RTX 3060 Laptop Running Hot.

Go to solution Solved by genexis_x,

Shouldn't buy a MSI GF at the first place.

MSI GF65 Thin 10UE-014UK
Received the laptop today and played Forza horizon 4 maxed out. The core temps were around 90-95 (not constant) The package hit 100c!!!!!
Is this normal? Seems hot but I'm used to playing on Desktop.

1080P 144Hz IPS 15.6 Screen
Intel Core i7 10750H 6 Core 2.6GHz / 5GHz Boost
16GB DDR4 3200MHz Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB GDDR6 VRAM
1TB NVME SSD
2 x USB 3.2 Gen1 Type-A
2 x USB 3.2 Gen1 Type-C
WIFI 6
Windows 10 Home

It's a laptop. It is kinda normal, especially for those specs. Laptops really tend to get hot, I mean just look at the reference cards and their coolers.

6 minutes ago, Albert F said:

It's a laptop. It is kinda normal, especially for those specs. Laptops really tend to get hot, I mean just look at the reference cards and their coolers.

This is my first gaming laptop. I obviously expect higher temps but 100c seemed hot but if its normal then great to hear 🙂

Are you laying it down on a solid surface (a table, for example), or on a soft surface (a carpet, for example)?

Just now, lewdicrous said:

Are you laying it down on a solid surface (a table, for example), or on a soft surface (a carpet, for example)?

On a desk.

Many MSI laptops allow you to access an advanced BIOS menu. This will include options to enable CPU voltage control. Lowering your CPU voltage might allow your CPU to run a little cooler. You can also slow your CPU down. You will barely notice a decrease in performance but your temps can drop significantly. 

It is what it is with modern gaming laptops. At default settings, they run crazy hot.

1 minute ago, unclewebb said:

Many MSI laptops allow you to access an advanced BIOS menu. This will include options to enable CPU voltage control. Lowering your CPU voltage might allow your CPU to run a little cooler. You can also slow your CPU down. You will barely notice a decrease in performance but your temps can drop significantly. 

It is what it is with modern gaming laptops. At default settings, they run crazy hot.

Thanks i will definitely check this out.

Just now, JamiePCMR said:

Thanks i will definitely check this out.

1 minute ago, JamiePCMR said:

On a desk.

Alright, good.

There are laptop coolers out there that might be able to help cool it down a bit, but I haven't used one in years, so I can't give you any estimates when it comes to temp. differences.

Just now, lewdicrous said:

Alright, good.

There are laptop coolers out there that might be able to help cool it down a bit, but I haven't used one in years, so I can't give you any estimates when it comes to temp. differences.

Been looking at them. Thanks for your input.

Unfortunately gaming laptops are just like that. There just isn't a way to adequately cool a gaming laptop without making it weigh 15 pounds. This is especially bad because your CPU turbos very high and the 30 series GPUs are very power hungry (probably less so for the mobile chips, but still more than previous generations), which means tons and tons of heat.

Obviously you don't want to do this since it is brand new, but re-pasting the CPU and GPU yourself can result in substantially lower temps (use this time to clean out the vents and fans as well). I've done this to 3 laptops and every time there was WAY too much factory paste applied, which obviously negatively affected temps. Last time I did it I was able to reduce my CPU temps by an insane 15C, and GPU temps we down by 5C as well.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 3/7/2021 at 2:38 AM, genexis_x said:

I will not in the future :)

Oh man you returned it but you should know at that thin size no laptop can cool those specs

Msi specially lets the cpu boost at higher power my 10875H is also a 45W TDP cpu but it uses more than 100Watt on load and performs much better than other intel cpus yes it runs hot but if was limited it would run very poor

Some laptops run cooler because they just throttle so they offer less performance while the user think it runs better it running hot was very normal

On 3/11/2021 at 7:00 PM, Berk70 said:

Oh man you returned it but you should know at that thin size no laptop can cool those specs

Msi specially lets the cpu boost at higher power my 10875H is also a 45W TDP cpu but it uses more than 100Watt on load and performs much better than other intel cpus yes it runs hot but if was limited it would run very poor

Some laptops run cooler because they just throttle so they offer less performance while the user think it runs better it running hot was very normal

Perhaps but i got 3 BSOD in the first day due to the temps going over 100c.