RX 580 almost no overclock

Cris.py

I recently got a Saphire pulse RX 580 4gb and decided to see how much overhead I have. It should be a decent card - not necessarily great, but decent. I got power limit to +30%, but I couldn't get a stable OC over 20 Mhz. When I went from 1366 to 1400 it crashed almost immediately, with temps going no higher than 72 C. Is this expected or am I just very unlucky with silicone lottery?

Yes, RX580 is already push to the max by AMD from it's original RX480 design.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yes, RX580 is already push to the max by AMD from it's original RX480 design.

This and the card is factory overclocked already. Chips that clock up to 1400+ MHz probably got sold as Nitro+ cards.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I've seen people go as far as 1500 MHz on some samples and "normal" OC was around 1450 ish so I assumed 1400 MHz should not be a problem. Seems I was wrong.

Tried my one at 1450/2125 I think, with max power limit = crash. Anything below these values makes no bigger difference on fps (maybe 5fps more)  so I went back for stock 1413/2000. I think its not worth to do any OC on that card. 

7 hours ago, Cris.py said:

I recently got a Saphire pulse RX 580 4gb and decided to see how much overhead I have. It should be a decent card - not necessarily great, but decent. I got power limit to +30%, but I couldn't get a stable OC over 20 Mhz. When I went from 1366 to 1400 it crashed almost immediately, with temps going no higher than 72 C. Is this expected or am I just very unlucky with silicone lottery?

Your GPU may already be overclocked from the factory, leaving little overhead. I know my old Gigabyte RX 570 was and it became unstable with only like a 50 mhz overclock...Sometimes you get lucky, other times you don't. I've had CPU's and GPU's that I was able to overclock and others that throw a fit. My OC'd Ryzen 5 1600 af doesn't seem to play nice with the memory running at stock speeds. I had to underclock my ram from 3200mhz to 2800.

Have you tried overclocking only the vram? Sometimes it will yield very good results.