Upgrade 7-8 year old psu?

Delighted

Hello, 

I've been using a Corsair CS650m with my old build and now for about 1.5 years with my newer build. 

Old build: 

• fx 8320 oc @4.5
  • MSI twin frozr rx 280x 3G  oc @1100mhz 

New build:

• r5 3600 (not overclocked)
  • Asus rog rx 5700xt (not overclocked, with the good screws in it)

I've seen somewhere that my power supply is ok, but not the best out there. I was wondering if it is fine to continue using it or if I have to spend 100 euro on a new power supply like the corsair rm650x (2019). 

Thx for the help 🙂

Edit: I've been using my system daily for a couple hours I would say. Mostly in the evenings and a bit more in the weekends. 

If you have the money lying around, get a new one. If you haven't seen any performance decreases over time, upgrade with your next PC.

haha broskie like dab my guy

8 minutes ago, Delighted said:

Hello, 

I've been using a Corsair CS650m with my old build and now for about 1.5 years with my newer build. 

Old build: 

• fx 8320 oc @4.5
  • MSI twin frozr rx 280x 3G  oc @1100mhz 

New build:

• r5 3600 (not overclocked)
  • Asus rog rx 5700xt (not overclocked, with the good screws in it)

I've seen somewhere that my power supply is ok, but not the best out there. I was wondering if it is fine to continue using it or if I have to spend 100 euro on a new power supply like the corsair rm650x (2019). 

Thx for the help 🙂

Edit: I've been using my system daily for a couple hours I would say. Mostly in the evenings and a bit more in the weekends. 

dont know much about psu lifespans but from my limited knowledge: get a good quality psu from a reputable brand like seasonic. make sure it has a warrenty that'll last untill your kids grow up and buy 50% more wattage then you need for maximum futurproofig. wit that strat you should be able to take it until your house gets struck by lightning in which case its covered by insurance

11 minutes ago, thDel said:

dont know much about psu lifespans but from my limited knowledge: get a good quality psu from a reputable brand like seasonic. make sure it has a warrenty that'll last untill your kids grow up and buy 50% more wattage then you need for maximum futurproofig. wit that strat you should be able to take it until your house gets struck by lightning in which case its covered by insurance

I've seen that a new motherboard connecter standard is coming. Which ditches the 3.3 and 5V rails on power supplies (a 12 pin connector or so). Isn't that something to take in regard to the future? Or can i just buy an adapter cable as I don't think this standard changes anything else than getting rid of those two rails. 

47 minutes ago, Delighted said:

I've seen that a new motherboard connecter standard is coming. Which ditches the 3.3 and 5V rails on power supplies (a 12 pin connector or so).

On both the PSU and the motherboard, and there are zero hardware available for that standard yet. As of keep or not to keep Corsair CS-m, i'd say keep it, you ain't putting much stress on it with the components that barely draw 300W at peak, especially if it's only a few hours a day, it's a quality PSU, it should keep up for another 2-3 years with this hardware no problem. When and if you'll be upgrading GPU (as the most power hungry component) then replace the PSU too.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply