First PC build need some help

IAmJuice

Budget (including currency): between £4500-£5000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I want it to run most modern games at top graphics and run well at the same time

details: 

- AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor

- NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 or a 3080

- Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

- VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 4000MHz C19

- Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (I might add a 2nd one not sure yet. or put in a 2TB SSD instead.)

- Seagate IronWolf Pro 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

- Asus ROG Strix Helios ATX Full Tower Case

Could someone be able to help me with choosing a good motherboard as I'm not sure whats the best for this setup (I was looking at the MSI motherboards but I got confused).

any other advice would be great as this is my first time building a PC like this. I have some experience but not loads and want to make sure I am doing everything right.

thanks

Get a X570 motherboard that suits your budget. They all work the same, the difference is the features.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

40 minutes ago, IAmJuice said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I want it to run most modern games at top graphics and run well at the same time

details: 

- Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (I might add a 2nd one not sure yet. or put in a 2TB SSD instead.)

Could someone be able to help me with choosing a good motherboard as I'm not sure whats the best for this setup (I was looking at the MSI motherboards but I got confused).

any other advice would be great as this is my first time building a PC like this. I have some experience but not loads and want to make sure I am doing everything right.

thanks

You'd be fine with a 3080, a 3090 has plenty more vram and costs way more than what you'd get, or if you're concerned with increased vram usage as time passes, you could go with a 3090.

IMO, you could go for a seagate barracuda drive of 4 tb. Iron Wolf Pro drives are meant for NAS or servers, where they would be constantly running everyday, along with Seagate's data recovery and 5 year warranty. So, you could probably avoid it if you want to.

You could however go with 32 gigs of RAM which would go a longer way into future proofing it for gaming. Also, since youre using an hdd for storage you probably won't need a 2 tb ssd, 1 tb of 970 evo plus is good enough. Or with the kind of budget you have, you could go with a pcie gen 4 ssd which are faster. MSI x570 boards are good, see what features you need and you can choose accordingly, they are all flagship premium mobos.

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

52 minutes ago, IAmJuice said:

details: 

thanks

Yeah not the best 3080 but it’s the cheapest one on stock 

You could also easily use a B550 Tommahawk aswell

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Welcome to PC building!

I've done a few and I'll throw some recommendations your way that I would do were it my PC build.

1: Get 4 sticks of ram, Ryzen CPUs love ram speed and actually it appears they like having 4 sticks... to quote Gamers Nexus recent video: Here

"on previous AMD platforms; in fact, running 2 sticks of RAM was sometimes better because it'd be easier to stabilize the tighter timings and higher frequencies than running 4 sticks of RAM. Now, with Zen 3 and the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, R9 5900X, R7 5800X, and Ryzen 5 5600X, it's become clear that 2x8GB vs. 4x8GB can impact performance"

2: Storage: the 970 evo NVME is great. given the price of storage relative to your budget. i would personally ditch the 4tb HDD and get more NVME storage, you didn't specify exactly why you need 4tb of storage but if it is for gaming or even general computing with large files... IMO high speed NVME storage would be much preferable.

3: Full atx cases are GIANT, I love an atx case that fits everything I want, offers AIO rad support and does so in the smallest package possible, MY current case is: Fractal Design Meshify C I love it, it offers great cooling... it will not however fit a 360 radiator. I would recommend investigating whether a 360 rad will give you the amount of improvement that you really want versus a 240 or 280 radiator... from what i've seen there's not much difference I'll put an image at the bottom showing what i mean.

4: 3080 vs 3090: some would possibly argue that 10GB Vram may not be enough in the coming years but IMO for the price difference the 3080 is 90% of the performance at 60% of the price. as to the Vram not being enough... in the coming years it will only force you to turn down certain graphical settings that don't affect image quality as much as just reduce total vram usage... so it's your call.

5: which motherboard? I recommend checking out Actually Hardcore Overclocking's thoughts on motherboard quality: Here and Gamers Nexus: Here

ek-aio-360-review_3950x-oc-35dba.thumb.png.34ccab694b61f6700adcd1d2205e9a20.png

Are you doing anything else apart from gaming ? If not then the 5950X is a massive waste of cash.

Also what monitor do you have, or plan on buying ?

Thanks all.

This will make things so much easier with all of your advice.

👍

2 hours ago, Maxxtraxx said:

great monitor, response to the need for a 5950X: if the 5950X is what you want, in your budget, and doesn't cause you to give up other more beneficial gaming upgrades because of the price, then go for it.

