Planning a new build/upgrade

Roxycon

Budget (including currency): Up to 15,000 NOK (have set aside money for a new GPU)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games: Star Wars Squadrons, Borderlands 3, NFS, Maneater and I do also enjoy the occational 3rd world view hack'n'slash games - Productivity: 3D modeling (mainly SketchUp but open to others), Creality 3D slicer and some coding 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

What I have today:

CPU: i7-4790k @stock speed

MB: MSI z97-m

Memory: 16 GB @1600mHz

GPU: GTX 1080 founders edition @stock speed

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 3G 1000W

Case: LianLi pc-o11D

Storage: 2,5 TB SSD's on four different 2,5inch drives, no HDD's

Cooling: currently use NZXT x60 240 aio - have a lot of custom WC gear already

Screen is 3440x1440 VA QLED, 144hz, FreeSync with reported cases of working with nvidia gpu's

Why I want to upgrade:

RAM does get the occational freeze, frustrating when I'm deep into a 3D project. The system refuses to go into BIOS (ticking time bomb), I get tearing in game/low frame rates and I want to get back into custom watercooling. 

What I currently have in my shopping list:

i7-10700KF, ASUS Maximus xii Hero, Corsair 4x8GB 3200 mHz (the three components together cost 9,600 NOK atm)

What would be nice to get:

1 or 2 TB M.2 nVME and a RTX 3080.

The fullcover CPU block from EKWB, side res/pump unit from EKWB for the case and a slim 360 rad (I already have one)

Is the upgrade worthwhile? Was there some cooling feud with the i7-10700KF? Would you change any of the components or wait some for 11700KF/K (though keep in mind that supply is bad)?

How's team red these days? Had a Radeon 295x2 and it was a nightmare on the SW side, though I'm open to them. 

if your using this build as a work machine, you might want to switch to a ryzen 5 5600x the main reason is currently running quad channle memory for some reason on that cpu causes a performance gain and stability even at high amounts of ram. ive had the cpu for a couple weeks paired with a 3080 and its working great. after spending the past 8 years watercooling my builds. id advise against it, do get a good AIO cpu cooler but most RTX 3080's if you get a triple fan stay pretty cool. my gigabyte OC Vision stays around 55-67 with the fans almost at idle. watercooling isnt really needed anymore unless your trying to break records, all that money for a 5% frps gain with the monitor you have isnt really needed. use the money and get 2x 2TB NVME SSD like 2 samsung 970 pro.

i think the maximus hero is overpriced, you don't need such an expensive motherboard. you can save some money there that could go towards a 10850k. also, i'd go for 2x16gb ram, to leave room for future upgrades.

29 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

i think the maximus hero is overpriced, you don't need such an expensive motherboard. you can save some money there that could go towards a 10850k. also, i'd go for 2x16gb ram, to leave room for future upgrades.

This 100% the money of the board could get you a better cpu without sacrificing well anything a cheaper board isn't worse.

47 minutes ago, Roxycon said:

Budget (including currency): Up to 15,000 NOK (have set aside money for a new GPU)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games: Star Wars Squadrons, Borderlands 3, NFS, Maneater and I do also enjoy the occational 3rd world view hack'n'slash games - Productivity: 3D modeling (mainly SketchUp but open to others), Creality 3D slicer and some coding 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

What I have today:

CPU: i7-4790k @stock speed

MB: MSI z97-m

Memory: 16 GB @1600mHz

GPU: GTX 1080 founders edition @stock speed

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 3G 1000W

Case: LianLi pc-o11D

Storage: 2,5 TB SSD's on four different 2,5inch drives, no HDD's

Cooling: currently use NZXT x60 240 aio - have a lot of custom WC gear already

Screen is 3440x1440 VA QLED, 144hz, FreeSync with reported cases of working with nvidia gpu's

Why I want to upgrade:

RAM does get the occational freeze, frustrating when I'm deep into a 3D project. The system refuses to go into BIOS (ticking time bomb), I get tearing in game/low frame rates and I want to get back into custom watercooling. 

What I currently have in my shopping list:

i7-10700KF, ASUS Maximus xii Hero, Corsair 4x8GB 3200 mHz (the three components together cost 9,600 NOK atm)

What would be nice to get:

1 or 2 TB M.2 nVME and a RTX 3080.

The fullcover CPU block from EKWB, side res/pump unit from EKWB for the case and a slim 360 rad (I already have one)

Is the upgrade worthwhile? Was there some cooling feud with the i7-10700KF? Would you change any of the components or wait some for 11700KF/K (though keep in mind that supply is bad)?

How's team red these days? Had a Radeon 295x2 and it was a nightmare on the SW side, though I'm open to them. 

go with a cheaper board and get a 10850k, or simply just go for the 5800x. Better CPU than the 10700K

geometry is hard
b550 > x570