Console Advice

gabriestar

Hi!

Im here looking for advice on my situation.

I currently do not have a way to play games on my beloved TV.

I´ve tried in home gamestreaming and other services like Google Stadia etc. to casually play games in my living room which I didnt really like doing. 

Now im thinking about getting a console set up there. 

PS4/PS5 isnt an option because i play PS games on my main setup.

I´ve been interested in an XBox for quite a while and now i don´t know if I want the Series S or the One X, since i never used XBox before i do not have any collection of physical games that i would need a disc drive for.

My main Library would come from the Game Pass and other games i already own on Microsoft store.

Currently the One X is available used for about 200€ in Austria and the Series S for 300€ 

Do you think that future games will be supported for the one x or will they abandon the consoles in a few years?

At this point, the Xbox One X is a bad choice, unless you get an excellent deal on it

Getting a 2nd hand xbox one S is a good option too. since the previous gen xbox are still going to get games for the next 2-3 years.

also, xbox one games are getting really cheap, so it's handy to have a disc drive.

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

4 minutes ago, Zenedge said:

At this point, the Xbox One X is a bad choice, unless you get an excellent deal on it

Getting a 2nd hand xbox one S is a good option too. since the previous gen xbox are still going to get games for the next 2-3 years.

also, xbox one games are getting really cheap, so it's handy to have a disc drive.

Yeah the thing is that a second hand One S is only 50€ less than the One X where I live.

Don't get the Series S unless you really want the increased performance in games. 500 GB of space on a new console just isn't that much. It will fill up very fast, especially if you're downloading the Series S/X enhanced versions of games. Get a used One X or One S instead. They won't necessarily have more space, though there are 1TB models out there if you can find one. However, it opens up the ability to buy used disc games for dirt cheap, as well as playing Xbox 360 and OG Xbox games if you have the discs for those. And the downgraded graphics will mean games don't fill up your hard drive quite as fast.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

2 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Don't get the Series S unless you really want the increased performance in games. 500 GB of space on a new console just isn't that much. It will fill up very fast, especially if you're downloading the Series S/X enhanced versions of games. Get a used One X or One S instead. They won't necessarily have more space, though there are 1TB models out there if you can find one. However, it opens up the ability to buy used disc games for dirt cheap. And the downgraded graphics will mean games don't fill up your hard drive quite as fast.

Thats exactly what i was thinking but then theres so much people out there saying that it would be dumb to buy a One X/S right now because the new games wont be supported for too long. But i guess i also could just sell them and get used Series S/X when that actually happens.

-> Moved to Console Gaming

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

PS4's are cheap. You said you already have one, so you should have a good enough library. Combine that with PS+ for cloud game saves and you should have a somewhat seemless setup. You could also get a PSTV and/or SteamLink and set things up that way. Honestly, the Xbox Series X is kind of useless if you've got a fast enough PC and a SteamLink. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/xbox-steam-link/

Series S doesn't make much sense IMO. The SSD only has about 300 GB or so of useable space and a 1TB upgrade costs another $200. Might as well just buy the Series X in that case. Disc games are usually cheaper than digital games the first year or two they're out too. Just too many reasons to prefer the Series X as better value to the Series S on top of the Series X having 3X the gpu of the Series S. One other thing to consider: with BC games you're getting the original XBox One version of the game if you play it on Series S, while you're getting the XBox One X version of the game if you're playing on Series X. I'd pick Series X over Series S all day.

5 hours ago, Colty said:

PS4's are cheap. You said you already have one, so you should have a good enough library. Combine that with PS+ for cloud game saves and you should have a somewhat seemless setup. You could also get a PSTV and/or SteamLink and set things up that way. Honestly, the Xbox Series X is kind of useless if you've got a fast enough PC and a SteamLink. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/xbox-steam-link/

Disagree, you need like a 2080 or 2080 Super level gpu to match Series X, and if you don't have that already good luck getting that at any reasonable price right now. Series X is pretty compelling value at $500 IMO.

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Disagree, you need like a 2080 or 2080 Super level gpu to match Series X, and if you don't have that already good luck getting that at any reasonable price right now. Series X is pretty compelling value at $500 IMO.

But an Xbox Series X isn't in stock. So then what? $700/$800 for one? The price gouging is on both sides. And while $500 can get you an XSX, should you find one in stock, at least the PC is upgradeable. And I don't know about you, but putting even $800 (3080 prices) into a PC to use at a "battlestation" and in front of a big screen, to get the best of both worlds, sounds like a great idea to me. Can you justify $500 towards a living room/bedroom setup? Okay, can you also justify $300 for a GPU upgrade? Well, there's your answer. And even further than that, 3070's do pop up for sale, so do 3060Ti's, both of which are faster than the 2080. The Xbox/PS5 shortage/scalping will last just as long as the GPU issues will last, if not longer. 

8 hours ago, Colty said:

But an Xbox Series X isn't in stock. So then what? $700/$800 for one? The price gouging is on both sides. And while $500 can get you an XSX, should you find one in stock, at least the PC is upgradeable. And I don't know about you, but putting even $800 (3080 prices) into a PC to use at a "battlestation" and in front of a big screen, to get the best of both worlds, sounds like a great idea to me. Can you justify $500 towards a living room/bedroom setup? Okay, can you also justify $300 for a GPU upgrade? Well, there's your answer. And even further than that, 3070's do pop up for sale, so do 3060Ti's, both of which are faster than the 2080. The Xbox/PS5 shortage/scalping will last just as long as the GPU issues will last, if not longer. 

Why are you using $800 for Series X prices and not $2000 for 3080 prices if you're talking scalper prices then?

On 2/20/2021 at 9:09 AM, Zenedge said:

I love that you're calling the One X a bad choice, and yet somehow the S is a stellar one. Upgrading from an S to an X was the single best choice I've made when it comes to consoles. It's a no-brainer considering how much more console you get for not much more money.

OP, you may as well just pick up a used One X. The Ones will likely still have a few years to go before games start drying up for them, and the Series S is a bit of a rip-off to use as a "proper" console.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

If you have gamepass and that's good enough for you.  Go the Series S.  It's not bad.  It only has 500GB of storage but think about it in the sense that you play one maybe two games at a time.  So uninstall as you finish.   With the One X, it's fine, it's not as powerful as the Series S, but it still has enough power to hold up.  But the thing is that it's last gen.  We assume Microsoft will support it for at least a couple more years, but you shouldn't assume anything, better to drop the little bit extra on a Series S or Series X, instead of 200 now and then an extra however much a couple years from now.

If you can find a Series X for MSRP, get that instead, it's more expensive than the One X or Series S, but you get a lot more console.  The Series X is fully backwards compatible too, and provides enhancements for many games.  Then just stop at a used gamestore or your country's equivalent of eBay or something, and pick up a bunch of old Xbox One games used for not a lot of money.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.