Is it safe to plug a aux cable into computer cable from a subwoofer which has a 2 pin plug(no earth pin)?

Mahbub

So i am using a cheap speaker, the F&D 110, now in the amazon reviews i saw someone claim that its not safe to use a speaker with a 2 pin plug as it could sent overcurrent to the 3.5mm jack of the motherboard and harm the pc.. so should i change my speaker to one which has a 3 pin plug from subwoofer/ buy any 2 pin plug speaker which has blutooth connectivity and use blutooth instead of aux?

Just now, akio123008 said:

It's perfectly safe.

Thanks.. also i wanted to ask.. if i use the spdif output to a digital to aux converter amd from then conlnverter to woofer .. will that make the audio any better?

Just now, Mahbub said:

if i use the spdif output to a digital to aux converter amd from then conlnverter to woofer .. will that make the audio any better?

It depends on how good the converter is. I don't really think it's something you'd notice in practice though, audio outputs on computers tend to be ok.

3 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

It's perfectly safe.

This is the review i was talking about...can u check n tell me what he is saying...

Amd if indeed its an issue with mine too.. will adding dac in the middle (using the spdif aux converter then converter to subwoofer) mitigate the issue n make the mobo connection more safe?

Screenshot_20210228-031752.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

can u check n tell me what he is saying

What I know is that I've been using 2 pin audio equipment connected to my computer all the time without any issues. It shouldn't be an issue.

However, that of course doesn't mean that's the case in all products. There's no way of knowing if your speaker has a problem or not without somehow probing around with a multimeter or opening it up.

If you have a multimeter you can probe the 3.5mm plug to see what's going on.

I haven't had one in hand to ensure that the manufacturer didn't do something boneheadedly stupid, but my suspicion is that the reviewer doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

First off, they're probing the RING on the TRS connector, which is NOT ground, it's a signal pin. Second, it is not uncommon to see audio equipment with a chassis that isn't referenced to mains Earth. In fact, equipment that IS referenced to mains Earth is often more of a problem since it causes ground loops.

Furthermore, a smartphone is floating, so for all it cares that whole TRS jack could be sitting at +5 kV and it wouldn't matter. If there's a noticeable voltage present on the tip and the ring with respect to the sleeve (ground), then that's not really an "earthing" problem, is it?

Now, if the reviewer included relevant information about their tester, and exactly what they're testing, then I might believe it. At present, this is almost completely useless. My feeling is that if the reviewer knew enough for their test to be credible, they would have written it in a way that made sense and included relevant information. They did neither of those things.