Will smartphones ever replace handheld console and what it would take to do it?

centurion_08

At this point inn time, smartphone GPUs have so much spare performance that even when throttled back, they still easily overtake the Nintendo Switch.

For a mobile dedicated device to really stand out from portable gaming, it needs to be able to do gaming really well, while not being a pain to carry alongside the obligatory phone, and not a lot of portable gaming devices quite hit this lofty goal. As far as designs go, I feel the Nintendo DS lite really hit the mark for portability, and usability. Given how far screens have come, a DS form factor could work a lot better today than 15 years ago, maybe even incorporating a folding screen. The other big draw of the Nintendo DS was the very long battery life under gaming loads. Smartphone SoCs are tuned heavily towards bursty performance that wouldn't be especially well suited to a device requiring sustained, consistent performance. Efficiency, arguably, is an even more crucial factor for the viability of a gaming device than more generalized smartphones. A hypothetical DS with dual OLED screens, an Apple SoC, good controls, and some 10+ hour battery life under gaming loads could allow this device to distinguish itself from phones.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

• 1 month later...

I know this topic is old but to answer your question yes i diffently believe smartphones have just beaten the handheld gaming devices.

As far as i can tell mobile phones now can emulate most old consoles easily ps2, gamecube,snes,n64... and now can even emulate switch and with the release of genshin impact and soon noah heart and the port of warframe soon i can just wonder how long it will take before we see an old triple A titles ported to android and ios and how long it would take for an android  and ios to be on the list of supported platforms in future big titles