Is my cooler ok?

Galapagos

Hi all, 

I would just like to seek a little bit of information on my cooling system that is in my new PC.

Its a Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB. Are these any good for my setup and will it support what I am using my PC for?

Below I have added my PC Specs, If you can advise any opinions that would be very much appreciated!

PC Specs

Intel i7-10700k 8 Core 3.8Ghz

16 GBDDR4 Corsair RAM

2TB HD

1TB SSD Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2

256GB SSD Seagate BarraCuda 510 M.2 NVMe

MSI Gaming Trio X 3070

Intel WIFI

Windows 10

Asus Prime z490P

Cooling Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Be Quiet! Pure Bass 500 Case

Corsair 650W CV650

1X Exhaust Fan

1X Front Fan

1X Air Lid Vent

My idle temp is 41C. Whilst playing CS:GO at 300FPS my max temp reached around 54C - Good or Bad?

I have recently just upgraded the SSD so I will now be running games such as.. Warzone, CS:GO, Valheim, Valorant and any up and coming games that are yet to release!

I look to run the competitive games such as Warzone at 120+ FPS @ 1080P or 1440P... But then when I am playing alone on new games which are single player I will be trying out 4K.

Does everything seem ok in my build for what I am intending to do?

Thanks in advance!

14 minutes ago, Galapagos said:

Hi all, 

I would just like to seek a little bit of information on my cooling system that is in my new PC.

Its a Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB. Are these any good for my setup and will it support what I am using my PC for?

Below I have added my PC Specs, If you can advise any opinions that would be very much appreciated!

PC Specs

Intel i7-10700k 8 Core 3.8Ghz

16 GBDDR4 Corsair RAM

2TB HD

1TB SSD Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2

256GB SSD Seagate BarraCuda 510 M.2 NVMe

MSI Gaming Trio X 3070

Intel WIFI

Windows 10

Asus Prime z490P

Cooling Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Be Quiet! Pure Bass 500 Case

Corsair 650W CV650

1X Exhaust Fan

1X Front Fan

1X Air Lid Vent

My idle temp is 41C. Whilst playing CS:GO at 300FPS my max temp reached around 54C - Good or Bad?

I have recently just upgraded the SSD so I will now be running games such as.. Warzone, CS:GO, Valheim, Valorant and any up and coming games that are yet to release!

I look to run the competitive games such as Warzone at 120+ FPS @ 1080P or 1440P... But then when I am playing alone on new games which are single player I will be trying out 4K.

Does everything seem ok in my build for what I am intending to do?

Thanks in advance!

I assume since it was built that its DDR 4 ram is overclocked to its proper XMP profile and is running at its correct timings and speeds IE 2666, 3200, 3600 ETC apart from that you shouldn't have any issues with your rig but you may need a new monitor that has 240hz to fully take advantage of high frames for your hardware to push, this way even if your components cant achieve the 240hz some monitors can be set to 144 and 120hz the quickest way to check ram is one of two ways, download NZXT Cam and check ram that should say 1333, 1600,1800 respectively and then confirm that number by multiplying it twice and hitting up task manager and go into Task Manager>Performance and click into Memory and look at its speed and that speed should match the multiplied number that NZXT Cam gives you confirming that it is overclocked at its proper set timings and speeds.

Hi Chris - Thanks for the reply!

So everything seems to be good then from what you are saying..?

Il give the NZXT Cam a download then, Is it rather straight forward to check once downloaded?

I have 2x MSI G241 Monitor's that are 144hz, I had them sorted a longgg time ago as I knew I needed them to get what I want out of my new build.

11 minutes ago, Galapagos said:

Hi Chris - Thanks for the reply!

So everything seems to be good then from what you are saying..?

Il give the NZXT Cam a download then, Is it rather straight forward to check once downloaded?

I have 2x MSI G241 Monitor's that are 144hz, I had them sorted a longgg time ago as I knew I needed them to get what I want out of my new build.

yes you go to google and look for NZXT Cam install it and then run the program it'll list off your parts then youll see a few options CPU GPU and RAM with your ram having a percent of use with it, click into that to see your current timings on your ram and its default/current clock speeds followed by doubling that number you see then going to your task manager as previously mentioned that will let you know that it was properly overclocked and your rig is getting the benefit of the clock speeds 🙂

Edited by Chris Greene
Default Clock speeds is the base speed of the ram before XMP/Overclock

Your temps are fine. Normal or bit lower, probably mainly because CSGO is not that intensive for CPU. If you would have encoding or rendering running, things would be different.

