoo but if there is a community I like it is definitely the Arch community. The AUR is extremely expansive and one of the largest user software repositories across any distro. Also when it comes to wikis and information, Arch is overflowing with such.

I've tried dozens of distros over the years, and there was a time in 2010 when I installed about 40-50 OSes in about a 2 month span for a research. I was helping write up the Linux course for next semester and wanted it to be proper xD Even after all of those, I still love Arch. It's like my baby :3

Arch Linux is my distro of choice, but not everyone loves the command line like i do, if you want something a bit easier try archbang. Gentoo is great too, but it is difficult for most people to configure their kernel unless they know their hardware really well.

I've been using varying distributions of Linux as my main system for many years but settled with Ubuntu since 9.04. Although with the release of 12.04 I have been using the MATE window manager as I couldn't get on with Unity or Gnome 3 (Gnome Shell), it just wasn't quite as good.

I occasionally use Ubuntu just because it's something that's not Windows and it gets a lot of support. The bad thing is that I may be looking into choosing something else because Ubuntu seems to be getting more and more bloated every update.

• 9 years later...

I used Qubes OS as my daily driver in Lenovo ThinkPad T480s. The reasons that why I'm using that due to pandemic of privacy and security due to the all of the recent hackings from other groups. The website of the OS that I'm using is: https://qubes-os.org/

Arch on the gaming PC because of the low overhead and it's so easy to get just about any software running on it. 

Debian on the personal laptop because stability. Gonna switch to Void once I can get a LibreBoot Thinkpad.

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed on the TV PC because it has an awesome KDE experience and lots of GUI tools.

Ubuntu on the school laptop because mainstream stuff. It's an awful experience so it's gonna get OpenSUSE Leap once 15.4 comes out this summer. 

Really cool that this 9 year old thread still has a bit of discussion potential. And cool to see all the old user accounts, and the perspective of 2013. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain