Does my whole connection get taken down if one IP gets DDOS'ed that is different from the other IPs connected to the same modem?

InfinitySSH

So I have another question for the community.

I have a home server set up (ubuntu server edition) and I have it hooked up to an ethernet connected directly to my modem, giving it a different IP than my other devices.

My question is, if my IP gets ddosed, does only the device with that IP get downed or does everything on the modem get downed, even though everything has a different IP?

I seriously doubt you get multiple public IPs from your ISP, it's normally something you need to pay extra for, or sometimes not available at all outside of business customers. 

I'd check from both your server and another device on the network on a site like whatsmyip.com. You'll likely find they share the same IP, as the vast majority of consumer connections use a single public IP and the devices on the local network use NAT to allow multiple local IPs to share a single publicly addressable address. 

So basically, yeah, if you get DDoSed, it's going to be the public IP that all your local devices share so it will affect everything on the network in terms of accessing the internet. 

As @Oshino Shinobu said. But if you *do* have multiple public IPs, and you do get DDOS’d, it would still cause an outage for you because the total traffic coming to/through your modem will exceed your connection from your ISP.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

On 2/14/2021 at 6:40 PM, InfinitySSH said:

I have a home server set up (ubuntu server edition) and I have it hooked up to an ethernet connected directly to my modem, giving it a different IP than my other devices.

My question is, if my IP gets ddosed, does only the device with that IP get downed or does everything on the modem get downed, even though everything has a different IP?

Everything on your modem.

Think of it as a pipe, ISP gets big pipe, you have a small pipe to your home. Someone floods that pipe, you get very wet and there's nothing you can do.

This is generally why when you get DDoS'd restarting your modem is a legitimate tactic, your ISP will probably assign you a new IP as your old session is still active and the DDoS goes away. Unless you have a static in which case you need to wait it out, or get a new one.

Many ISP's will give you a second ip address, you just need to ask for it.. or purchase that capability..

and yes, if you get ddos'd, it will take all devices attached to your modem down.. too much traffic down the pipe... only way to combat that is to get a bigger pipe or your isp may have some sort of mitigation in their systems... My eldest used to get ddos'd on a near daily basis.. i just got a connection big enough where these kids can't fill the connection..  and set my firewall to DROP stuff as to not send any replies back to the attack connections/data.

On 2/14/2021 at 12:40 AM, InfinitySSH said:

Firstly what you call is modem is most likely an internet gateway. Modem/Router. In a way your kinda connected to two networks. You have the private network your router creates. The IP addresses used on this network cant NOT be used out over the internet, they are private IP's and can only be used in a home network. The second network is your ISP's that connects you to the internet. When traffic hits your router it determines if its local or needs to go to the internet. If it needs to go over the internet then NAT is used. NAT allows you to share the 1 IP address your ISP gives you between multiple devices. 

That all being said, some ISP's will provide multiple IP addresses but some will not. Some ISP's have restricted the practice to businesses users because all the IPv4 addresses have been handed out. Meaning outside of buying them off companies that no longer need them. There are no more to be had. 

Now to your question. Yes if your server is DDOS'ed it will take down your entire internet connection. Because regardless all the data will hit your gateway and overwhelm it. Then you will  be on the phone begging your ISP to change your IP address. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.