Terrible temps with noctua nh-d15

kary

I bought a week ago a noctua nh-d15 for my ryzen 7 2700x and the themps very high. Like idle 50 under load 80. with out any oc. The case airflow should be fine.
What can i do for better themps?

Did you take the plastic off of the base before installing it?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

What are your specs and how many fans in your case?  What kind of paste did you use?  Is the correct mounting bracket installed?  

I use the correct bracket(am4), i used the included paste (noctua nt-h1), The case is a Cooler master h500 (2x200mm fans in the front)+ 1 noctua in the back+1 in the top. 

13 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Did you take the plastic off of the base before installing it?

Yes, ofcorse 

12 minutes ago, kary said:

Yes, ofcorse 

It has been known to happen occasionally, so it's not that much of an odd question to be fair... just covering all the bases.

Have you checked the fan curve, altered it for the CPU and other fans? it could be that simple... also see if AMD cool and quiet is on and check other bios options.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

My undervolted 3600 paired with a Noctua NH-U12S and five NF-P14s (3 push, 4 pull) tends to idle at about 60C, though that might be because of my aggressively low fan curves in Argus Monitor.  Under load it never goes past like 75C, which is far, far away from the 95C max temp.  So, at least from what I know, your experience is fairly normal.  If you want to lower the idle temp more, you could have a more aggressive fan curve.

The fan speed actully not make any sense if i put fix 1500 the temps mainly the same as if i use 500 rpm

3 minutes ago, kary said:

The fan speed actully not make any sense if i put fix 1500 the temps mainly the same as if i use 500 rpm

Did you install any of the noctua fans, in the case or on the cooler, with the included low noise adapters?  Are your fans all connected directly to the motherboard, or are you using some sort of controller for your case fans?

Don't be shy with the NT-H1. Its not very good so use a little more.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

2 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Don't be shy with the NT-H1. Its not very good so use a little more.

I use another type of termal paste to( thermal grizzly)

6 minutes ago, metaleggman said:

Did you install any of the noctua fans, in the case or on the cooler, with the included low noise adapters?  Are your fans all connected directly to the motherboard, or are you using some sort of controller for your case fans?

I connect them directly to the motherboard right now only with one nf14 

22 minutes ago, kary said:

I connect them directly to the motherboard right now only with one nf14 

Hmm.  Download Argus Monitor and play around with the temps and fan curves in there.  As @paddy-stone mentioned, do you have any settings in bios related to cooling?  Argus Monitor can override BIOS fan control, so it might help you find the root cause.  That said, 50C isn't terrible, unless your load temps are off the charts, then we know there's a major issue going on.

2 minutes ago, metaleggman said:

Hmm.  Download Argus Monitor and play around with the temps and fan curves in there.  As @paddy-stone mentioned, do you have any settings in bios related to cooling?  Argus Monitor can override BIOS fan control, so it might help you find the root cause.  That said, 50C isn't terrible, unless your load temps are off the charts, then we know there's a major issue going on.

I think this themps terrible becouse the stock cooler do better 

Hmmm I just realized you mentioned that it gets up to 80 under load, which would be a bit high for the NH-D15.  What are you using to report the temperature?  I'm looking into it and it seems AMD generally reports the Tctl to most apps, and is what's used for fan control, but it's apparently +10C from the actual Tdie temperature. If you're using something that doesn't rely on Ryzen Master, you're likely seeing Tctl, so your temps may actually be 40C and 70C.  Granted I would assume you'd see something closer to 60-70C on load with the noctua

Also, what's your ambient temperature?  Have you checked your BIOS yet?

8 minutes ago, metaleggman said:

Hmmm I just realized you mentioned that it gets up to 80 under load, which would be a bit high for the NH-D15.  What are you using to report the temperature?  I'm looking into it and it seems AMD generally reports the Tctl to most apps, and is what's used for fan control, but it's apparently +10C from the actual Tdie temperature. If you're using something that doesn't rely on Ryzen Master, you're likely seeing Tctl, so your temps may actually be 40C and 70C.  Granted I would assume you'd see something closer to 60-70C on load with the noctua

Also, what's your ambient temperature?  Have you checked your BIOS yet?

I am pretty sure this is some thing with a cooler, i contact with noctua what they say

45 minutes ago, kary said:

I think this themps terrible becouse the stock cooler do better 

If the stock cooler really does better, then there's something wrong with your mounting of the D15 I'd say, there's no way that the stock cooler should be reporting better temps than a D15. Check your paste application and mounting pressure. If they're still the same after trying all that, then maybe the D15 has a manufacturing defect, return it to the retailer and get a replacement and try again.

BTW I know it's not the same, but my 2600X using very low fan speeds (barely audible) with a £42 240mm AIO cooler on a Lancool II case with bequiet pure wings 2 fans on gives me idle temps of approx 30-36C at around 20-24C ambient temps (estimated).

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Gonna be a weird one, but make sure your Asus chipset drivers are up to date.  I just updated mine, and my temps dropped by 20 C.  Not sure if that's a reporting issue, a real one, something to do with BIOS settings, CTR, etc., but something worth looking into.