The cooler is ok. Its not something I would pick considering that level of CPU you have. Like I just don't understand people who spend big money on CPU and skimp on cooling it, but thats just me.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Its because so many people say the 212 is awesome. Its been regurgitated so much that newcomers don't know any better. 

But its not lol.. its ok for a stock type cooler, but if you want to get hardcore, you don't use coolermaster.

I always get chastised for saying the 212 is junk. It will work.. but there are much, much better options out there.

But hey! What do I know 🙂

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

11 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Your temps are fine. Normal or bit lower, probably mainly because CSGO is not that intensive for CPU. If you would have encoding or rendering running, things would be different.

The cooler is ok. Its not something I would pick considering that level of CPU you have. Like I just don't understand people who spend big money on CPU and skimp on cooling it, but thats just me.

10 hours ago, freeagent said:

Its because so many people say the 212 is awesome. Its been regurgitated so much that newcomers don't know any better. 

But its not lol.. its ok for a stock type cooler, but if you want to get hardcore, you don't use coolermaster.

I always get chastised for saying the 212 is junk. It will work.. but there are much, much better options out there.

But hey! What do I know 🙂

Ok Thank you both - I didn't pick this Cooler so I am happy to change it.

Can you advise a good one that will be good for my PC? Thanks. 

8 hours ago, Galapagos said:

Ok Thank you both - I didn't pick this Cooler so I am happy to change it.

Can you advise a good one that will be good for my PC? Thanks. 

I was looking at ordering this...

Noctua NH-U9S, Premium CPU Cooler with NF-A9 92mm Fan (Brown)

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Galapagos said:

I was looking at ordering this...

Noctua NH-U9S, Premium CPU Cooler with NF-A9 92mm Fan (Brown)

Thoughts?

Don't. Its not that much better. If you want Noctua, U12A and U14S are much better options. You can get idea of relative performance of the coolers from:

Actually, just based on that 212 RGB is better than the previous versions. But only because it has better fan. The heatsink is still same. So for now, there's no need to upgrade cooler. You are already getting good temps, getting beefier heatsink would become a thing if you wanted to overclock or used it for heavy CPU tasks like encoding and rendering.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Don't. Its not that much better. If you want Noctua, U12A and U14S are much better options. You can get idea of relative performance of the coolers from:

Actually, just based on that 212 RGB is better than the previous versions. But only because it has better fan. The heatsink is still same. So for now, there's no need to upgrade cooler. You are already getting good temps, getting beefier heatsink would become a thing if you wanted to overclock or used it for heavy CPU tasks like encoding and rendering.

NH-D15 CHROMAX PURE BLACK CPU COOLER WITH DUAL 140M FANS

Thanks for your reply - What about this one mate?

11 minutes ago, Galapagos said:

That's one of the best, if not the best air cooler by performance. Costs a bit much compared to competitors, but those are just my thoughts.

I edit my posts more often than not

23 minutes ago, Galapagos said:

Like said, thats one of the top air coolers currently. Maybe not the best, but among the top5 best. You can get close to that performance with bit less. Like if I were to pick new cooler right now, it would probably be Scythe Fuma 2. Or Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT. Currently using U14S from 2013.

E: But you have to consider RAM height here too. So if you have RGB RAM, D15 is safe pick.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Shameless plug for LeGrand Macho RT.. it’s offset so it won’t block your ram like a D15, cools just as well, and is quieter out of the box. Bonus is you can run up to 90w TDP with no fan on the cooler. I ran my 3770K semi passively at 4500 and it was fine 👌🏻

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

Like said, thats one of the top air coolers currently. Maybe not the best, but among the top5 best. You can get close to that performance with bit less. Like if I were to pick new cooler right now, it would probably be Scythe Fuma 2. Or Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT. Currently using U14S from 2013.

E: But you have to consider RAM height here too. So if you have RGB RAM, D15 is safe pick.

Ok mate so I am going to order https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NH-D15-chromax-black-dual-tower-cooler/dp/B07Y87YHRH/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=noctua+d15&qid=1614630584&sr=8-3 - Can you just advise that this will fit my PC? It seems pretty big! Just want to be sure before I purchase.

3 minutes ago, Galapagos said:

Ok mate so I am going to order https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NH-D15-chromax-black-dual-tower-cooler/dp/B07Y87YHRH/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=noctua+d15&qid=1614630584&sr=8-3 - Can you just advise that this will fit my PC? It seems pretty big! Just want to be sure before I purchase.

