Windows Explorer can't Open files on NAS, but can copy them

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
3 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

A, because nas is very expensive (in india at least)

B, I don't need so much storage

C, I already have external hdd, with nas I'd have to buy seperate internal hdds

Now could you please please help me out with the original issue

HOw about a raspberry pi or a cheap pc? 

Windows doesn't like FTP, and its not secure. You want smb if you want to be able to use the nas like that.

I bought a TP Link Archer C1200 Router today, attached a 2TB HDD, started a ftp server. My Phone (wifi) can read, open, and play videos from the ftp server, but my Windows Explorer can only Copy, when I right click on any file, it shows only a limited amount of options (image below). And if I open the file, it shows "How to open?" (also image below). I do have Full Write Access, as I can delete and copy stuff from my phone (wifi).

Other 3rd party FTP softwares might work on pc but I don't want to download extra softwares and I also want to access the drive as if it was an actual drive on windows explorer's native drive, so I woudn't have to download a entire movie to play it halfway. Raidrive does put virtual drives

image.png.5aba1a706c1010340729a9a864f55cc9.png

\/

image.png.27d598073370542a78abeb226ae96860.png

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

WHy are you using FTP, use SMB here. THen you can mount and use it like any other drive in windows, and its more secure.

There isn't a option for that, just ftp, ftp internet, and media (which is worse)

There isn't a option for that, just ftp, ftp internet, and media (which is worse)

I wouldn't use the hdd on the router then. There known for not being secure. Just plug the hdd into your desktop and make a share in there.

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I wouldn't use the hdd on the router then. There known for not being secure. Just plug the hdd into your desktop and make a share in there.

That's the whole reason I bought the router today, so that I wouldn't have to keep my pc running all the time. Isn't there any other way? It works on my phone tho

Edit: I also read that smb is turned off on windows become it's less secure

Edited by Mr.Stork

17 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

That's the whole reason I bought the router today, so that I wouldn't have to keep my pc running all the time. Isn't there any other way? It works on my phone tho

Edit: I also read that smb is turned off on windows become it's less secure

smb is the main protocol windows is using, its not going away. SMB1 is a old version that is disabled.

If you just want a network share, why not just get a NAS instead of a router? Seems like a much better option here.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

smb is the main protocol windows is using, its not going away. SMB1 is a old version that is disabled.

If you just want a network share, why not just get a NAS instead of a router? Seems like a much better option here.

Windows doesn't like FTP, and its not secure. You want smb if you want to be able to use the nas like that.

12 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yeah I kinda wanna get a rasberry pi, how much ram would I need? Im thinking of getting this 2gb ram version bundle from amazon, which has all essential stuff included, rasberry also has 2x3.0 ports, while my router has only 1x2.0, seems better

7 hours ago, Mr.Stork said:

Yeah I kinda wanna get a rasberry pi, how much ram would I need? Im thinking of getting this 2gb ram version bundle from amazon, which has all essential stuff included, rasberry also has 2x3.0 ports, while my router has only 1x2.0, seems better

Yea that pi will work fine. IDK what the pricing is like in india, but has all you need other than a hdd.

On 2/20/2021 at 9:53 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea that pi will work fine. IDK what the pricing is like in india, but has all you need other than a hdd.

ok will get that then