Windows 10 Key Questions

Skynautics

Hello there!

I'm preparing to build my own PC, but purchasing a key from Microsoft themselves will cost an additional $200, which actually still fits into my budget snugly, but I'd like to be able to save some money so I can get perhaps an RTX 2060 instead of my planned GTX 1660 Ti. I have a few questions regarding Windows 10 and the Windows 10 Keys:

• Does anyone know any reliable sources of Windows 10 keys for less than the $200 official price? I'm willing to purchase from the grey market as long as it is reliable, not a scam, doesn't deactivate after a given amount of time, and is trusted by the community.
  • If I do purchase Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store, should I buy it on the new desktop itself or can I buy it on my other laptop (and it gives a key instead of instant download)?
  • Can I just use Windows 10 without activating? Will the watermark overlay on applications that are open on the PC?

If I have any other questions, I'll let you all know in the replies below. Otherwise, thank you and I look forward to reading your responses!

11 minutes ago, Skynautics said:

Hello there!

I'm preparing to build my own PC, but purchasing a key from Microsoft themselves will cost an additional $200, which actually still fits into my budget snugly, but I'd like to be able to save some money so I can get perhaps an RTX 2060 instead of my planned GTX 1660 Ti. I have a few questions regarding Windows 10 and the Windows 10 Keys:

• Does anyone know any reliable sources of Windows 10 keys for less than the $200 official price? I'm willing to purchase from the grey market as long as it is reliable, not a scam, doesn't deactivate after a given amount of time, and is trusted by the community.
  • If I do purchase Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store, should I buy it on the new desktop itself or can I buy it on my other laptop (and it gives a key instead of instant download)?
  • Can I just use Windows 10 without activating? Will the watermark overlay on applications that are open on the PC?

If I have any other questions, I'll let you all know in the replies below. Otherwise, thank you and I look forward to reading your responses!

Some youtubers have reccomended https://www.scdkey.com/, I haven't used it myself, but the fact that they didn't think it was too shady to use them as a sponsor should give you some confidence

In order to get windows 10 onto your fresh pc you will need too load the windows media tool onto a usb via another device. Go onto youtube and have a look at how to set it up. For keys G2A does a windows 10 pro global key for $32 AUD. This is what im using on my pc and ive been using it for a few years now. You can use windows without activation but you wont have all features. The water mark will overlay on all applications.

Windows Home is $140 and OEM keys (from Microsoft) are like $99. Anything other than buying direct from Microsoft is some degree of shady.

16 minutes ago, Skynautics said:

If I do purchase Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store, should I buy it on the new desktop itself or can I buy it on my other laptop (and it gives a key instead of instant download)?

Any computer can be used to purchase. You need some form of installation media for the new computer, but that can be created for free on USB if desired. You only actually purchase the key if done digitally.

Can I just use Windows 10 without activating? Will the watermark overlay on applications that are open on the PC?

Yes, you can. There a a few limitations, but otherwise functional. Watermark on desktop only.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Another option, at least in the UK is buying a cd key through Amazon, probably still stolen. But I've gotten windows 10 keys for £4 before and if for whatever reason they don't work, its Amazon so getting your money back is a breeze. 

17 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Windows Home is $140 and OEM keys (from Microsoft) are like $99. Anything other than buying direct from Microsoft is some degree of shady.

Where do we get Windows Home for $140 and are those $99 OEM keys from Microsoft? Do you mind linking them both?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Skynautics said:

Where do we get Windows Home for $140 and are those $99 OEM keys from Microsoft? Do you mind linking them both?

Thanks!

https://www.microcenter.com/product/452014/Windows_10_Pro_32-bit_OEM_DVD_-_English?storeID=061 thats a $140 one (32bit). its a dvd, so there's that, but you can pick up an optical drive for like $20 if you don't have one already.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-64-bit/p/N82E16832588491?item=N82E16832588491&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-software+-+operating+systems-_-N82E16832588491&gclid=CjwKCAiAp4KCBhB6EiwAxRxbpGkHLv-_Ebrm2BVfgbaSnSiGwJBMNt_y-QRl6UTs91TR76JKtleDaxoCL60QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds if you want 64 bit

11 hours ago, Skynautics said:

Thanks!

