Some benefits from NVMe Gen4 in the future?

AzowiX

Hey.

I will buy a new build and I know the Gen4 is not worth it for general use and gaming.. 

But I see maybe in the future I can got some benefits from Gen4.. when data are transfered directly from disk to video card..

That is true you think?

5900X with X570 Mobo.

Thanks.

No point in buying it now anyways by the time you start seeing differences we are a couple years further and a couple generations of gen 4 drives later that will be much better and cheaper. Besides that all it's really been doing on consoles right now is quick resume and what any ssd users on desktop basically see as normal loading times so nothing special as of yet.

My original Gen 4 drives barely hit 5,000MB/s.

I've phased all of them out for larger drivers and the newer ones hit 7,000MB/s.

Buying before you need for some improvement that may or may not materialize isn't great.

10 minutes ago, jaslion said:

No point in buying it now anyways by the time you start seeing differences we are a couple years further and a couple generations of gen 4 drives later that will be much better and cheaper. Besides that all it's really been doing on consoles right now is quick resume and what any ssd users on desktop basically see as normal loading times so nothing special as of yet.

Yeah but from what I read.. Some thinking that is make a difference in 2 years maybe.. 

maybe some years from now new generation out to the market.

And what you mean about the consoles? I know what is quick resume but that is because some fast ssd model?

5 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

My original Gen 4 drives barely hit 5,000MB/s.

I've phased all of them out for larger drivers and the newer ones hit 7,000MB/s.

Buying before you need for some improvement that may or may not materialize isn't great.

Yeah I understand.. but because it is not budget system I think to buy it now.. 

But if I compare 2TB of Gen3 to 2TB of Gen4 the price increase more..

5 minutes ago, DriftMan said:

That you could benefit from having Gen 4? Maybe

Is it worth paying more for Gen 4 then? No, we can't predict the future

Like people so so so hyped with Thunderbolt 4 when it's the same as Thunderbolt 3, it's a "new technology" that you don't know if it's good enough, the Gen 4.1 could release tomorrow making Gen 4 obsolete, you never know

Yours truly, a Z170 mobo user who paid a bit more for the SLI feature and never used it

Yeah that is correct but I only in dilemma because thats it not budget system at all.

1 minute ago, AzowiX said:

Yeah but from what I read.. Some thinking that is make a difference in 2 years maybe.. 

maybe some years from now new generation out to the market.

And what you mean about the consoles? I know what is quick resume but that is because some fast ssd model?

Just buy what you need now not for the future. Yeah 2 years is about the time that the older consoles will quit getting games but by then we will have had at least 2 generations more of gen4 drives.

3 minutes ago, AzowiX said:

I don't really understand what you're saying? Is it that you just want to spend the extra money? Then sure, go ahead. It's your money.

Just make sure you get newer Gen 4 drives, not the older, slower ones.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Just buy what you need now not for the future. Yeah 2 years is about the time that the older consoles will quit getting games but by then we will have had at least 2 generations more of gen4 drives.

But it is better to buy computer for the future.. not any case but here that is a not budget build.

What is the maximum speed of M.2 slot Gen4 ?

But it is better to buy computer for the future.. not any case but here that is a not budget build.

Around 8 GT/s, or 7.5 GB/s.
Might be a bit more.

elephants

It's better to now just by a good as big as you can drive like a sn550 2tb or something else and then later when something actually uses the speed to then spend the money you didn't spend on it.

Max speed depends on the slot if it's at x2 or x4 speed.

Just now, FakeKGB said:

Around 8 GT/s, or 7.5 GB/s.
Might be a bit more.

So.. if that is 7.5GB.. the current gen take it to the maximum?

XPG S70 for example support 7400MB/s.

Just now, AzowiX said:

So.. if that is 7.5GB.. the current gen take it to the maximum?

XPG S70 for example support 7400MB/s.

On a PCIe 4.0 x4 link (which is the max an M.2 slot can support right now), yes. we're almost at the limit.

elephants

3 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

On a PCIe 4.0 x4 link (which is the max an M.2 slot can support right now), yes. we're almost at the limit.

So.. why not to buy the new models Gen4?

I knot that is not difference at all but.. if that is the limit.. that is not gonna change in the next few years..

Just now, AzowiX said:

So.. why not to buy the new models Gen4?

I knot that is not difference at all but.. if not that is the limit.. that is not gonna change in the next few years..

Well, PCIe 4.0 is not the end of PCIe.

PCIe 5.0 is coming along with DDR5 (according to AMD) with speeds of 16 GT/s or 15.6 GB/s over a 4x link, and PCIe 6.0 is supposedly coming in 2023 or 2024, bringing a 32 GT/s or 31.6 GB/s on a 4x link.

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Well, PCIe 4.0 is not the end of PCIe.

