2080 with 3 burnt pins?! What do i do now?

Go to solution Solved by Archer42,

This means that the connector was getting really hot. The reason would be bad contact either between connectors or somewhere else (between wires and connector? Most likely. On the card itself? Highly improbable).

Judging by melted plastic you got lucky - it could have started a fire.

I do not see any real damage to the card though. Ideally you should clean the pins with something abrasive, and probably stop using this cables. Just connect PSU cables directly, "looks" are not worth killing the card or starting a fire. Inserting extra connection points and wires into relatively high-current lines just for "looks" is honestly a thing I'll probably never understand...

Stuff like this can be commonly seen on electrical outlets when people constantly pull the plug by the wire, wire slowly starts to break heat up. It is not immediately noticeable because device continues to work, and it is a fire hazard. Just like what happened to your card here...

Hi everyone, I've got a 2080 and 3700x on a hardline loop. Have had it for a while now. I had to replace a faulty power supply (Silver Stone strider gold 850w), because it would just power off my pc almost immediately when turning on. Long story short, i did buy it new, but cannot claim warranty. So i replaced it with a new silver stone et700 80plus gold, and it fixed the problem immediately.
I mention this because other forums about burnt gpu connectors blame the psu. I dont even bother putting a permanent overclock on, its always stock, except for the last 3 days when i started mining on my pc. Years ago ive done the same thing. My memory clock was on +1200 on afterburner (which didnt display artifacting when testing and ran fine for a little while). After a night of mining the pc would stop displaying anything (but still be on completely fine) i quickly realised the gpu is at fault. So i reset cmos and booted and then put the clock at 1000+ and it was fine over night mining. But then when i used it this morning, it showed no display again. I then disconnected the connector and saw the 8 pin was broken? The extra two pin isnt photed (https://ibb.co/CHtxZxh, on the right), luckily i have spare pcie extensions, soon after i saw 3 of the pins were burnt (https://ibb.co/jkrqvTS, https://ibb.co/nw4W77P). At the moment I've used a clean tooth brush and lightly brushed inside the connector with isopropyl alcohol. Although it doesn't look like its done too much. Ive drained my loop now to have a better look at the gpu out of the loop and i thought well, what do i do now?
It isn't really my power supply is it? Have i been that unlucky with two faulty psu's?! If it is my psu, am i even able to claim warranty, and what about my 2080?
Also, the temperatures are still really good, cpu at 63c under load and gpu at 51c under load.
Thank you for your help!

I'd say it's more likely to have shitty extensions than a bad PSU twice or a bad GPU, just based on my experience over time. What extensions are you using? cheap ones can totally try to cut corners with thinner gauge wire and shitty connectors, which could cause some heating+melting

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

This means that the connector was getting really hot. The reason would be bad contact either between connectors or somewhere else (between wires and connector? Most likely. On the card itself? Highly improbable).

I do not see any real damage to the card though. Ideally you should clean the pins with something abrasive, and probably stop using this cables. Just connect PSU cables directly, "looks" are not worth killing the card or starting a fire. Inserting extra connection points and wires into relatively high-current lines just for "looks" is honestly a thing I'll probably never understand...

Stuff like this can be commonly seen on electrical outlets when people constantly pull the plug by the wire, wire slowly starts to break heat up. It is not immediately noticeable because device continues to work, and it is a fire hazard. Just like what happened to your card here...

21 hours ago, tarfeef101 said:

I'd say it's more likely to have shitty extensions than a bad PSU twice or a bad GPU, just based on my experience over time. What extensions are you using? cheap ones can totally try to cut corners with thinner gauge wire and shitty connectors, which could cause some heating+melting

Thank you for your response. I'm using or was using the Phanteks extensions, i have had them for 3-4 years now though. Much better that they are bad than my hpu or psu thats for sure. Bit of a relief. I'll put it all back together, without the extensions and see how it goes.  

21 hours ago, Archer42 said:

Thank you for your response! It's a bit of a relief, i was thinking my card might be toast, or at least my psu. I've had these phanteks extensions for a long time now. I'll defiantly get rid of them now, and put it back together and see how it goes. Fingers crossed

4 minutes ago, Jack4404 said:

Thank you for your response! It's a bit of a relief, i was thinking my card might be toast, or at least my psu. I've had these phanteks extensions for a long time now. I'll defiantly get rid of them now, and put it back together and see how it goes. Fingers crossed

Once you get everything working be sure to verify that cables or connectors are not getting hot under load.