~$500 Headphone+Amp Recommendations?

Entropy.

Hullo, 

As the title suggests,  I'm currently in the market for a $500 headphone and amp combination for a desk setup. I'm very open to suggestions regardless of the finer details- That can be worked out later. I've obviously seen options such as a 6xx along with a schitt stack or just a magni 3, but I'd like to get your opinion on the matter. I'll primarily be listening to jazz, lofi, and I guess more relaxed, instrumental music, but I'll also be listening to edm and rap, albeit at a less frequent rate than say, lofi. These'll also likely be my main headphones, and I'll be using them for almost everything, gaming included- however I do have nice speakers and a wireless pair of headphones to fall back on if the headphones you suggest don't work particularly well with certain types of audio, so I'd prefer a jack of all trades, but it isn't required. For now I'd like to prioritize imaging over soundstage but that's subject to change. Price is roughly $500 USD and I am living in the US, but I'm flexible for the price and may be able to go for pricer equipment provided you beileve it's worth it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Ty! 🙂

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

I'll start with this. The Schiit stack was my first stack and the 6xx was my first headphones that weren't "gaming" headphones. I love the set up. Especially for the price. I do also use the Loki mini. I set it to where I like it and haven't changed it. Depending on moods I'll usually have some sort of heavy music going while playing games or being in Discord calls. I've gone from blast beat metal to country to rap and back and not had any issues with audio quality. Unless someone has a better idea for spreading $500 I don't think you'll be disappointed. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, geo3 said:

500 for just the headphones? or for everything?

Originally 500 USD for an amp, and a pair of headphones, along with any other accessories. I'd be fine going up to $600 or so. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

So I'd get something in the Sennheiser 600 series, or AKG K712 or Sony CD900st + aftermarket pads.  Want something more fun and less analytical: Sivga Phoenix.

Then I'd spend whatever's left on the stack.

$300? Topping E30 & L30,

$250?  Schiit Modi 3+ & Topping L30,

$200? Schiit Modi 3+ & Magni 3+/Heresy,

~$150? iFi Zen DAC (it's actually a combo unit not just a DACdespite the name),

~$100 Fiio K3

16 minutes ago, geo3 said:

So I'd get something in the Sennheiser 600 series, or AKG K712 or Sony CD900st + aftermarket pads.  Want something more fun and less analytical: Sivga Phoenix.

Then I'd spend whatever's left on the stack.

$300? Topping E30 & L30,

$250?  Schiit Modi 3+ & Topping L30,

$200? Schiit Modi 3+ & Magni 3+/Heresy,

~$150? iFi Zen DAC (it's actually a combo unit not just a DACdespite the name),

~$100 Fiio K3

Hmm alright. Would you recommend that I try the setup without a dac first, in the case of say The E30/L30? Or should I just see if a dac really affects my audio? If you think I wouldn’t need or don’t want a dac, should I just save the money?  Go for a preamp? Go for a higher-end amp?

1 hour ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Hmm alright. Would you recommend that I try the setup without a dac first, in the case of say The E30/L30? Or should I just see if a dac really affects my audio? If you think I wouldn’t need or don’t want a dac, should I just save the money?  Go for a preamp? Go for a higher-end amp?

Personally I feel I'm spending that much on the rest of the system I should have the cleanest source possible. But you could always just try it and buy the DAC later.

First, keep in mind that the headphones themselves make a FAR bigger difference than the amp. Lots of good recommendations so far, I'll throw in the Grado SR225s. I'm generally not a big headphones guy, but as headphones go I found these to be some of the best I've tried.