Best Zoom Lens for Wildlife

Hey guys, so I recently bought a new Sony A7S III, and imma buy several lenses for it... I’m mainly confused about the zoom lens that im gonna buy, but I’ll list the other lenses as well if yall have any other suggestions... ok so I’m confused between the Sony 200-600mm and the Sigma 60-600mm... I will be getting an MC-11 adapter for the Sigma...So, will the huge focal range of Sigma help me or is it not worth it? Is the 200-600mm from Sony too zoomed in or is it fine? I’d really appreciate your help... My other lenses are:

Prime: Sony 50mm f1.4

Wide Angle: Sony 12-24mm f2.8

Macro: Sony 100mm f2.8 Macro Lens

Zoom: One of the aforementioned 

Kindly give me any suggestions or advice on the other lenses as well, I’d really appreciate it

I don't use Sony but the focal length range you use depends on your intended use scenarios. Wildlife still covers a range of use cases. You'll have to look up reviews of the optical quality of both, if they are likely to satisfy you. Generally speaking the bigger zoom range models like the Sigma are more difficult to design to work over such a range and as such may not be as good, but can still be good enough. Also look up the weight of them. I still own a 300/2.8 which is a similar size class, and I don't find it fun to carry around for hours. If you're going to be mostly stationary with some weight support (monopod, tripod), that wont be a problem.

BTW if you think you want the range of the Sigma, but prefer the Sony lens, you might consider going 2nd camera. In my mobile setup I'd use a 100-400 as my main and have a 15-85 on a 2nd camera just in case.

Just talking about it is making me feel like I should get out more and use the kit again 😄 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, porina said:

I don't use Sony but the focal length range you use depends on your intended use scenarios. Wildlife still covers a range of use cases. You'll have to look up reviews of the optical quality of both, if they are likely to satisfy you. Generally speaking the bigger zoom range models like the Sigma are more difficult to design to work over such a range and as such may not be as good, but can still be good enough. Also look up the weight of them. I still own a 300/2.8 which is a similar size class, and I don't find it fun to carry around for hours. If you're going to be mostly stationary with some weight support (monopod, tripod), that wont be a problem.

BTW if you think you want the range of the Sigma, but prefer the Sony lens, you might consider going 2nd camera. In my mobile setup I'd use a 100-400 as my main and have a 15-85 on a 2nd camera just in case.

Just talking about it is making me feel like I should get out more and use the kit again 😄 

Alright thanks a lot... I’ll check out the reviews for sure 🙂

If you're on Sony, I've heard good things about the Sony 100-400mm GM and the Sony 200-600mm G. I have the Sigma 100-400mm, but it doesn't work with Sony's teleconverters, so I only get out to 400mm.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

The best choices on the E-Mount is both the 100-400GM and the 200-600G alongside the 100-400 Contemporary from Sigma if cost is a bigger factor.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1