PCIe 5.0 is coming along with DDR5 (according to AMD) with speeds of 16 GT/s or 15.6 GB/s over a 4x link, and PCIe 6.0 is supposedly coming in 2023 or 2024, bringing a 32 GT/s or 31.6 GB/s on a 4x link.

So what is your opinion? not worth it?

So what is your opinion? not worth it?

Not worth it to get a superfast PCIe 4.0 drive?
That's your choice, not mine.

I personally don't see the point since I can't tell a difference between SATA, PCIe 3.0, and PCIe 4.0, but maybe you can.

elephants

22 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It's better to now just by a good as big as you can drive like a sn550 2tb or something else and then later when something actually uses the speed to then spend the money you didn't spend on it.

Max speed depends on the slot if it's at x2 or x4 speed.

12 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Not worth it to get a superfast PCIe 4.0 drive?
That's your choice, not mine.

I personally don't see the point since I can't tell a difference between SATA, PCIe 3.0, and PCIe 4.0, but maybe you can.

What you think is the maximum costs that is "worth" to pay more for gen4?

Because have some drives of gen4.

2 minutes ago, AzowiX said:

What you think is the maximum costs that is "worth" to pay more for gen4?

Because have some drives of gen4.

None. There is currently no benefit to getting a gen4 drive and by the time they are used there will be so many much better ones out. So just get a big boi sata or gen 3 drive and call it a day.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

None. There is currently no benefit to getting a gen4 drive and by the time they are used there will be so many much better ones out. So just get a big boi sata or gen 3 drive and call it a day.

That is some strange because so many people told only AMD support on gen4 and whats in the end? that is not worth it?

And see.. @FakeKGB told the maximum speed supported by x4 is 7.5GB/s so... the current gen of fastest gen4 support the maximum of the speed..

previous gen4 drives not do that..

So maybe that is the time to take advantage of it.

So from your opinion.. the gen4 is for content creation with massive workloads?

17 minutes ago, AzowiX said:

That is some strange because so many people told only AMD support on gen4 and whats in the end? that is not worth it?

And see.. @FakeKGB told the maximum speed supported by x4 is 7.5GB/s so... the current gen of fastest gen4 support the maximum of the speed..

previous gen4 drives not do that..

So maybe that is the time to take advantage of it.

So from your opinion.. the gen4 is for content creation with massive workloads?

Gen3 is even still only useful for big content creation purposes. big data,... gaming does not take advantage of a nvme speed drive gen3 or 4 at all there is basically no difference between a decent sata drive or the fastest gen4 drive.

29 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Gen3 is even still only useful for big content creation purposes. big data,... gaming does not take advantage of a nvme speed drive gen3 or 4 at all there is basically no difference between a decent sata drive or the fastest gen4 drive.

Okay Thanks.

So who is need the gen4? I heard only heavy workloads and massive editing .

After all.. if it doesnt for anyone.. anyone will buy it.. but have some people that used this.

Fun fact - look at other ssd specs, not just headline "linear read and linear write into buffer" manufacturers like to show.

There are currently no ssd-s, pci-e 3.0 or 4.0, which can come even close to saturating pci-e 3.0 x4 link in any realistic workload, and not just linear read and discard for benchmarking purposes.

What pci-e 4.0 is currently good for in ssd market is selling the same stuff for more money. That's it. And it works, and many people will buy it simply because "it is faster".

For most users pci-e/nvme ssd-s in general are completely pointless too, but since marketing focus has shifted away from now older and "slower" pci-e 3.0 drives price difference with sata is becoming so small that they may be actually worth buying.

1 minute ago, Archer42 said:

Fun fact - look at other ssd specs, not just headline "linear read and linear write into buffer" manufacturers like to show.

There are currently no ssd-s, pci-e 3.0 or 4.0, which can come even close to saturating pci-e 3.0 x4 link in any realistic workload, and not just linear read and discard for benchmarking purposes.

What pci-e 4.0 is currently good for in ssd market is selling the same stuff for more money. That's it. And it works, and many people will buy it simply because "it is faster".

For most users pci-e/nvme ssd-s in general are completely pointless too, but since marketing focus has shifted away from now older and "slower" pci-e 3.0 drives price difference with sata is becoming so small that they may be actually worth buying.

I checking some models and seems the SX8200 Pro 2TB is good performance/price.

What you think about that?

1 hour ago, AzowiX said:

I checking some models and seems the SX8200 Pro 2TB is good performance/price.

What you think about that?

It's decent.

Has few versions with different firmware and slightly different controllers, some are slower than others, but in general any version is still a good mid-range pci-e 3.0/nvme ssd.

As any fast m.2 nvme ssd tends to get hot and might require cooling in certain conditions.

41 minutes ago, Archer42 said:

It's decent.

Has few versions with different firmware and slightly different controllers, some are slower than others, but in general any version is still a good mid-range pci-e 3.0/nvme ssd.

As any fast m.2 nvme ssd tends to get hot and might require cooling in certain conditions.

I dont think this model is mid-range...