I thought phone innovation was dead.

Does anyone know if / how this will work on Verizon? I checked online, the only thing I could find was something from 2018 and they were " working on it ".

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

People keep saying bunch of things to excuse pathetic general Android support. Literally every time I speak how garbage experience I had with every single Android device people keep coming up with most ridiculous, borderline insane excuses to defend that shit. And then they have the audacity to call me "Apple fanboy" for preferring the 5 years of timely updates and not making a big fuss about stupid "closed ecosystem". I mean, what good is open ecosystem when you're stuck on outdated OS with zero security updates and only alternative to that are at most alpha version home brewed ROM's on XDA with even less support and QA. It's pointless.

It's not randoms on some forum, it's publications that have talked to people more in the know than you or I.

Also, phones get security updates far longer than OS iterations, my S8 was still getting them when I sold it earlier this year.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 3/10/2021 at 6:17 PM, RejZoR said:

No. No no no and no. No one really gives a damn or cares who device "belongs" to. Same tired stupid "muh closed ecosystem" bullshit that I'm so sick of listening to over and over and over like some god damn gospel. The fact is, Apple's shit literally just works and a lot of people just want shit that "just works" over constant fiddling with all the shit. Apple has fast phones, provides very long term software support and just never gives you sensation you're being forced to buy new phone just to have latest OS. Which with just 1 year of updates for ROG phones is just beyond pathetic. You pay stupid price just to get essentially zero support. It's why I'd and I'll never buy an ASUS phone until they address this idiocy. They make impressive hardware solutions, but their software department is just straight up shit. Which is odd given ho good is their BIOS support on motherboards. But I know that's not the same division as the one working on phones...

Literally ALL Android phone makers push you to buy new device to be up to date software wise and just the idea of it is stupid. It's a fucking software. No one expects you to magically make my CPU in a phone faster, but we sure as hell expect you to deliver updates. Most people have their entire lives on phones these days and last thing you want is using outdated OS to power it.

In fact this is one of THE strongest iPhone highlights. Basically a standard 5 years of MAJOR updates for OS, zero regional release bullshit with timely updates. This means if you buy phone now and it came with iOS 14, you're good till iOS 18/19. And every single update that's released, you get it THAT exact moment. It's just such insane contrast to crappy Android where Google releases update, then it takes many months for individual vendors to adopt it and then it takes up to several weeks for you to even get the actual update. Just look at basically any news article for some major Android version release. It'll be filled with people asking when it'll be out and a week later they begin asking why they are not getting it meanwhile others are saying they've had it for ages and then someone says he's from country X and he got it and then someone else from same country X says he still hasn't got it. This crap on Android phones pissed me off soooooooooooooo hard I can't describe it.

Zero of any of this bullshit on iPhones. Just the other day I spotted news about iOS 14.4.1 with security update for WebKit. Checked for updates and bam, it was there. Minutes later I had iOS 14.4.1 installed. On Android, this would mean days or even weeks long ordeal. Assuming I'd even be eligible for it coz my iPhone XR is 2 years and a half old. Which on most Android brands means you've already ran out of "luck"...

People keep saying how I must hate Android coz I keep saying how superior iPhones are in this regard, but the thing is, when some Android phone maker will offer 5 years of major software updates that are released in timely manner not spread across weeks and months and I'm gonna go with them and stick around. Closest thing to that is Samsung with its 3 years of updates and 1 year of security updates, but their garbage ass policy of giving us Europeans generally inferior Exynos chipsets makes me not want to consider them anyways. I'd go with Pixel for that, but if Google wasn't just so straight up creepy. So, there's that. iOS it is until someone gets their shit together in Android space.

My $200 Android phone from 2015 still gets reasonably regular updates 🙂

HTC Wildfire -> 1 update (Eclair to Froyo)

Samsung Galaxy S2 -> 1 update (Gingerbread to Jelly Bean)

HUAWEI Ascend P7 -> 1 update (Kitkat to Lollipop)

Xiaomi Mi5 -> 2 updates (Marshmallow to Nougat and then Oreo)

iPhone XR -> 2 so far (iOS 12 to iOS 13 and then iOS 14, expecting a lot more to come)

Lets just say I have terrible experience with Android through decade of its use. Basically I always had to buy a new device in order to get new OS which is just beyond stupid. That Xiaomi had the best experience in ages, though I got screwed over by not getting Pie which is annoying as it was a rather huge update to Android. Which is why they've done it yet again. To sell more new devices having that new OS version.

On 3/11/2021 at 4:03 AM, bluehawk said:

Call me ignorant, but I mean are there really a lot of mobile games that can take full advantage of a gaming phone like this? I pop in the play store occasionally to see what's there. But it all seems to be the usual shovelware paywall crap.

Well, yes. Because it's unoptimized shovelware paywall crap.

Just like how modern websites need to download megabytes of javascript to display a white canvas.

• 3 months later...

I know that only the side USB-C port supports video, but do both USB-C ports support bi-directional data?  I want to connect my Epson Moverio BT-40 Smartglasses on the side USB-C port while connecting my DJI remote controller to the bottom USB-C port when running the DJI FLY app to fly my DJI Mini 2 drone.  Is this possible?

If they would make genuine phone games that aren't copy pastes of old boring city builders....

or in general just cheap ripoffs of full games on pc/consoles packed with so many microtransactions playing the game without them becomes impossible.

Only then would I find a gaming phone useful

Really hoping for a Galaxy s22 with under-screen camera and larger battery, and screen tech improvements to lower the power usage while using 120hz mode

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+