CPU is not detected by the motherboard

SuicidalAussie

Hello all,

So I just finished the grueling task of moving all of my hardware to a new case, as my old one was no longer providing the airflow needed to sustain the 3090 I got. However once it was all finished I started it up and lo and behold the motherboard is telling me the cpu is not detected.

Absolute disaster. I start the computer, all of the lighting turns on, the fans start spinning and I can hear the hard drives working. The motherboard EZ debug tells me there is a problem with the CPU. Note that all of this hardware was working previously before I attempted to switch cases.

Things I have Tried:
- Checking power connections between PSU and components
- Resetting CMOS, (Kinda half assed, attempted to do it with screwdriver but not sure I did it properly)
- Taking out GPU and all but one stick of RAM, and reseating CPU
- Replaced PSU CPU cable with a spare that came with it
- Took CPU out and replaced it with a spare I had that should also work with this hardware

Things I have not tried:
- Reseating motherboard
- Any suggestions would be great

Specs:
- CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x (Replaced with 3900x for testing but still doesn't work)
- Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Pro Carbon
- Power Supply: Corsair RM850x
- RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
- GPU: MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X

Currently have the 3900x, with one RAM stick, no GPU and no fan on cooling tower installed.

empty information for me, not gonna help

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

Have you tried updating the BIOS? Your board has the ability to flash from a USB, without needing the CPU or RAM installed.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Just now, GorujoCY said:

empty information for me, not gonna help

It's almost the same color as the background on dark mode. Here it is in a more readable format:

4 minutes ago, SuicidalAussie said:

Hello all,

So I just finished the grueling task of moving all of my hardware to a new case, as my old one was no longer providing the airflow needed to sustain the 3090 I got. However once it was all finished I started it up and lo and behold the motherboard is telling me the cpu is not detected.

Absolute disaster. I start the computer, all of the lighting turns on, the fans start spinning and I can hear the hard drives working. The motherboard EZ debug tells me there is a problem with the CPU. Note that all of this hardware was working previously before I attempted to switch cases.

Things I have Tried:
- Resetting CMOS, (Kinda half assed, attempted to do it with screwdriver but not sure I did it properly)
- Taking out GPU and all but one stick of RAM, and reseating CPU
- Replaced PSU CPU cable with a spare that came with it
- Took CPU out and replaced it with a spare I had that should also work with this hardware

Things I have not tried:
- Reseating motherboard
- Any suggestions would be great

Specs:
- CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x (Replaced with 3900x for testing but still doesn't work)
- Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Pro Carbon
- Power Supply: Corsair RM850x
- RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
- GPU: MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X

Currently have the 3900x, with one RAM stick, no GPU and no fan on cooling tower installed.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

Have you tried updating the BIOS? Your board has the ability to flash from a USB, without needing the CPU or RAM installed.

My BIOS is the latest version for this motherboard, I would not be able to run the 5900x without it.

12 minutes ago, SuicidalAussie said:

My BIOS is the latest version for this motherboard, I would not be able to run the 5900x without it.

did you update to the beta bios?

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

11 minutes ago, SuicidalAussie said:

Is the mobo possibly contacting the mobo tray shorting something out?

What thermal paste did you use, possibly was it conductive and you got it over some traces or something?

Seems like you tried all the typical troubleshoot solutions including using a diff CPU which makes this either a situation where something is shorting, or you somehow did fry the mobo in the swap, although that seems very unlikely.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

20 minutes ago, SuicidalAussie said:

how about that little power connector that goes up the top by the CPU?

Just as a sanity check, check for bent pins. I had one bent pin one time that looked straight that caused me a major amount of headache.

2 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

did you update to the beta bios?

No I used the newest full version of the BIOs, specifically waited for a nom beta version.

1 minute ago, Mling said:

how about that little power connector that goes up the top by the CPU?

CPU Power? Checked it, replaced the cable with a different one, still didn't work.

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

Is the mobo possibly contacting the mobo tray shorting something out?

What thermal paste did you use, possibly was it conductive and you got it over some traces or something?

Seems like you tried all the typical troubleshoot solutions including using a diff CPU which makes this either a situation where something is shorting, or you somehow did fry the mobo in the swap, although that seems very unlikely.

Just tried starting the motherboard outside the case with just CPU, PSU, one stick of ram and a cooler and it is still giving me the error. My theory is that something has happened to the CPU socket and it is no longer working. That's the best I can come up with. hopefully warranty or something will cover it.