Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upgraded HDD To SSD And Now I Have No Windows Product Key Or Activation.

I bought this Dell PC and I upgraded the HDD to an SSD. After using the media creation tool and installing windows 10 into the SSD, I don't have a product key or activation, and I formatted the HDD. What do I do?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You might be able to contact Dell and get the product code from them, else your gonna have to deal with the annoying watermark or buy windows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Rccan2325 said:

I bought this Dell PC and I upgraded the HDD to an SSD. After using the media creation tool and installing windows 10 into the SSD, I don't have a product key or activation, and I formatted the HDD. What do I do?

If you had your microsoft account set up with the HDD, there is a possibility that if you sign in with your microsoft account now, your windows will automatically be activated. Because the key would be tied to your ms account. In which case, I don't know if you will remember, but it should have been like this.

image.thumb.png.e4a1cd8887ce0bed7c5afc294a5e72ee.png

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

How old is the PC?

 

If it has a Win10 sticker on it, then Win10 activation keys are built into the system and it should pick it up after the new install without further action. However you have to make sure you use the same version e.g. home or pro.

 

If Win7 era system, there should be a key on a sticker you can enter on it.  

Desktop Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 4x16GB, EVGA 2080Ti, NZXT E850 PSU, Cooler Master MasterBox 5, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p144 G-sync
TV Gaming system: Gigabyte Z490 Elite AC, i7-11700k, Noctua D15, Kingston HyperX RGB 4000@3600 2x8GB, MSI 3070 Gaming Trio X, EVGA Supernova G2L 850W, Corsair 230T, Crucial P1 1TB + MX500 1TB, LG OLED55B9PLA 4k120 G-Sync Compatible
Streaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, i9-7920X, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Asus Strix 1080Ti, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, BenQ XL2411 1080p144 + HP LP2475w 1200p60
Former Main system: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, GTX 980Ti FE, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, Acer RT280k 4k60 FreeSync [link]
Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, DDR4 2133 2x8GB, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB + 480GB SSD [link]


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AnirbanG007 said:

If you had your microsoft account set up with the HDD, there is a possibility that if you sign in with your microsoft account now, your windows will automatically be activated. Because the key would be tied to your ms account. In which case, I don't know if you will remember, but it should have been like this.

image.thumb.png.e4a1cd8887ce0bed7c5afc294a5e72ee.png

Yes it did say it was activated with a digital license but only for the first 10 minutes then it said that I need to activate windows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Rccan2325 said:

Yes it did say it was activated with a digital license but only for the first 10 minutes then it said that I need to activate windows.

Wow, that is soo unfortunate 😕 Idk man, talk to Dell, or get one of those keys from websites that sponsor a portion of Kyle's videos on Bitwit. You could prolly get a key for 15 usd, don't quote me on that tho. But def talk to Dell first.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×