He could also get 128GB Ram, but that doesn't mean he should do it. Spending nearly £900 on a cpu for gaming is just stupid. Of course if he is doing something that can make use of it then that is a different matter. At 1440p there will be no difference between an R5 5600X and R9 5950X in gaming when paired with an RTX 3090. So you are basically paying out an extra £450+ for no gain.

12 hours ago, lee32uk said:

He could also get 128GB Ram, but that doesn't mean he should do it. Spending nearly £900 on a cpu for gaming is just stupid. Of course if he is doing something that can make use of it then that is a different matter. At 1440p there will be no difference between an R5 5600X and R9 5950X in gaming when paired with an RTX 3090. So you are basically paying out an extra £450+ for no gain.

you can also get to work or anywhere you need in a yugo, why anyone would buy something other than a yugo for work is completely stupid.

the fact that he wants something with more power and luxury than he plans to use at the moment is completely normal and perfectly fine. please don't call someone's desire stupid if they have worked hard and have the money and desire to get it, he's willing and able to do this because he wants it.

Go for it dude! you worked hard, it's your money, it's your PC, don't let anyone convince you a 1000$ processor is stupid while most people drive a car and live in a house that has more power and luxury than anyone Needs.

2 hours ago, Maxxtraxx said:

you can also get to work or anywhere you need in a yugo, why anyone would buy something other than a yugo for work is completely stupid.

the fact that he wants something with more power and luxury than he plans to use at the moment is completely normal and perfectly fine. please don't call someone's desire stupid if they have worked hard and have the money and desire to get it, he's willing and able to do this because he wants it.

Go for it dude! you worked hard, it's your money, it's your PC, don't let anyone convince you a 1000$ processor is stupid while most people drive a car and live in a house that has more power and luxury than anyone Needs.

The op is here for advice on a pc. Maybe he doesn't know what parts are best suited for his needs. It is easy to go on pcpartpicker and select the most expensive part. Anyone can do that. The fact is we should be giving advice on what is best for the op's needs. If he wants to ignore it and buy a 5950X then that is up to him, but I stand by my comment that it is stupid to spend nearly £900 on a cpu if you are just gaming.

We don't even know what the op is using the system for, so not sure anyone can suggest a build yet.

@IAmJuice What is the pc being used for ? 

2 hours ago, lee32uk said:

The op is here for advice on a pc. Maybe he doesn't know what parts are best suited for his needs. It is easy to go on pcpartpicker and select the most expensive part. Anyone can do that. The fact is we should be giving advice on what is best for the op's needs. If he wants to ignore it and buy a 5950X then that is up to him, but I stand by my comment that it is stupid to spend nearly £900 on a cpu if you are just gaming.

We don't even know what the op is using the system for, so not sure anyone can suggest a build yet.

@IAmJuice What is the pc being used for ? 

Fact is we should be giving the OP advice based upon his needs and wants. Yes he is free to do as he pleases, but calling his decision to go with a 16 core Stupid because it is your opinion is that having a PC that is more powerful than necessary is wrong.

Stand by your comment... but recognize that it is your opinion and nothing else. So it is your Opinion that that choice is "Stupid". The same "stupid" logic the OP is applying here is applied everyday by you and me and billions of others to a multitude of other life decisions and is not called stupid. Next time you buy anything other than a used compact car, a used low end smartphone, a house with any more space than absolutely necessary, a hamburger that costs more than a Mcdonalds cheeseburger, a beer pricier than a keystone light, a pair of shoes other than from walmart,... think about how "stupid" your decision is.

28 minutes ago, Maxxtraxx said:

Fact is we should be giving the OP advice based upon his needs and wants. Yes he is free to do as he pleases, but calling his decision to go with a 16 core Stupid because it is your opinion is that having a PC that is more powerful than necessary is wrong.

Stand by your comment... but recognize that it is your opinion and nothing else. So it is your Opinion that that choice is "Stupid". The same "stupid" logic the OP is applying here is applied everyday by you and me and billions of others to a multitude of other life decisions and is not called stupid. Next time you buy anything other than a used compact car, a used low end smartphone, a house with any more space than absolutely necessary, a hamburger that costs more than a Mcdonalds cheeseburger, a beer pricier than a keystone light, a pair of shoes other than from walmart,... think about how "stupid" your decision is.

We should be giving him advice on what is best for his needs. If someone asked you to spec a gaming pc are you honestly saying you would recommend a 16 core cpu ? If the op doesn't care about saving money then fine, but for most people who have to work hard for things then ~£400 - 500 isn't a trivial amount.