100Hz / 144Hz - have difference?

AzowiX

What you think?

I ask because I will purchased the Acer X27 monitor and that is support HDR up to 100Hz .

So have a difference between 100hz and 144hz on smoothness?

About 44hz of difference...

For real though, not sure it would be really perceivable in terms of noticing the difference between them. It'll still be better than 60hz.

System Specs: (Click Expand)                                              

"Beatrix"

• CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
  • RAM 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200mhz CL16
  • GPU Gigabyte Eagle RX 6700XT
  • Case Corsair Crystal 280x
  • Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Display(s) 27" Viewsonic XG2705
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans
  • Keyboard Logitech G Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed /w Powerplay
  • Sound Logitech G Pro Wired
  • Operating System Windows 10 Professional 21H1

1 minute ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

About 44hz of difference...

For real though, not sure it would be really perceivable in terms of noticing the difference between them. It'll still be better than 60hz.

Yeah I know 60hz vs 120hz for example is dramatic difference.

If you're extremely sensitive to blur and motion then you would definitely notice the difference between 144hz and 100hz, but I can't imagine it'll be terrible still.

System Specs: (Click Expand)                                              

"Beatrix"

• CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
  • RAM 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200mhz CL16
  • GPU Gigabyte Eagle RX 6700XT
  • Case Corsair Crystal 280x
  • Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Display(s) 27" Viewsonic XG2705
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans
  • Keyboard Logitech G Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed /w Powerplay
  • Sound Logitech G Pro Wired
  • Operating System Windows 10 Professional 21H1

22 minutes ago, AzowiX said:

What you think?

I ask because I will purchased the Acer X27 monitor and that is support HDR up to 100Hz .

So have a difference between 100hz and 144hz on smoothness?

It's still slightly noticeable-ish but really the moment you go above 120-144hz it's all basically the same. Depends on the person but usually the cutoff point is around 120hz.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It's still slightly noticeable-ish but really the moment you go above 120-144hz it's all basically the same. Depends on the person but usually the cutoff point is around 120hz.

So if the cutoff point is 120hz.. you think even 240hz is maybe same?

I mean desktop use and gaming.

3 minutes ago, AzowiX said:

So if the cutoff point is 120hz.. you think even 240hz is maybe same?

I mean desktop use and gaming.

Yeah people really can barely see a difference between that and 240hz if at all which for most is the case.

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah people really can barely see a difference between that and 240hz if at all which for most is the case.

This is amusing because in the past people said that the eye could not see beyond 60hz .. and over time it turned out to be a mistake ..
I wonder where the next cutting point will be.. maybe that is matter only for competitive players..

10 hours ago, AzowiX said:

This is amusing because in the past people said that the eye could not see beyond 60hz .. and over time it turned out to be a mistake ..
I wonder where the next cutting point will be.. maybe that is matter only for competitive players..

This is according to polls and people testing. This is not pulling stuff out of my butt here :p.

11 hours ago, jaslion said:

I have a theory that fps only matters when the animation on the screen requires high fps to make it resemble the percieved movement in real life, in some scene where there aren't a lot of rapid movement you can't even see the different between 60 and 144 fps, in some other the differences are definitely there.

FPS just stimulate the animation that we percieve in real life with our eyes, for the most part, those can be stimulated perfectly by just a 60 frame per second animation, however, the faster the movement the higher the frames it took to create a live-like animation. So maybe, it might just depends on the kind of animation you're looking at, most 240 fps animation probably look identical to 144 or even 120 fps one, just like a talking head video playing at 120 fps will probably look the same as a talking head video playing at 60 fps.

But there may be that one percent scene where you can actually see the differences between 144hz and 240hz

Buy hey, that's just a theory....

15 hours ago, AzowiX said:

Yeah I know 60hz vs 120hz for example is dramatic difference.

Tbh, I'm fairly certain this is a placebo effect mostly - I just got a 165hz monitor and I don't really see a diff between 60 (my old monitor) and 120, 144,165... what's a game changer is Gsync... and I think that's what most people perceive as 'better' (because it is) 

15 hours ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

If you're extremely sensitive to blur and motion

well I'm actually kinda sensitive to a lot of those things, motion blur, input lag, etc... there's definitely a lot less ghosting on this screen than on my old, but I'm not convinced this is due to refresh rate, this is more a response time thing - which isn't really depending on refresh rate afaik... 

I'm just saying I don't 'see' a big difference between 120-165hz, and consequently 60...

Therfore, for now, I'll put this down to placebo effect. 🤷🏼

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer