Cheapest mobo for Ryzen 5 4650G

I want to build a "gaming" PC when the laptop I currently have stops working (hopefully soon, it's 8 years old), and I want to use a Ryzen 5 4650G, and I've already looked up some motherboards, but I'm not sure I found the cheapest one out there, hoping you guys could help 🙂

You can get a B450/A520 for about 60$ though I wouldn't really recommend it. I would personally suggest spending a little more, about 80$ to get a motherboard with decent VRM's and better expandability. I would suggest the MSI B450-A PRO Max it's 80$ with a mail-in rebate, it has decent VRM's, is zen 2 ready, plus I believe you can update the bios without cpu/memory/gpu if needed.

Problem is my budget is 400€, so I'm pretty tight, and believe me, I won't be upgrading for a loooong time (basically until it stops working)

18 minutes ago, Noel1080 said:

I want to build a "gaming" PC

18 minutes ago, Noel1080 said:

and I want to use a Ryzen 5 4650G

Terrible choice IMO.

Cheap CPU + cheap GPU always were and still are better choice for games.

Not to mention that to perform decently this APU will need decent amount of fast RAM which is not going to be cheap.

Just now, Archer42 said:

Terrible choice IMO.

Cheap CPU + cheap GPU always were and still are better choice for games.

Not to mention that to perform decently this APU will need decent amount of fast RAM which is not going to be cheap.

I know I was still planning to buy a second hand rx 550 4gb and I was going to put in 16gb ddr4 2666mhz (i know its not the fastest but it's all I can afford)

Just now, Noel1080 said:

I know I was still planning to buy a second hand rx 550 4gb and I was going to put in 16gb ddr4 2666mhz (i know its not the fastest but it's all I can afford)

Also the ram would also be second hand

2 minutes ago, Noel1080 said:

know I was still planning to buy a second hand rx 550 4gb

But why APU then? You are wasting money on integrated graphics you are not going to even use.

Buy reasonably cheap CPU without graphics, cheap motherboard, and save as much as you can for GPU - that'll be the most important part for games.

3 minutes ago, Noel1080 said:

I was going to put in 16gb ddr4 2666mhz (i know its not the fastest but it's all I can afford)

To small and slow. Remember, ram will also be used as vram in case of APU.

4 minutes ago, Noel1080 said:

The APU in the 4650G is faster than the RX 550.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Just now, Downkey said:

But it can only have up to 2gb vram, while the rx 550 has 4gb

Just now, Noel1080 said:

But it can only have up to 2gb vram, while the rx 550 has 4gb

What are you using the extra VRAM for?

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

1 minute ago, Archer42 said:

But why APU then? You are wasting money on integrated graphics you are not going to even use.

Buy reasonably cheap CPU without graphics, cheap motherboard, and save as much as you can for GPU - that'll be the most important part for games.

To small and slow. Remember, ram will also be used as vram in case of APU.

iGPU and GPU because with the rx being second hand I don't trust it to not fail at some point and have no graphics

Just now, Downkey said:

What are you using the extra VRAM for?

Well beamng drive (even at low res pretty resource heavy) and trailmakers

Just now, Noel1080 said:

iGPU and GPU because with the rx being second hand I don't trust it to not fail at some point and have no graphics

Solution -
Buy a 10400, then buy a second hand RX 560/570

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Just now, Downkey said:

Solution -
Buy a 10400, then buy a second hand RX 560/570

Not sure if I'm just being picky, but I want all AMD for a change from what I have

Just now, Noel1080 said:

Not sure if I'm just being picky, but I want all AMD for a change from what I have

Also I can't get a 560/570 because I need to use a small micro atx case and I can only find a low profile rx 550 4gb

1 minute ago, Noel1080 said:

Well there is no Good AMD CPU with 6 cores and 12 threads that has an APU (that isnt overpriced af)

The 10400 is $150 and is better than a 4650G

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

If you plan to use a GPU an Integrated will be redundant.

So i suggest getting a 3600 with a RX570 4gb (around $150 used).

this will game at 1080p medium-high settings.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, Downkey said:

Well there is no Good AMD CPU with 6 cores and 12 threads that has an APU (that isnt overpriced af)

I looked at benchmarks and from what I got the 10400 is between the 3400G and the 4650G

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

If you plan to use a GPU an Integrated will be redundant.

So i suggest getting a 3600 with a RX570 4gb (around $150 used).

this will game at 1080p medium-high settings.

Same thing, I can only find a low profile rx 550 second hand that is small enough for the case I need, which is quite small, and I also want to have a "backup graphics" just in case

Just now, Noel1080 said:

Same thing, I can only find a low profile rx 550 second hand that is small enough for the case I need, which is quite small, and I also want to have a "backup graphics" just in case

what case do you have?

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

42 minutes ago, Noel1080 said:

I want to build a "gaming" PC when the laptop I currently have stops working (hopefully soon, it's 8 years old), and I want to use a Ryzen 5 4650G, and I've already looked up some motherboards, but I'm not sure I found the cheapest one out there, hoping you guys could help 🙂

The absolute cheapest motherboard that supports the 4650G is Asus prime B450M-A.

Doesn't get much cheaper than that. 

Not sure what all the hoopla is otherwise.

10 minutes ago, Downkey said:

It is not. It is ~similar assuming fast ram (and i mean not just fast, but the best you can get as it usually what is is used in reviews).

9 minutes ago, Noel1080 said:

Well, anything can break. Buying spares like this is not really great idea IMO. If/when it breaks you'll just have to deal with it.

6 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Also has iGPU, which is much worse than those in APU, but will still allow PC to work if what OP fears was to happen...

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

The absolute cheapest motherboard that supports the 4650G is Asus prime B450M-A.

Doesn't get much cheaper than that. 

Not sure what all the hoopla is otherwise.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it

1 minute ago, Noel1080 said:

Ok that's good, but RX550 is not a good gpu. It's the worse one in RX lineup.

The performance probably more or less similar to the integrated graphic.

With a high clocked memory ddr4 3600 you can achieve the same result.

I highly suggest you postpone the GPU until you can find the right card or have more money.

Rather than RX550, i suggest getting a GTX1050 or 1050ti, some have low profile.

image.png.cda5aac03f63940358bf5d5937f41ccd.png

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w