Case has room for 190mm tall coolers, and if you have tall RAM, you may need to raise one fan a bit. So no issues with D15.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Case has room for 190mm tall coolers, and if you have tall RAM, you may need to raise one fan a bit. So no issues with D15.

Ok mate thanks alot.

Just to clarify I have Asus Z490-P Motherboard & 2x 8GB GBDDR4 Corsair RAM rgb

The D15 will be perfect you say?

On 3/1/2021 at 10:43 PM, Galapagos said:

Ok mate thanks alot.

Just to clarify I have Asus Z490-P Motherboard & 2x 8GB GBDDR4 Corsair RAM rgb

The D15 will be perfect you say?

Yes. You will need to lift the fan a bit, but no other issues.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just contact Be quiet and buy the front panel from 500DX if you need lower temps. Led strips wont work most likely. Then upgrade cooler if the massive airflow improvement was not enough. In Gamers Nexus review the cpu temps were 16C worse on 500 than with 500DX.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3575-be-quiet-pure-base-500dx-case-review-mesh-thermals-noise

On 3/1/2021 at 11:42 AM, LogicalDrm said:

Hi Bud - Today I received my new SSD which I installed and also I received the Noctua NH D-15 Chromax Black which is now in my PC.

I am so confused.. My idle temp before I installed the Chromax with the Cooler Master was around 41C.

I have just turned my PC on and I am getting an idle temp of 46C? Anyone advise if this is ok?

The tempered glass on the side of my PC is also slightly warm and where the Noctua fan is so damn big at the front the side of it actually touches the glass is this a bad thing?

4 minutes ago, Galapagos said:

Hi Bud - Today I received my new SSD which I installed and also I received the Noctua NH D-15 Chromax Black which is now in my PC.

I am so confused.. My idle temp before I installed the Chromax with the Cooler Master was around 41C.

I have just turned my PC on and I am getting an idle temp of 46C? Anyone advise if this is ok?

The tempered glass on the side of my PC is also slightly warm and where the Noctua fan is so damn big at the front the side of it actually touches the glass is this a bad thing?

Idle temps don't matter. Like literally. Only if you would be getting like 50C+ idle, then you would have issue with mount. But otherwise, doesn't matter. There are too many variables to start looking at it. Run something heavier, benchmark or stress test. Those tell much more. You should be getting around 60-70C readings with stock settings.

Heatpipes touching sidepanel don't matter, but also shouldn't even happen. You have 190mm for CPU cooler. D15 Chromax is 160mm for heatsink and 165mm with fans by default. So you have 25-30mm of space there. And even if it would touch, wouldn't make any difference to anything.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Idle temps don't matter. Like literally. Only if you would be getting like 50C+ idle, then you would have issue with mount. But otherwise, doesn't matter. There are too many variables to start looking at it. Run something heavier, benchmark or stress test. Those tell much more. You should be getting around 60-70C readings with stock settings.

Heatpipes touching sidepanel don't matter, but also shouldn't even happen. You have 190mm for CPU cooler. D15 Chromax is 160mm for heatsink and 165mm with fans by default. So you have 25-30mm of space there. And even if it would touch, wouldn't make any difference to anything.

image.thumb.png.d36ed1415581a7d77bced11ba35a3d87.png

Do this seem ok?

6 minutes ago, Galapagos said:

image.thumb.png.d36ed1415581a7d77bced11ba35a3d87.png

Do this seem ok?

Its still idle temps... The reason why idle temps don't mean anything is because there isn't real idle temps. Unless its straight from boot, you always have background tasks or browser open or something going on. So there's no actual metric to read. Instead, running heavy tasks which pin CPU at full usage, those numbers can easily be read since the temps will be stable for much longer periods.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Its still idle temps... The reason why idle temps don't mean anything is because there isn't real idle temps. Unless its straight from boot, you always have background tasks or browser open or something going on. So there's no actual metric to read. Instead, running heavy tasks which pin CPU at full usage, those numbers can easily be read since the temps will be stable for much longer periods.

image.thumb.png.0a32d02c838502ec432c16486a0ec2c8.png

This is play whilst playing CS;GO

16 minutes ago, Galapagos said:

image.thumb.png.0a32d02c838502ec432c16486a0ec2c8.png

This is play whilst playing CS;GO

That doesn't really help. Its still showing low-load temps. Can you run something like 3DMark and see the max temp it gets? Idk whether you can see logged temps with CAM, you could use CPU-Z for those etc.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv