Worth replacing keycaps on Mechanical Keyboard

Javilen

I have a 10 year old Ducky that is starting to look a bit gross with its keycap shine and tarnished legends.  Is it worth replacing the caps or would it be better going for a new keyboard?   Caps seem to be around $50 whine a new keyboard world be $100.  Switches feel fine in comparison to a tester board. 

I'd argue you should get just a new keyboard. Unless you are very attached to your current one. If you buy a brand new one it's gonna last a lot longer and hopefully give you more features.

$50? well there are some cheaper caps if you want to.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

6 minutes ago, Rugg said:

I'd argue you should get just a new keyboard. Unless you are very attached to your current one. If you buy a brand new one it's gonna last a lot longer and hopefully give you more features.

If they like it and it's not broken, why bother? 

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

I mean, not everybody can afford small-batch custom keycap sets lol. $50 ain't bad. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

1 minute ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

If they like it and it's not broken, why bother?

It's just usually pretty price inefficient to buy keycap sets is all I'm saying. There's plenty of reasons to just buy new keycaps but idk what the budget is or what OP is working with right now.

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

Not really a budget issue.  Not having luck finding something I would like,  Closest would be a color scheme similar to this:

20190511171636viuxfj1LC1.png

You can just buy 2 cheap $10 set, and just mix and match it.

All i'm saying is getting a new keyboard is a waste of engineering.

Ducky can last like forever, if it broke you can just replace the switch.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

20 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

You can just buy 2 cheap $10 set, and just mix and match it.

All i'm saying is getting a new keyboard is a waste of engineering.

Ducky can last like forever, if it broke you can just replace the switch.

I'm not throwing it out.  Gonna make a good macro/gaming board.  Also a good excuse to also try blues since i have been using browns for a while.

Well you've set your mind then, go ahead.

16 minutes ago, Javilen said:

I'm not throwing it out.  Gonna make a good macro/gaming board.  Also a good excuse to also try blues since i have been using browns for a while.

If you want to try clicky switches, I recommend getting decent ones, and not Cherry MX Blues. E.g. Box Pink, Box Navy or Box Jade.

:)

6 hours ago, seon123 said:

If you want to try clicky switches, I recommend getting decent ones, and not Cherry MX Blues. E.g. Box Pink, Box Navy or Box Jade.

totally agree

Bleu switches are using click jacket and they sound rattly compared to switches that uses click bars which sounds really sharp.  my favorite for now is kailh box white

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

5 hours ago, Dr0y said:

totally agree

Bleu switches are using click jacket and they sound rattly compared to switches that uses click bars which sounds really sharp.  my favorite for now is kailh box white

Ill try a switch tester.  My pre-order wont be fulfilled until late march anyways. Pretty painless to cancel.

1 hour ago, Javilen said:

Ill try a switch tester.  My pre-order wont be fulfilled until late march anyways. Pretty painless to cancel.

gmmk with some switches and keycaps are usually the go to for someone that want to experiment with switches ... that way it doesn't cost a complete keyboard if you want to try another set of switches. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

On 2/14/2021 at 12:37 PM, Dr0y said:

gmmk with some switches and keycaps are usually the go to for someone that want to experiment with switches ... that way it doesn't cost a complete keyboard if you want to try another set of switches. 

Turns out I like the feel of the blues more.  The box whites do sound sharper though.  I tend to bottom out and would probably be fine with either.

On 2/15/2021 at 5:18 PM, Javilen said:

Turns out I like the feel of the blues more.  The box whites do sound sharper though.  I tend to bottom out and would probably be fine with either.

maybe the box navy then spring is heavier and click bar thicker

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

• 1 month later...

Things have escalated quickly.  This had turned into another quarantine project.  Ended up going full custom with box pinks.  Currently developing a modified QMK firmware in Visual Studio since IntelliSense is such a crutch.  Gonna get those lock leds working.

20210330_000124.jpg

On 3/30/2021 at 3:13 AM, Javilen said:

Things have escalated quickly.  This had turned into another quarantine project.  Ended up going full custom with box pinks.  Currently developing a modified QMK firmware in Visual Studio since IntelliSense is such a crutch.  Gonna get those lock leds working.

20210330_000124.jpg

It looks beautiful, love the keycaps ...

how do you like the box pink ?

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

On 4/2/2021 at 2:11 AM, Dr0y said:

It looks beautiful, love the keycaps ...

how do you like the box pink ?

Box pinks have a nice weight to them.  Louder than whites but not as loud as jades.  I like them a lot.

On 3/30/2021 at 1:13 AM, Javilen said:

Gonna get those lock leds working.

This may not be possible with any amount of coding if the LED's aren't addressable individually or just plain on separate physical circuits from each other. 

5 minutes ago, geo3 said:

This may not be possible with any amount of coding if the LED's aren't addressable individually or just plain on separate physical circuits from each other. 

I lucked out on this one.  Soldered in the leds and it worked without any modification.  QMK does have functions for indicators however, you are right about the address issue on some boards.

3 minutes ago, Javilen said:

I lucked out on this one.  Soldered in the leds and it worked without any modification.  QMK does have functions for indicators however, you are right about the address issue on some boards.

Out of curiosity, what PCB is it?

Just now, geo3 said:

Out of curiosity, what PCB is it?

melody 96 with hot-swap sockets.  I did flash it with the default QMK profile before testing the leds.