$200 is the retail price for Pro. Most users don't need Pro. You should look into its features and think about whether you have use for those or not.

As for when you should buy license, doesn't matter. If you buy if directly from Microsoft, then its best to do it with that Microsoft account you are planning to use with new PC. If you buy it from retailer, it comes as keycode you active and maybe connect to Microsoft account.

Personally I only buy from retailers, not from marketplace sellers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

19 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Personally I only buy from retailers, not from marketplace sellers.

Alright, thanks for your advice. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I also have a follow-up question:

• Does replacing things like storage and RAM reset your activated Windows on a laptop? If I duplicate SSD content then place in the new SSD, does that trigger Windows to reset activation? I found a nice and cheap laptop with 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD, and I'm planning to upgrade in the future to 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD.

31 minutes ago, Skynautics said:

Alright, thanks for your advice. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I also have a follow-up question:

• Does replacing things like storage and RAM reset your activated Windows on a laptop? If I duplicate SSD content then place in the new SSD, does that trigger Windows to reset activation? I found a nice and cheap laptop with 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD, and I'm planning to upgrade in the future to 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD.

No, only motherboard might do it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

No, only motherboard might do it.

Oh, ok. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Skynautics said:

Oh, ok. Thanks!

Also, if you get retail license, you don't have to worry about that at all. Retail can be moved between systems as long as only one is activated.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

23 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Also, if you get retail license, you don't have to worry about that at all. Retail can be moved between systems as long as only one is activated.

By retail license, do you mean a license from Microsoft themselves?

By retail license, do you mean a license from Microsoft themselves?

No. All licenses come from Microsoft. There are two main types, retail and OEM. Retail is the one that costs more and is meant to be sold directly to end users. OEM licenses are cheaper as they are intended to be sold with whole new build. Which means that the company who sells the build is responsible for customer service.

Those licenses sold by marketplaces are always OEM and usually intended for business customers or corporations.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

No. All licenses come from Microsoft. There are two main types, retail and OEM. Retail is the one that costs more and is meant to be sold directly to end users. OEM licenses are cheaper as they are intended to be sold with whole new build. Which means that the company who sells the build is responsible for customer service.

Those licenses sold by marketplaces are always OEM and usually intended for business customers or corporations.

Where can we get retail licenses?

1 hour ago, Skynautics said:

Where can we get retail licenses?

Besides Microsoft store, Newegg, Amazon, MicroCenter in US. Pretty much any major retailer. They are the most common license sold by major stores. I would buy mine from Jimms or Verkkokauppa.com, the two biggest local retailers.

For example, Newegg https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-home-full-version-32-64-bit/p/N82E16832588506

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 3/6/2021 at 7:42 PM, LogicalDrm said:

Besides Microsoft store, Newegg, Amazon, MicroCenter in US. Pretty much any major retailer. They are the most common license sold by major stores. I would buy mine from Jimms or Verkkokauppa.com, the two biggest local retailers.

For example, Newegg https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-home-full-version-32-64-bit/p/N82E16832588506

Thanks a lot! How do I get that Newegg one? Do I purchase it on the new computer itself after downloading Windows?

1 hour ago, Skynautics said:

Thanks a lot! How do I get that Newegg one? Do I purchase it on the new computer itself after downloading Windows?

you can buy it on what ever PC you like, you can buy it on your phone if you feel so inclined, you will be provided with a key to input into windows, it's not a direct activation like you're thinking it is.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 hours ago, Skynautics said:

You could literally walk in to any store selling computer stuff, pick it up and pay for it. Then install and activate it when needed. Neither retail or OEM keys are activated at purchase. You can also install Windows without activation, but using it long-term without activation is related to piracy.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv